SaltCritters.com

110g Rimless

magikarp

What the hell is that? Some sort of goby? This is why this hobby fascinates me (that and the diy projects), I love super cool, interesting and different fish.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how is your scooter doing? eating?

I was thinking about a small scooter or a ruby red scooter because they are small enough I doubt I would need to train them to eat, my tank would provide enough,

This Goram Dragonet is a bit bigger. It's about 3 inches long, and exclusively hangs out on the sand. Never the rocks. It is eating something from the sand but I am doubtful it gets enough from it. So I target feed it brine daily. It is a bit of a pain, if the pumps are off you could dump food on its head and it would ignore it. When the pumps are on and the current moves the shrimp around, he chases it, but only gets about half of what I give him.

Our scooter is contantly picking at the rocks and sand. I did successfuly have it eat frozen brine squirted in front of it, but I generally broadcast feed as the tanks so deep. Never really seen it take any blowing past, but my rock work is pod city and I have a very populated refugum too. The female of my Orange diamond watchman gobies needed me to inject food into the sand for a while to fatten her up. But now both of them chase frozen food and take sinking pellets.

• 2 weeks later...

mLcHYSsh.jpg

Keep feeling like my fish look way bigger than just 2 months ago.

Compared pics today

VLMYfVDh.jpg

Turns out they just got fat >__> <__< >_>

• 1 month later...

Haven't updated in a while. Not too much to update though.

Only thing I have added in the last 2 months is a Yellow Tang. Probably the last fish (8 total).

Battling bryopsis and caulerpa nummularia, which I really want to eliminate before adding corals. The bryopsis isn't too bad, the the caulerpa nummularia is impossible... nothing eats it and you can't remove it by hand (breaks off too easily)

9CKW6Ach.jpg

Blenny is still the best fish

1cf853Sh.jpg

KNE75OGh.jpg

laEKyBdh.jpg

HarryPotter

Loving it! Read through the thread and the tank looks great!

I love the size as well- not too big to take care of (10g water changes still effective) but you can still have beautiful critters without worrying about the space

Thanks! Not going too big was definitely a consideration. Water changes was one reason, being able to easily reach anywhere in the tank was another. I hate seeing some dirty glass or coraline I can't get to and scrub off, drives me nuts.

a few more pics

K9SqvsRh.jpg

WECuyueh.jpg

q84omC6h.jpg

0T7GVaoh.jpg

XbfyxJAh.jpg

6EvTnIwh.jpg

Still plenty of algae in the display, I want to at least get rid of the culpera nummularia before adding SPS. The roots really wrap around the rocks tight, I think they'd easily over run the SPS branches. Haha but at least I am down to 3 types of algae in the display down from over 10. The other 2 are bryiopsis which is persistent but mostly under control because my Tiger Blenny is eating it non-stop and a really nice bright red macro... I think it is dragon's breath but not 100% sure, anyway it is really beneficial and looks great with the blue in my lighting turned right up.

It's no surprise I have algae. I overfeed all my fish, they all look obese. and I feed with all the pumps on unless I am trying to target feed my Goram Dragonet. Plus I run a long light period and have my radions pretty high considering it's not a reef tank yet. Having said that my nitrates and phosphate are undetectable. I think it is because of my strong lighting and long photoperiod, they all get absorbed pretty quickly.

So the plan is I finally tuned my skimmer to pull out a respectable amount, setting up a phosphate reactor today and ordered in a stronger refugium light (currently have a E27 LED 9W - 2x3W Red LEDS and 1x3W Blue, works really really well for a small cheap globe)

jedimasterben

You could get a rabbitfish to help eat said algae in the meantime. They're true lawnmowers, there really isn't any algae that they won't nom on :)

• 2 weeks later...

1 week in of using a phosphate reactor and I think it is working really well. I took out what I could by hand, but a lot of the culpera is losing it's colour. very happy so far. My Yellow Tang has started to eat a little of the bryopsis also, so that is down to a very small patch now.

Here's a weird hitchhiker that showed up unannounced. Pic from my thread in the ID forum

AT8d8tNh.jpg

And my Dragonet. Always happy to get a clear pic, he hates the camera and blends in too well with the sand, my point and shoot camera never knows where to focus

4sdVqtfh.jpg

tanked_kiwi

Absolutely stunning! Great looking tank, good job.

How do you find the size coming from an Aquanano 40? This is what I have now and I will be upgrading early next year when we buy our 1st house. Have a 60g rimless already but contemplating these dimensions or 5x2x2 instead. Don't want to go too big though. How much extra time do you spend on it?

Its more effort, but i learned a lot about maintenance from my small tank that i have streamlined some things and dont feel burdened by keeping a bigger tank.

The biggest difference is the effort to keep the glass clean. I try do it twice a week and takes 20 min each time. Theres so much of it, its easy to miss a spot and only notice once you finish, then go back do some more.

Water changes are similar wether its 3g or 15g

• 2 weeks later...

RUaA9TQh.jpg

3 and a half weeks since I've set up my phosphate reactor and it is working great. I have completely eliminated the bryopsis from my system and reduced the culpera by more than half. What is left doesn't spread so quickly and is a little transparent.

Feel confident to start adding some corals this weekend :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm being driven nuts by my hermit crabs obsession with the green staghorn.

For the past week, all 3 hermits sits on it all day. I've started to knock them off when they climb it, but 10 minutes later it'll be back up there. Done it 4 times in a row this evening. The stag's polyps have closed off in the last couple days, it's looking half bald

I'm being driven nuts by my hermit crabs obsession with the green staghorn.

For the past week, all 3 hermits sits on it all day. I've started to knock them off when they climb it, but 10 minutes later it'll be back up there. Done it 4 times in a row this evening. The stag's polyps have closed off in the last couple days, it's looking half bald

Toss them in the sump?

Archived