Top Shelf Aquatics

Background color

reeferinbama

reeferinbama

I hope this should be in the aquascaping section...

I had decided on a black plexi background on my tank because I have to cover up something I don't like seeing on the back of the tank. I really wanted to leave it clear, but no dice. Now, I am having second thoughts because it just won't look clean enough for me.

What would you guys think of using white plexi? Or maybe a very pale blue?

Thanks,

Steven

White is a standard option on many tanks and looks good. A royal blue is common too... both are fine.

What about a frosted look. It would hide what you're hiding with out reading as a distinct color.

I've tried the white blue and black everytime i come crawling back to the black way more pop and cleaner...even tryed backgrounds with designs nothing meets black

I always go black, I love the way blue and white backgrounds look but I always chicken out and go back to the tried and true.. problem is they typically don't offer overflows in blue or white, so you're left with a blue or white background and a black overflow.

reeferinbama

Thanks everyone for your input!

I think I will take a piece of 1/8" clear I have laying around and frost it with 220 grit and see if it will hide the back well enough. If not, I will paint it white and see if I like it.

Once I have decided I will order the 1/4" piece and finish it.

Steven

I spray painted the back of my tank with royal blue. Also spray painted my DIY overflow with the same paint. Paint is holding well but has slowly flaked off. Its hell trying to take pictures with the blue background and blue lights on. You could take a page out of the planted tank book and use the bottom lit frosted background. Gives a nice glow/gradient.

What about taking a colored foil and crumpling it up then pulling it flat again? Start with a black foil sheet and wad it into a ball. Not to tight because it would be hard to get open again. Then just tape it to the back of the tank to see how it looks. Just a thought.

Archived