SaltCritters.com

Creating a temperate aquarium

Vash_The_Stampede

Vash_The_Stampede

Hi everyone. Thought that this would make for an interesting topic. What guidelines would one need to go by in order to create a succesfull temerate aquarium?

AReeferIsExpensive

both work for me~ =X

I think that tank's amazing.....just b/c its so rare. He picks all the livestock up himself.

AReeferIsExpensive

he should seroiusly think about making temperate tanks and selling them for a full price once complete...cha-ching$$

ppl buy established nano's all the time~ I think a lot of males would buy them b/c the natural, dark look they create. Its not a bunch of prettly little corals and nemos glimmering.

AReeferIsExpensive

I could see how some of it would be challenging b/c there isnt much info about taking care of things he has in captivity......and also he doesnt know if hes bringing home a pest

Imagine instead of going to the LFS w/ your wallet, you go to the beach w/ a cooler~

true, but at least he won't have the lfs lying to him! just kidding. there are some really good online journals that have tons of info on temperate species such as the journal of salt and freshwater ecology, ecology, nature, marine biology, ok, that's all i can think of right now. also, if there is a university near by, they should have all these journals in their stacks somewhere.

Vash_The_Stampede

I personally like rocky point. It is hot in the summer, and cold in the winter. There are a few speices of coral, but I don't know how they live through the winter. The water temp can get down to 60 degrees.

Fish_Bay_Baby

Living here in the San Juan Islands the water temp is on average about 56* year round here. There are some corals but they are pretty deep and require scuba skills. I have a 60 gallon temperate FOWLR+seaweed that is a PITA to keep cold. and let me tell you, those fishies don't like it when the temp goes up above 60*! we DIY'ed a chiller out of a full size upright freezer to keep the temps down. one thing i have noticed is the tanks take a lot less light, I have an cauliflower anemonie that has doubled in size with only 3 - 4 watts per gallon.

very cool tanks if you are in an area that would enable you to have one. the fish take to tank life pretty well.

will try to get some pictures of mine up soon.

Tina

I tried to do the temperate tank thing a few years back. I found it to be fairly difficult. I was really fortrunate with sand dollars, sun stars, pinner 'chovies from the bait store and a purple urchin.

The seaweed was difficult.

I maintained the tank 58F, 1.026-1.028 sg (thats what it was at the beach..Plus I used beach water).

I am suspecting that the hardest part and where I had the most difficulty was with getting enough nutrients in the water. EVERYTHING depends on nutrients.. Just the opposite of what we do.

Fish_Bay_Baby

yeah you got to feed those tanks constantly. the tank is only a 60g but i feed a 1/4 cup of mixed "sushi" to the tank and a lot of HUFA enriched brine shrimp. Everything seems to stay stable and not a lot of food waste is left over.

I have not had to much trouble with the seaweeds, mine is growing, but only the ones that I got that are attached/rooted to rocks.

I also do bi-weekly water changes with local beach water, and keep the temp at 55F, and 1.024 - 1.026sg

If I dont feed the tank each day i havenoticed things look sort of "wilted".

Tina

Archived