SaltCritters.com

Aiptasia? (beginner question)

tomduud

Have you done this successfully? How long did it take?

I do it with a syringe but any stream will do, it takes quite a while, several minutes for the big ones.

Then continue till they are all gone

Polarcollision

I do it with a syringe but any stream will do, it takes quite a while, several minutes for the big ones.

Then continue till they are all gone

Ive always used boiling water, but the pom pom crab is putting them in hard to reach locations now. I'll give it a try

• Like 1

Death by osmotic shock isn't out of the picture for difficult locations, brew up some super salty water, or put salt crystals straight on them, good thing the salt sinks easily.

Ive always used boiling water, but the pom pom crab is putting them in hard to reach locations now. I'll give it a try

has it worked well oR did the rocks crevices make the stream too weak since they are in tight spots

I used Joe's juice and it seems to work. The aiptasia is gone. I will check the spot in the future if it resurfaces in same location.

Another bug found today. It looks like a snail or similar. Any information about ? I almost captured it but it fell behind the rock... Sorry about bad image, my dslr was out of power since I forgot recharge its battery.

post-85241-0-69280100-1426334292_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It is some sort of snail

It is snail and its growing quite fast. Now it about 1,5x size compared to previous photo. I will try to get better photo of it. But the aiptasia was eliminated by Joes juice. Another one found near the original place and with Joe's help it was gone for good. Now they seems to disappeared but I'm ready for another match:).

• Like 1
Jellyingabout

I dunno, looks like a young aip to me. there are more than one type of aip and not all have colour. The tell tail signs are marginal tentacles held in two rings, one set shorter than the others and an elongated oral slit with prominent siphoglyphs (slits at opposite ends of the mouth that can make the mouth look like a line rather than a circle.)

I'm guessing its the centre species discussed at the end of this article http://www.saltyunderground.com/article_info.php?articles_id=34

Much clearer because its small.

As someone who works with hydroid polyps, although they come in all kinds of shapes and sizes, they tend to have a thicker collar before the oral disk with less tapered tentacles, resembling the hydroid medusae phase a bit more. I would say this is definitely an actiniaria making me bet its an aip. I think you were right to kill it.

I'd say nuke them....I don't think those are hydroids cause those usually grow on the glass and they're much smaller. Props for the really nice picture it definitely helps to ID things when it's not taken with a cell phone camera. :P

Colonial hydroids grow on rocks. There are more than on species of hydroids in the tanks.

I think you may be providing the perfect environment for some Alien spores to take hold and grow into a dangerous form of Alien predatory life. If they find you missing some day and your tank smashed all over the floor, we will know. Sleep lightly at night.

• Like 3

I think you may be providing the perfect environment for some Alien spores to take hold and grow into a dangerous form of Alien predatory life. If they find you missing some day and your tank smashed all over the floor, we will know. Sleep lightly at night.

or just burn the house and douse the ashes in bleach and toilet bowl cleaner.

That should kill the aliens, if they don't kill you first

If they don't...

• 5 years later...
Beginnerreeftanker

Hi there, I am a beginner and just set up my own saltwater reef tank.  I’ve recently found many hitchhikers, which I’ve mostly been able to identify.  However, I just stumbled upon an anemone looking hitchhiker that looks like it could be an Aiptasia Anemone.  I’ve read that you should try and exterminate these anemones right away do that they don’t spread, but I wanted to make sure that it is even one to start with.  It is maybe 2-3 millimeters across, and has purplish thick arms.  Here are some pictures:  

It looks like it may have a base, and it looks a lot like the Aiptasia I’ve been researching.  If you could identify what this really is, that would be a great help!  Thankyou!