Pod Your Reef

James's Coralife BC29

jamescstein

jamescstein

Shrimp larva.

There are either the generic caribbean pistols I have in my tank or my 2 randall's finally found each other, are male and female and they spawned.

DF1FEC81-857A-4243-B321-1D47C4D52B54.jpg

D9267D73-792F-4BEA-9A09-5130606A5930.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
jamescstein

Finally got my Dragons Breath to attach itself to a rock.

16B6526A-281D-46E1-8ED1-CB67B5BA5E37.jpg

Now its gotten so big I need to epocy another piece of rubble to the one its anchored to so it stops getting blown around.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Love your pics - that monti is fabulous! I think I found my first strombus eggs a few days ago on the glass, hope they reproduce as well as yours do.

jamescstein

Love your pics - that monti is fabulous! I think I found my first strombus eggs a few days ago on the glass, hope they reproduce as well as yours do.

The monti is starting to whiten on the middle. Just like my wifes be orange one did. Need to test alk, calc and mag.

I"m getting new egg sacs almost daily. Its cool watching them turn into little snails still inside the sac. As soon as my biggest babies get a little bigger they are going to my wife's 125 refuge. Then hopefully we'll see a population explosion.

• 3 weeks later...
jamescstein

Monti has browned out and is getting covered with brown algae. Found cyno overnight on my rainbow monti and seasons greetings as well. Discovered that my RW-4 was barely moving any water. :( Check the flow on those pumps people!

I have been testing water, changing water. Trying to figure out why the grape was browning and I bet it was all due to lack of flow. Hopefully i caught it in time for the rainbow and seasons. Cut up the grape as it was far gone and needed to be cut up anyway.

All pieces look like trash. Hopefully some of them will recover now that the pump is working right again.

• Sad 1
  • 1 year later...

Sad to say another year didn't do well for the tank. Once the monti soured its been downhill from there. 

Hurricane Hermine nearly dealt the death blow to the tank. No power for almost a week and my generator wouldn't start. 2 days in went generator hunting as it was apparent the power wasn't coming back on and the battery powered air pump wasn't cutting it for my BC and my wifes 125. Lost the Yasha's the shrimp and most of my hard corals.

Tank was limping along with me doing token water changes and occasionally siphoning off some of the cyno. Re-injuring my back didn't help with the tank maintenance. I am on septic so I can't dump my waste water down the drain, I have to carry it 20-30 feet into the woods. So that wasn't happening that often.

Back is starting to feel a bit better now and starting to ramp up my water changes to every couple of days. Starting to beat back the cyno and the red bubble algae that is taking over the tank. Oddly enough the Lemnalia is thriving, must like cyno and bubble algae spores.

Still have 

2 picasso clowns

2 very happy rock flower anemones

1 very happy blasto

1 very happy large and 1 very happy medium sized Lemnalia colony

1 moderately happy duncan (if I had to guess I'd say 20+ heads, its a somewhere between baseball and softball sized)

1 moderately happy green leather

1 moderately happy brown gregorian

assorted paly's and zoas (mostly pissed off)

1 unhappy toadstoal

clump of dragons breath constantly covered by cyno, but still alive)

assorted snails (still have a few strombus, hopefully once I get things under control again they'll start breeding again)

I am siphoning out as much cyno and as many bubble algae pods as I can get in a 5 gallon water change every couple of days. Once I've gotten all the bubble algae off the glass I'll scrape things down and take some pictures, right now all you can see is coraline algae and that hold fasts for the bubble algae.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

@Christopher Marks

Doing well thanks. The cyno is still coming out after a week, I am siphoning it out when I can. The red bubble algae is 95%  gone but I am still finding pieces here and there and pulling it out. Getting ready to try and tackle the bryopsis now, considering Tech-M or something, there is just so much of it.

Wondering if an abalone or tuxedo urchin would munch on it.

My strombus have started laying eggs again and I'm seeing a few little babies here and there. Due to the babies I haven't scraped the glass yet. Though I started tonight on a small patch that didn't have any baby snails on it.

I also discovered an LPS that still has a small patch alive. It has no color yet. Pretty sure it is a favia. Hard to say right now it is the size of a pencil eraser and I am not 100% sure what was sitting there.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
jamescstein

I've gotten the cyno beat and things have settled down a bit and the urge to restock has hit.  In the last month I've traded in my green button polyps on the frag rack in the previous picture, I've also removed the sad toadstool that appeared to just be melting.   I've also purchased a Miami Hurricane Chalice, Rasta zooanthids, and a Superman Encrusting Montiporia.

I also purchased a red-finned lawnmower blenny to try and take a bit out my turf algae.

My Strombus are still laying eggs everywhere so my glass is not very clean. Clearing off small sections of coraline every couple of days and then the snails lay eggs on the glass so I can't scrape any algae that grows off. I guess there are worse problems to have. I'll try and get some pics 

• Like 1
jamescstein

Some new additions.

Pair of Tiger PIstol Shrimp

Pair of Dracula Gobies

Both are being rather secretive so no recent photos. 

I bought the gobies with a randalls shrimp that I gave to my wife.

42483554731_564d3da9b7_z.jpgDracula Gobies by James Stein, on Flickr

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Did a major cleaning today and scraped down all the glass. Didn't take any pictures as the glass was super cloudy until lights out.

Bonus, Tiger Pistols are male and female. And their eggs hatched this evening.

Marks in the ruler are 1/16th of an inch.

30590596518_56e0da73e6_z.jpgTiger Pistol Shrimp larvae by James Stein, on Flickr

44410730662_1d46175e10_z.jpgTiger Pistol Shrimp larvae by James Stein, on Flickr

• Wow 1

New FTS

43855352694_7ce9f05f96.jpgBC29 by James Stein, on Flickr

Some other closer photo's of my inhabitants.

43855352504_5c191423df.jpgMale Dracula Gobie (Stonogobiops dracula) by James Stein, on Flickr

30703516548_3dbd4299c1.jpgFemale Dracula Go by (Stonogobiops dracula ) by James Stein, on Flickr

30703516638_74946b4699.jpgUnkown LPS by James Stein, on Flickr (A tiny bit of this LPS survived my crash

42764193330_3dbd4299c1.jpgRock Flower Anemone's by James Stein, on Flickr

42764193350_5261ed3955.jpgRed/Pink Tuxedo Urchin (Mespilia globulus) by James Stein, on Flickr

43663967465_181c3e9f08.jpgRed/Pink Tuxedo Urchin (Mespilia globulus) by James Stein, on Flickr

44541114401_1b3509c186.jpgEunice (Bottibt) Worm by James Stein, on Flickr