Full Tank Panoramic Video - 3/5/2016

FTS as of 11/4/2015

IMG_3822.jpg

FTS as of 6/16/2015

IMG_3825.jpg

FTS as of 1/18/2015

6247ECF8-58EE-4158-A3A5-DDF9B0C3572C.jpg

Equipment:

- 4 Current TrueLumen strips, 2 Marine Fusion, 2 DeepWater Blue, Current Dual Ramp Timer.'

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/355220-coralife-biocube-29-truelumen-led-upgrade/

- Cobalt Magic Jet 1200

- 1 Jebao SW-2

- 100W Heater

- Tunze 9001 Skimmer

- inTank Media Basket w(filter floss/carbon/cheato)

- JBJ Nanoglo fuge light (moded, 4 red and 1 blue led)  http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/362745-jbj-nano-glo-refit/

- ATO (autotopoff,.com)

- Tom's Aqualifter

- Tunze Care Nano

Fish:

- Bonded Pair, Yasha Goby (Stonogobiops yasha)

- Pair, Picaso Percula (Amphiprion percula)

- Tailspot Blenny (Ecsenius stigmatura)

- Pair, Dracula Goby (Stonogobiops dracula)

Crustaceans:

- Hitchhiker Gulf of Mexico Pistol Shrimp (2 maybe 3 or 4)

- Pair, Tiger Pistol Shrimp (Alpheus bellulus)

- Randalls Pistol Shrimp (Alpheus randalli)

- Sexy Shrimp (Thor amboinensis)

Inverts:

- Red Rock Flower Anemone (Epicystis crucifer)

- Green and White Rock Flower Anemone (Epicystis crucifer)
- Fighting Conch (Strombus spp.)- Lime Skirt Rock Flower Anemone (Epicystis crucifer)
- Pink Rock Flower Anemone (Epicystis crucifer)
- Green and Yellow Rock Flower Anemone (Epicystis crucifer)
- Red & White Cocoa Worm (Protula bispiralis)

- Tigertail Cucumber (Holothuria sp.)

Zoa's:
Not sure what types but serveral small frags of different zoa's
Radioactive Dragon Eyes
Green Bay Packers
Jack Sparrow
Aussie Watermelons
Assorted Hornets

Paly's:
Bright Green Palys
Bazooka Joes
Purple Death
Captain America
Florida Oranges

Mushrooms:
Orange and Green Rhodactis (Rhodactis sanctithoma)
Blue and Red Rhodactis
Gold Actinodictus
Blue Actinodictus
Watermelon Mushroom
Green Mushroom
Painted Mushroom

Polyps:
Orange/Green Clove Polyp (Clavularia sp.)
Rainbow Clove Polyp (Clavularia sp.)
Blue Sympodium Polyp (Sympodium sp.)
Neon Green Star Polyp

Soft Corals:
Green/Purple soft coral (Lemnalia sp.)
Green Leather (Sarcophyton sp.)
Neon Green Toadstool (Sarcophyton sp.)
Yellow Fiji Leather (Sarcophyton elegans)
Neon Green Neptha (Nepthea sp.)

LPS:
Watermelon Chalice
Giant Green Duncan (Duncanopsammia sp.)
Unknown Favia (Favia sp.)
Cornbread's Carbernet Blasto (Blastomussa merletti)
Cornbread's Arctic Blast Blasto (Blastomussa merletti)
Cornbread's Blue Eyed Blasto (Blastomussa merletti)
Green Chalice (Echinophyllia sp.)
Red/Green (Blastomussa wellsi)
Purple/Green (Blastomussa wellsi)

SPS:
Spiderman Encrusting Montiporia
Idaho Grape Montioporia (from Gena)
Seasons Greetings Montiporia
ASD Rainbow Montiporia

Gregorians:
Brown Gregorian

Sponges:
Orange Tree Sponge
Red Frilled Sponge

CUC:

-Nano Conch (Strombus maculatus)

-Astra Snails

-Dwarf Cerrith Snail

-Nerite Snails

-Pink Tuxedo Urchin (Mespilia globulus)

-Misc brittle stars (1 black, 1 green, several tiny banded)
-Margarita Snails

Macro Algae:

- Dragons Breath (Halymenia sp.)

- Blue Scroll (Padina sp.)

- Chaeto (Chaetomorpha sp.) in the media basket lower chamber

I picked up a used BC29 the other day while "browsing" at one of my LFS.

Stand, tank, Korlina Nano 240, 75w and 50w heaters, spare powerhead and coralife nano skimmer for $250. Thought it was a pretty sweet deal so I grabbed it.

So far, I've already made a few modifications to the cube.

The first was to modify the back section to turn it into a refugeum and increase the flow from the stock pump.

• removed the false floor and bioballs
  • cut a notch in the top and bottom 'ledges' to allow me to put in a piece of glass to create an overflow.
  • removed the elbow from the return to increase flow.
  • added a submersible pond light in the refugeum (amazon, cheapo light, no real idea how much light it is putting out and if cheato will grow under it or not.)

3FD3AD79-B74F-4476-9520-29BF75CAB64A.jpg

My next modification was to upgrade the lighting. I had purchased a TrueLumen LED Pro nano kit to upgrade an old 10g biowheel all-in-one I was planning on setting back up. Instead that kit got installed in the BC.

End result

8FCADADD-873F-4E85-A175-4B563154EB2F.jpg

3FB7E598-9201-4562-855E-D0A1D0B19274.jpg

This is with both strips cranked up 100%. Frankly it looks a little blue to me. The kit came with a "marine fusion" bar and a deepwater blue bar. I have room in the hood to fit a third strip so I may add a 12k all white bar to even it out.

That said, no sand, no rocks, no salt yet either. Just doing a system test on the overflow heaters and lights.

• 2 weeks later...

Tank is salted. I've added about 3 lbs of live rock / rubble to the 'refuge' waiting for some chateo to arrive to test might refuge light. Getting ready to order some liverock/sand for the main part of the tank.

We have sand and some rocks now.

Livesand and Rocks from TampaBay Saltwater. I've used them before I am usually pleased with the rocks I get. So far still very cloudy so no real point in a picture.

These are nice little tanks. I have a BC 14. First, you may want to get the rubble out of the fuge. It will trap detritus and build nitrates in your system.(trust me, it will get in there. Floss or no floss on top). I have the same lighting in mine. I am goin to add a third light as well. You will Probably need one too. Your tank is deeper than mine, so it will penetrate better. I got the Ecoxotic One Touch controller and I really like it for these lights. Good luck and keep us posted!

Gotta love those Bio-Cubes!! Oldies but still a goodie!

My BC29 has been running since 2006!! Still goin' strong!

Looks like you are well on your way to a successful tank.

I don't run chaeto in my rear chambers, but in chamber 1 I have a CPR nano reactor with GFO. In the middle chamber I have one of InTanks' media basket with floss, on top followed by a bag of Prigen and a bag of Chemi-Pure Elite. I also have a Tunze 9002 skimmer (the older model). I also upgraded the pump with a Rio HF-6. It produces less heat and has more GPH. I also had Dave, with Nano-Box Reef, do an LED upgrade in the hood for me. This set-up allows me to keep any type of coral I want. It is mostly SPS corals right now.

I've upgraded my lights.. I now have 4 strips.

2 Marine Fusion and 2 deepwater blue. The 10k bar was discontinued or at least no-one had them for sale.

8FDFD45D-91E6-4E08-99AF-3C7FDD0469EE.jpg

Tank did a soft cycle I think, I picked the rock up myself and put it right in the tank so very little dieoff. It's been a week, ammonia went up to .25 and then disappeared. Never say a nitrite increase and my nitrates got up to 40ppm but they are down now. I'll probably move the rubble out once the tank settles in a bit. The rubble wasn't meant to be there long term. I got it at my LFS from his sump and intended on using to kick start my cycle.

I'll get an FTS shot later. I've now got 4 rock flowers I got from TB saltwater in the tank as well. They were not happy with my quarantine tank so I went ahead and moved them since the water seems 'good enough'

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
jamescstein

Need to update some pics. Lots of new stuff added to the tank.

2/28/15
Added a mixed frag of Green Bay Packers and Radioactive Dragon Eyes
I also swiped a couple of mushrooms from my wifes tank.
3/7/15
Added Dragons Breath Macro Algae (Halymenia)
Added female Red Scooter Dragonette (Synchiropus stellatus)
3/13/15
Added Giant Green Duncan (Duncanopsammia sp.)
3/14/15
Added Green/Purple Cauliflower (Lemnalia sp.)
AddedGreen Chalice (Echinophyllia sp.)

3/18/15

Added Yellow Face Rock Anemone

Added Jack Sparrow Zoa's

Added ASD Rainbow Montiporia

Removed Fruit Drop Zoa's and gave them back to my wife

3/19/15

Added Idaho Grape Monticap

3/21/15

Added male Red Scooter Dragonette to go with the female I already have. Darn Divers Den Alert emails...

Installed AutoTopoff.com ATO (modified)

Installed Tunze 9001 Skimmer

jamescstein

Wish I had my camera with me all the time.

Was looking at my tank this morning and noticed a gorilla crab climbing at the top of the rock work. It climbed up on top of an astrea snail and raised its claws to the sky. My first through was grab the bugger... then it started flapping its abdominal flap releasing larvae into the water column. I was mesmerized long enough for her to finish then scamper back into the rocks.

My dragonettes had a field day as did my RFA's and Duncan.

jamescstein

Pic of my ATO in chamber 3 and Tunze 9001 skimmer in chamber 2 next to my inTank media basket.

94923529-106C-4E2B-9A9D-74BF9D5BDD3B.jpg

Missing from the picture is the feed from the ATO topoff pump, its mounted next to the floats. I also glued the magnet to the Tunze with silicone. I could pull it off if I pried hard but its not coming off by mistake. I couldn't fit the Tunze next to the media basket with the magnet extension on so I had to cut the lip off the side between chambers 2 and 3 so I could mount it without the standoff.

• 2 weeks later...
jamescstein

Bonus...

Bought more junk from ASD... got a free stomatella on a zoa frag..

D9371ECF-E918-44A0-9B3D-F48B146B5886.jpg

On an annoyed note... Uggh.. more isopods.. I've been battling these since I got my liverock. I thought I had gotten them all. Hadn't seen any in at least a week. Last night I caught about 20.

5369A803-4FF2-4F24-B701-8BCE755C279D.jpg

jamescstein

sadness.

My recently aquired male Red Scooter Dragonette.. who was dancing with his new girlfriend and eating well for 10 days died a few nights ago. I suspect the above critters did him in though I didn't find any on him. :(

RIP

Red%20Scooter.png

• 3 weeks later...

Man, I'd love to hear more about how you did that light set up, I'd love to do that in my lid, same lid, still have stock lighting in it!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
jamescstein

Saturday I bought a male Yasha to go with my female Yasha goby. Wasn't sure how long it would take them to find each other, or if they'd even get along.

This morning, I noticed they are together. Yay!

• 3 weeks later...
jamescstein

Never been pleased with my aquascape and I've always wanted to make Agrocrete so I am diving into that.

This is a very rough idea of where I am going.

tank-side.png

tank-front.png

My first step was to see if I could use E-Marco 400 instead of concrete in the mix as I am an inherently impatient person and don't want to wait 4-6 months for my agrocrete to stop leeching.

The plan is a make a base rock, with imbeded tubes for my Yasha Pair with Snapping Shrimp. The rock will sit flat on the glass and have sand around the outside of it. The Yasha's will have to use the tube or just play in the sand on the edges. They already prefer a tube that I installed when I got them so that shouldn't be an issue. The new tube system they will have a little more room.

1BD7E800-893E-4E0D-8F8F-4EAB7F539C5C.jpg

I mixed 5 parts Carib Sea Bermuda Pink sand with 1 part E-Maro 400. I poured a little too much of the E-Marco liquid so my mix was a little wetter than it should have been.

Here is the end result

0966A993-ADA8-4EAE-9A11-60512ED99016.jpg

I stuck some frag plugs in the surface to make holes for jamming frag plugs in the top. I used what I had on hand. I wish I had twice as many. Once the rock cures more (It's only been 24 hours) I am planning on trying to drill a few more holes.

The top of the rock with the big hole is flat. I will make several more pieces (shelves) the will stack on that flat part. This will be a pvc pipe in that hole to try and keep the shelves from slipping off. I haven't decided that if in the end I will glue/epoxy/e-marco the pieces together or not. I may just let the pvc hold it together.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...