SaltCritters.com

Check Out This Aquascape....

basser1

O.K., I admit I go to the "other sides'"forum to read stuff, especially the SPS section. Someone posted this aquascape,

floating_corals.jpg

Now I know less rock is the "IN" thing, but this is really different! For some reason, it reminds me of the floating islands in the movie Avatar! I actually think I like it!

Link if you're interested:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2463809

Looks nice. Hate that you need to be a member to see the pictures. Are they all glued off of the base of another or is there some sort of infrastructure?

I love the look of sps bunched together like that.

I like it. Very different look. It does kind of remind me of Avatar...

Hey Slowtwitch...... :welcome: to Nano-Reef!!

Looks nice. Hate that you need to be a member to see the pictures. Are they all glued off of the base of another or is there some sort of infrastructure?

I love the look of sps bunched together like that.

I did not know that!

The tank is from Hong Kong and the details were sketchy. Near as I can tell, they used rods somehow and 2 acrylic frag racks and is glued to side wall and back wall with, I assume, is epoxy? He says they use really strong glue.....

Are they all glued off of the base of another or is there some sort of infrastructure?

tank.jpg

glad that bad boy is braced at the top lol I was looking at it going mehhhh I don't know if I would keep that in my living room

couldn't say how much force is actually pulling at it though its prolly fine heh

glad that bad boy is braced at the top lol I was looking at it going mehhhh I don't know if I would keep that in my living room

It does look scary (like the silicone is holding the rock from the right panel). But I don't know if that small area of silicone would be enough to hold a solid rock structure (even if the panel could support the weight/pressure). I think that's part of the illusion, and the back of the tank might also be supporting it. I would also guess that the structure has to be light (maybe made out of foam with some porous rock covering the outside). Don't really know.

I'd think that an acrylic tank, with thick acrylic rods and/or a thick acrylic shelf, supporting a foam rock, would be a better way to do it. It's neat and all, but I'm not really interested in having one in my home either.

One negative is that you can't really have helpful crabs on the rock. You can place some on the structure, but they will eventually fall off and have no way of getting back on.

• 2 weeks later...

While I do like it - the flat substrate is too jarring for meh. needs some slooppiinn.

Yeah, but think about it, no dead spots to worry about!!

Archived