Innovative Marine Aquariums

Aquascaping inspiration thread

hey

As many times as I see threads like this. Always makes for good conservation. :) Even though these have been posted before, I enjoy seeing them again. (Not mine.)

c2b55d3c.jpg77d70565.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hockeyhead019

Definitely cool topic. I feel like the reason that foreground is forgotten about so much is because the rocks that are pressed up against the glass end up looking a little gnarly when the algae grows against the glass and can't be gotten to by a CUC or something of the like.

That said I'm a big fan of the island layouts I've seen in moderately sized tanks

Heres one I particularly like as it really shows what would be seen in nature in a scene, a couple different corals dominating an area and a ton of similar or same fish... I really find the fish to be the most stunning part of this although a large ball like structure in a tank would be very interesting.

coral-reef02.jpg

Heres one I particularly like as it really shows what would be seen in nature in a scene, a couple different corals dominating an area and a ton of similar or same fish... I really find the fish to be the most stunning part of this although a large ball like structure in a tank would be very interesting.

coral-reef02.jpg

This would be a phenomenal scape, in a bigger tank where you could get schooling fish.

This would be a phenomenal scape, in a bigger than where you could get schooling fish.

fill it with threadfins maybe for a not as huge as we would want sized tank lol. If I just did threads I could probably get 15 give or take a few in my 50.

Love this thread I'm pretty proud of the aquascape on my 8g, need to switch up my 60, loads of space for coral, not for much else

I'm a fan of really well done suiseki:

fig%5B1%5D.2.jpg

thats the damn word I have been trying to remember for ages... try googling rock placement art and crap... no results come up right lol.

I have always found this planted reef amazing.

4d7f4606bdb6e.jpg

this tank is gorgeous... I would have a nem in there just because it wouldn't kill anything moving around though haha. Benefits of planted tanks.

• 1 month later...

coral-reef02.jpg

One thing that makes that natural scape so great is the continuity created by those three dominant coral species you mentioned. The green, purple, and ivory shot through with all those orange flecks, of course. Most of us are too gaga over all the frag possibilities to be disciplined enough to create a cohesive composition like this.

All this certainly is inspiring. Thanks for starting this thread. Some gulf rock will be coming in the mail at the end of the week, and I'll be trying to apply some form to what still remains a mystery in the shapes I happen to receive.

As for my contribution, maybe this is the opposite of what we're going for here, but I kind of like Mark van der Wahl's "Dutch Reef Tank." Something about its calm, tidal pool charm reminds me of a fairy glade or some place magical:

IMG_3870.jpg

Ok, I REALLY like that floating island idea... How's it mounted, magnets?

My odd shaped 70 might be ideal for that since it's so tall.

Spenseriana

Here's another tank I stop by to look at (online) every so often. This guy says he lets his zoas compete with each other and almost never frags them to make room. It has created a really intense looking garden:

D6xKg8Yl.jpg

HLlAHRgl.jpg

Here's another tank I stop by to look at (online) every so often. This guy says he lets his zoas compete with each other and almost never frags them to make room. It has created a really intense looking garden:

D6xKg8Yl.jpg

HLlAHRgl.jpg

Man if that doesn't remind me of Skittles......

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The planted tanks are nice. But the marine tank doesn't have the creativity as the planted ones do. It looks to be in good health but the pile of branch rock and scattered pieces on the bottom looks to be a little disorganized. I still think reefing aquascapes are evolving but not there yet.

The planted tanks are nice. But the marine tank doesn't have the creativity as the planted ones do. It looks to be in good health but the pile of branch rock and scattered pieces on the bottom looks to be a little disorganized. I still think reefing aquascapes are evolving but not there yet.

The hard scape in reef tanks is 2 part half coral and half the shape of the rock under it that rock pile he has would look very cool I of with encrusting and matting type corals to grow over the crazy surface the branch pile creates.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived