inTank Media Baskets

Nuvo 16 Reef in Da Hell Build Thread

Kenmak2008

RTF (Jan 7 2015)

http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/Ken_Mak/media/IMG_0241_zps724724bd.jpg.html'>IMG_0241_zps724724bd.jpg

I have decided to make a build thread for my Nuvo 16, I figure sharing the happiness is going to be fun.

I had the tank filled with water on May 14th 2014 till now, Tank is a Sps dominated tank. I will keep uploading pictures with dates to show my progress. Tank is Sps dominated Tank, and at some point I wish to see every inch of my tank is filled with Corals before I upgrade to another tank

Tank Specs

IM Nuvo 16

Lighting: Ai Hydra

Flow: Stock return pump + Mp10 + JeBao wp10 + Dual Spin Stream

Heater: Neotherm heater

Chiller: Aqua Euro 1/13hp

Filtration: IM mini max reactor (Bio Pellets) + Refugium with led back lid

Skimmer: Aquamaxx Hob-1 hang on back

ATO: Smart ATO

Controller: Reef Keeper Lite + Apex Jr(In progress)

Dosing: Apex Dos (in progress)

Water Parameters:

Salinity- 1.025~1.026
Ph- 8.0- 8.3
Calcium- 380 (In progress)
Alkalinity- 8~9

Magnesium: 1400~1500
Phos- 0
Temp- 76~78

First day done cleaning the tank May 13th 2014

IMG_4358_zpsf8c43732.jpg

Second day Filled with water and Aqua Scaped May 14th 2014

IMG_4383_zps6d37ec89.jpg

IMG_4385_zps0e2b4e34.jpg

And my Cat

IMG_1790_zps84571fae.jpg

Looks good! How was the kessel with the stock lights? Your hydra must fill up the tank good ?. How much alk. and ca. Is your tank using with all those sps?

Looks good so far :)

I hope you found the hippo a new home tho... I had a friend with a 6' 125 and his 13" hippo hated life (it was only 4-5 yrs old). It seriously looked at you like please take me out and eat me it will be better then sitting in here another day. It just sat in one spot looking pathetic as hell :(

Looks good! How was the kessel with the stock lights? Your hydra must fill up the tank good ?. How much alk. and ca. Is your tank using with all those sps?

The kessel is pretty good, the beauty of the design is that it actually lights up like a metal halide. But I bought the wrong spectrum so the colors are different than the stock nuvo light hence the change to hydra. I am just hand dosing randomly in a way that limits the ph never raise higher than 0.02 as for the moment, because I am still figuring out how to set up the DOS from Neptune. But my guess is that I dose way less than 25ml so I was amaze by your system.

Looks good so far :)

I hope you found the hippo a new home tho... I had a friend with a 6' 125 and his 13" hippo hated life (it was only 4-5 yrs old). It seriously looked at you like please take me out and eat me it will be better then sitting in here another day. It just sat in one spot looking pathetic as hell :(

Yep you are right the hippo is swimming happily in my friends 120 now, the hippo was in my tank for a week for inspection.

Everyone is looking good and happy- that ruby red is awesome- what foods is it eating?

Mostly pods, never see it eating any prepared food tho......lol

Automatic Water Change project is in process!!

I am always lazy for water change, and I also realize that whenever I do a 1.3Gallon WC the PH will raise about 0.05 using RSCP salt mix. I never like the spike of anything, and I figure someday, sometime I might travel. I always wanted a AWC system, so I don't have to do water change at the same time every week and at the same time that will minimize any sudden change, especially for any small reef tank. After Apex announce the DoS system will be able to handle WC, I jumped right in for their dosing pump. I have set the DOS as my dosing pump now, and when I am fully comfortable with the system I will get another one for the AWC. Stay Tune guys~

http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/Ken_Mak/media/IMG_0696_zps534e50fd.jpg.html'>IMG_0696_zps534e50fd.jpg

tanks looking good- I like that w/c system- make sure you stir your gravel once a week or so- how's your Mandarin doing? I always love the top down shots!

tanks looking good- I like that w/c system- make sure you stir your gravel once a week or so- how's your Mandarin doing? I always love the top down shots!

Thanks man, I agree cleaning the gravel is important too. The dragonette jumped out while I was out working and found him on the floor the other day.

Thanks man, I agree cleaning the gravel is important too. The dragonette jumped out while I was out working and found him on the floor the other day.

Oh man that stinks- sorry man

Oh man that stinks- sorry man

Yea man~ sh*t happen sometime

Bro could you tell me how much CAL and AlK u r dosing daily again? How's your dosing schedule like?

Yea man~ sh*t happen sometime

Bro could you tell me how much CAL and AlK u r dosing daily again? How's your dosing schedule like?

Total for the day is 45ml Alk. 40ml Ca. And about 15ml Mg. This keeps things at 7-8 alk. 420-30 Ca. And 1300mg. I have my doser dose 6 times a day but I am thinking now I might increase that to 12 times a day to keep it more even. My Alk. And Ca. Might have to be bumped up 5ml pretty soon- I tested tonight and just before the doser went of my Alk. was a lower 6/7- hard to tell exactly so I think with the latest growth I might bump it up a little.

Total for the day is 45ml Alk. 40ml Ca. And about 15ml Mg. This keeps things at 7-8 alk. 420-30 Ca. And 1300mg. I have my doser dose 6 times a day but I am thinking now I might increase that to 12 times a day to keep it more even. My Alk. And Ca. Might have to be bumped up 5ml pretty soon- I tested tonight and just before the doser went of my Alk. was a lower 6/7- hard to tell exactly so I think with the latest growth I might bump it up a little.

Wow that's a lot of Cal and ALK man I just started to 2ml each per day. Do u think maybe I should bump up more to see what happen? I tried to test with my Redsea test kit twice, a day apart each test without any dosing. My result was the second time is even higher than the previous, that's what confuses me. So how's your Ph like? Usually ppl would recommended that dosing ALK at night and Cal in the morning to stablize the PH. Anyways man you have fantastic tank

Wow that's a lot of Cal and ALK man I just started to 2ml each per day. Do u think maybe I should bump up more to see what happen? I tried to test with my Redsea test kit twice, a day apart each test without any dosing. My result was the second time is even higher than the previous, that's what confuses me. So how's your Ph like? Usually ppl would recommended that dosing ALK at night and Cal in the morning to stablize the PH. Anyways man you have fantastic tank

Thanks appreciate it. When I use to dose manually I dosed in the morning before the lights were on and in the evening when they went out to offset any ph spikes. My ph stays around 8ish a little higher. That Alk. Test seems odd. The key is to test the sa,pie time each day- twice a day of can manage it. Do that for a week straight and you will have a better picture of what's going on. Try testing in the morning and evening and see what happens- post it up and we can see what the best options are. Remember to dose Alk. 1st- wait at least 10 minutes and then dose Ca. - otherwise you run the risk of precipating the solutions out . That's not as important with the small amount your dosing but it is a good practice to get into- really important

Thanks appreciate it. When I use to dose manually I dosed in the morning before the lights were on and in the evening when they went out to offset any ph spikes. My ph stays around 8ish a little higher. That Alk. Test seems odd. The key is to test the sa,pie time each day- twice a day of can manage it. Do that for a week straight and you will have a better picture of what's going on. Try testing in the morning and evening and see what happens- post it up and we can see what the best options are. Remember to dose Alk. 1st- wait at least 10 minutes and then dose Ca. - otherwise you run the risk of precipating the solutions out . That's not as important with the small amount your dosing but it is a good practice to get into- really important

Sweet advice! still battling with the DoS system, will definitely try out your method. Need to get some supply really soon, salt, test kit and etc. Bro, with your dosing method, your bottles will run out in a month buddy :D And I am still figuring out how to dose the 2 solutions apart with the Apex fusion.

Time to update with my Apex Dosing system and Apex Jr, I figure some of the users might run in to the same problems like I did. (Can't run ethernet cable to Apex) So I went to Frys today and found this Sweeeeeeeeeeet connector, I think Apex recommend something from Netcore but this works for me and is about 50 bucks. I highly recommend this, set up takes about 5 mins.

This is the set up from TP Link

IMG_0706_2_zpse0e5f8f5.jpg

This is the wireless module, that runs the cable to the controller

IMG_0711_2_zps5843168b.jpg

Hey, Fusion OK!

IMG_0709_2_zps76ba612c.jpg

If anyone who is battling with the Apex Dos, please let me know. Thanks.

IMG_0714_zpsadaa84c9.jpg

Sweet advice! still battling with the DoS system, will definitely try out your method. Need to get some supply really soon, salt, test kit and etc. Bro, with your dosing method, your bottles will run out in a month buddy :D And I am still figuring out how to dose the 2 solutions apart with the Apex fusion.

I hear Ya, luckily my lfs sells the solution for each cheap- I get a gallon of each for 9.00 apiece and those should last me ~84 days each- way more on the mag. - not to bad.

I hear Ya, luckily my lfs sells the solution for each cheap- I get a gallon of each for 9.00 apiece and those should last me ~84 days each- way more on the mag. - not to bad.

Thats great, but with your growth you could probably made up the 2part by selling some frags~ ;)

Archived