Pod Your Reef

Aquascaping opinions

Cdog580

Does anybody like my scape? Opinions/advice is much appreciated!
Feel free to post your own scapes, I love to see them.
(Don't mind the coral they will most likely be moved).

post-86789-0-07814100-1420759563_thumb.jpg

I really like the layout... I even like where the corals are, with the exception of those clove or other softies on the top left. Move them down to in front of the T-stool if they haven't already stuck themselves. Other than that it's really visually balanced and interesting.

The balance is what bugs me. The 2 rocks are the same width, same height, same color, same texture and centered in the tank.

I really like the layout... I even like where the corals are, with the exception of those clove or other softies on the top left. Move them down to in front of the T-stool if they haven't already stuck themselves. Other than that it's really visually balanced and interesting.

thanks! No corals are stuck yet. I was experimenting. I need to get the T-stool off the rock its stuck on from my previous layout. It doesn't go anywhere right now.

I could see how that'd be irritating. Upon a second look I'd say if he were to spread the rockwork a smidge and maybe offset the two isles front to back he could probably gain a better field of depth. Then again we're looking at this in 2D and that sometimes makes a big difference.

The balance is what bugs me. The 2 rocks are the same width, same height, same color, same texture and centered in the tank.

it bugs me to. The only problem is the rocks are just too big. I don't know if I want to try to break them.

I really like upright column type scapes. From the angle you've posted it looks nice. But if like you say they're both the same size and similar shape that could look a little odd.

Don't forget if you get some encrusting corals they will change the shape and texture of your rock work and will break up the sameness.

This is my set up. Lighting should be finished this weekend so corals can go up into it. Yay.

3 sides viable,

WP_20141214_005_zps9940ede3.jpgWP_20141214_004_zpsb16ed034.jpgWP_20141209_002_zps9efa2a78.jpg

The colour balance is out as everything is at 75% and I was using a mobile. I have the controller working now so I've been able to get a better slightly less blue/purple look.

I really like upright column type scapes. From the angle you've posted it looks nice. But if like you say they're both the same size and similar shape that could look a little odd.

Don't forget if you get some encrusting corals they will change the shape and texture of your rock work and will break up the sameness.

This is my set up. Lighting should be finished this weekend so corals can go up into it. Yay.

3 sides viable,

WP_20141214_005_zps9940ede3.jpgWP_20141214_004_zpsb16ed034.jpgWP_20141209_002_zps9efa2a78.jpg

The colour balance is out as everything is at 75% and I was using a mobile. I have the controller working now so I've been able to get a better slightly less blue/purple look.

looks really cool! Definitely like that design. Thank you for the suggestion.

dang that is one of the Best Minimal rock Aquascapes ive seen. Definitely mirin. stuff like this makes me wanna try using less rock in my scape

Nice scape! I like looking at other peoples ideas to get more of my own. Ultimately I end up combining a few techniques though.

One aspect I'm particularly a fan of is depth (depth of field, or how deep a scape feels). Remember that the water makes everything look flatter, so to get a true sense of depth I think it's important to have a focal point in the front and in the rear. Typically the larger of the 2 will be in the rear.

It's hard to tell with the picture because it's from an angle and slightly higher up, but I see 3 rocks, roughly the same size, with the one on the far right the smallest.

So I would arrange them like the pic I attached, with the largest and smallest sort of interlocked a bit toward the back and offset to one side from the middle. Then take that branchy piece and maybe chisel off a bit from the bottom or top to make it a bit shorter and then put that rock more toward the front, again offset from the middle. Or you could experiment with swapping out the small rock and the branchy one to see which looks the best in the front.

post-39800-0-73222000-1420779321_thumb.jpg

post-39800-0-97249400-1420780048_thumb.jpg

It's a little hard to tell with only the one picture what a scape really looks like in life.

I also feel it's hard to see and help make suggestions without that sense of 3D. Take a fe more pictures. Some of the sides too so we can see the rock and provide some options for you. :)

I'll get on it directly............ Maybe.............. I'll collect some photos together and when I'm next on shift in 4 days (assuming it stays this boringly quiet at work) I'll put something together.

Some more pictures. :)

It's a little hard to tell with only the one picture what a scape really looks like in life.

I also feel it's hard to see and help make suggestions without that sense of 3D. Take a fe more pictures. Some of the sides too so we can see the rock and provide some options for you. :)

I got some more pictures for you.

post-86789-0-99719000-1420832533_thumb.jpg

post-86789-0-57622000-1420832544_thumb.jpg

post-86789-0-85878400-1420832557_thumb.jpg

Looks like you can move the rocks around. If you have ever been to coral reef you would see loads of broken and crazy stuff going on. Here is the deal about aquascaping. No two minds see the same thing. So you just need to play with it. It's your eyes that matter and sometimes the Internet has a hard time feeling your depth. Just take a little time and twist, turn, flip, flop, spin and roll your rocks until it gives you smile. With two main rocks it shouldn't take long to find your limitations. If you have the tools you can cut, break, hammer, saw, chisel your rock into the size you need. Think about the coral you like and how it grows. Plan your scape with the end result in mind. Because the scape is just the foundation.

Looks like you can move the rocks around. If you have ever been to coral reef you would see loads of broken and crazy stuff going on. Here is the deal about aquascaping. No two minds see the same thing. So you just need to play with it. It's your eyes that matter and sometimes the Internet has a hard time feeling your depth. Just take a little time and twist, turn, flip, flop, spin and roll your rocks until it gives you smile. With two main rocks it shouldn't take long to find your limitations. If you have the tools you can cut, break, hammer, saw, chisel your rock into the size you need. Think about the coral you like and how it grows. Plan your scape with the end result in mind. Because the scape is just the foundation.

thanks for the help and insight!

Archived