Coral Vue Hydros

Drunken Reef Thoughts

jbb

also on a side note... I heard real wood in saltwater doesn't rot but takes on properties of a rock... if this is true I need to experiment.

Oops, sorry for the confusion, I was referring to this:

Do I remember correctly that using driftwood is possible, but it will tint your water and have a negative impact on ph for quite a while ?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do I remember correctly that using driftwood is possible, but it will tint your water and have a negative impact on ph for quite a while ?

Thaats what I heard and I also found a nice tank with it somewhere... google time

Thaats what I heard and I also found a nice tank with it somewhere... google time

Here is what I read ... (from boston reefs)

"Driftwood is probably a stretch since it could leach something like tannins (tannic acids), which can lower the pH (not a good thing for any SW tank). It could be possible with driftwood that has been in saltwater (not like a bog or marsh wood). You would probably want to keep it in a separate tank (like a quarantine) for a long time to see if you can get that pH level to be the same as your tank (i.e. most of the tannic acids have been used up). Maybe something like petrified wood would be a better option."

"Driftwood is probably a stretch since it could leach something like tannins (tannic acids), which can lower the pH (not a good thing for any SW tank). It could be possible with driftwood that has been in saltwater (not like a bog or marsh wood). You would probably want to keep it in a separate tank (like a quarantine) for a long time to see if you can get that pH level to be the same as your tank (i.e. most of the tannic acids have been used up). Maybe something like petrified wood would be a better option."

found that as well... but I also found this thread which I am sure is the one I saw earlier because the google image shows the sticks in with the LR but all the pics in thread are dead http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=93576

the image google shows is the 4th image over when you search "driftwood in saltwater aquarium plantedtank.net"

found it

patchreef2.jpg

http://marineplantbook.com/patchreef.htm

Bone tanks are awesome man.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one thinking this right now but....

No, not really. Its just weird and kinda creepy, especially the child femur....

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one thinking this right now but....

No, not really. Its just weird and kinda creepy, especially the child femur....

also it's not a femur its a metatarsus.

this thread is gold... too bad im not even drinking as I will be awakened 32 times tonite by angry 8 month old.

The little one can party too

Moorish Idols would make for a sweet tank too

lol I think I read somewhere these were the poor mans moorish idol, moorish idols obviously way cooler with way longer fin thingy

Archived