Top Shelf Aquatics

Odyssey's 40 Breeder

Odyssey350kc

Time for a new Tank!

Overall goal : To make the cleanest looking 40 breeder possible (meaning as little equipment in the display as possible)

I Currently have a running 20 long tank which some of you may have seen before as I started a thread several years ago when i set up the tank. The tank has had it ups and downs over the past few years but has currently been running on cruise control for the past year or so since I have limited access to it

I recently finished building my first home and will be moving in in about a week or 2, now comes the fun part - Room to set up my dream tank!

I purchased the 40 breeder about a year ago at the $1 per gallon sale and have been waiting patiently for my home to be complete so that i can start obsessing over my reef tank once again.

Plan: Start with glass 40 breeder from the $1 per gallon sale

Remove rim + add polished euro bracing around the entire top edge of the tank

Slot rear of tank for external overflow

Use durso overflow going to custom glass 20 long sump

Equipment:

Maxspect razor Led fixture

MP10 wavemaker

Vertex Omega 130 skimmer

Vertex aquaristick gfo and carbon media holder

Sicce 2.0 return pump

Reefkeeper lite

ATO

Questions: I am a little bit undecided on the eurobracing - I know I am capable of drilling and cutting the glass to form a 2" lip around the entire top of the tank, but do I really want to? One of the main things I want this tank to be is easy to maintain, and I am concerned about this making the glass more difficult to keep clean around the top edge.

Obligatory picture: I will try to add a picture every time I make a new post or addition.

newsetup_zps646d7250.jpg

• Like 2

Time for a new Tank!

Overall goal : To make the cleanest looking 40 breeder possible

Plan: Start with glass 40 breeder from the $1 per gallon sale

Remove rim + add polished euro bracing around the entire top edge of the tank

If you are gonna euro it you may as well add a center for peace of mind. It shouldn't shadow anything as long as its kept clean too. Just my suggestion as not all 40b glass thicknesses are equal.

• Like 1

The only reason I was shying away from the center brace is that i heard glass does not allow the right light for the corals through, that's why no one uses glass tops on here right? And with the center light cluster on the maxspect razor it would be right on that center brace.

My original plan was to get the 40 drilled and set up with the overflow plugged, then transfer all the live rock, coral, and inhabitants from my 20 long over and use a temporary filtration system while i created my sump using the old 20 long But - Petco is also running its $1 a gallon sale again at the end of the month through January in my area.

So now I have 3 options -

1. continue with my original plan

2. buy a new 20 long as a sump

3. buy a 40 breeder as a sump

Thoughts?

Sounds like you've thought a bit about this one! I have some comments and questions for you though that hopefully will be helpful...

- Why the eurobracing? Is it for looks? Because functionally, assuming you have the aqueon brand, it's 1/4" glass and only 18" tall so there's no reason to brace it from a safety standpoint... Even taking into account modifications to the glass.

- Not sure if you've attempted it before, but de-rimming a tank can be a PITA. It's a pain to do without scratching or damaging something. Also one of the reasons they use the plastic trim is to reduce the glass finishing cost. It's pretty common to remove the plastic trim only to find uneven, sharp, or possibly chipped glass as well as globs of silicone that would need to be cleaned up.

- I like the idea of the external overflow... but executing that might present some challenges/risks. I would do this before the next $1/gallon sale in-case you mess something up then you can purchase another tank. I also have a 40br and I like having as little equipment as possible in it. I think the MP10 is the greatest effect. I did build a small overflow box in the tank though and it's really not very noticeable at all! If you've got the time, skill, and funds then go for the external overflow, otherwise I think you may find that an internal box doesn't have to be that bulky or noticeable. My box is a little ghetto in that I used 3/32" clear and painted the inside where I should have just purchased black acrylic...

- Can you fit another breeder in your stand as a sump? If so, grab a 30br. It's about the right height without being too tall (most skimmers only need 8-12" of water), yet it still holds quite a bit of water volume. Lots of space to get creative with baffles. But would certainly take up a bit more real estate. So I think an equally good idea is to use the 20L and then use the extra space in the stand for things like equipment storage or a fresh water ATO reservoir. Things that would be a pain in the butt to store elsewhere. I built a 3 tier stand to account for this issue, not sure if that's an option for you or not though.

As for your move plan, I think it's fine but I'm not sure what you mean by "temporary filtration" Just move it all into the 40br and then set up some powerheads to move the water around the LR. This should be sufficient for a while as long as you're not crazy overstocked in the 20L.

Good luck! Also, I'm starting my tank up again in the next few weeks! I had to take it down to remodel a room.

Thanks for the reply. I was only euro bracing for safety, everywhere I look says it needs some sort of brace if you remove the rim. But I only found 1 person who has even derimmed a 40 breeder and I don't believe he braced it either. I may end up just leaving the rim on. I'm still not sure. I'm gonna make the stand put it on top and see what I think.

I really like the look of just a glass box with coral and fish. Minimal rock work. I will probably not even add much more rock than what I have in my 20 now. Also I will be hanging my light over the tank so in theory the rim will be completely clear of all obstructions allowing for easier cleaning and access to coral.

I am planning on doing all the drilling to the glass before the dollar per gallon sale just in case I do screw up I can easily go get another tank.

As for the temporary filtration I spoke of. Power heads in the tank and possibly a small hob filter. I assume it will take me roughly a week to get all the plumbing done for the sump.

I hear you on the box of water concept! My tanks tend to get too cluttered and random over time... I goto the LFS and find a sweet piece of rock so I buy it etc...

So this time I'm doing a similar build with my 40b... I'll have one decent sized pillar of rock on one side of the tank, and possibly a small GSP island, larger scoly, or clam on the other side. Minimal equipment, though I can't affort an MP10 so I have to make due with 2 koralia pumps for the time being. I'll also have my small overflow box, but if you see my pics it's really not that noticeable... I think the entire box is 7" wide , 5.5" tall and 3" thick, or something like that... There are no teeth either so it doesn't look too much like an overflow either...

Now, I will have a display section in my sump (30b) which will have some additional rock and such, so that, combined with a relatively light bioload should make this tank pretty sustainable.

Anyways, feel free to do the eurobracing, but it's definitely not required for a 40br... There's just not enough water pressure in 18" of water. I de-rimmed my 30b and it was a pita... Didn't have too much scratching of the glass, but did have to spend quite a bit of time with some sand paper (silicon carbide) to take the sharpness out of the edges, and even then there are a few chips which I can't sand deep enough to. I'm considering using an angle grinder with a diamond disc, but i'm not 100% on that because I don't want to mess anything up (those can grind away glass pretty quick! - I would hate to have a wave in the top edge of the glass!).

I'll have to call up my local petco and find out when they're doing the sale here... Last I recall it wasn't national, but regional as to when it started and ended...

I think I will definetly be purchasing a new tank to use as a sump during the dollar per gallon sale, that way I can use my old tank pretty much as its set up now as a quarantine tank.

• 3 weeks later...
Odyssey350kc

Its finally time for me to begin work on the tank! Moved into the new house last week so now its time to make the stand. Steps for making a Tank Stand are as follows.

Step 1 :Purchase property
Step 2: Cut down large maple tree
Step 3: Load 8’ long 2’ wide section of tree into pickup.
Step 4: Mill tree down into slabs
Step 5: Dry slabs for 1 year
Step 6: Cut 2 ½” thick slab down to 4’ to place tank on.

http://s682.photobucket.com/user/odyssey350kc/media/20150104_152721_zps09befca9.jpg.html'>20150104_152721_zps09befca9.jpg

I was able to get the slab cut tonight, as well as reinforced with inch and a half angle steel painted black.

Ill try and get some pics tomorrow of where it will be going in the house.

I also stopped by petco and picked up my sump. They were all out of 20 longs so I got another 40 breeder instead. Its gonna be a tight squeeze to fit it and all the other electronics under the stand but i think i can make it work. And I'm sure the extra water volume will help.

• Like 1
Odyssey350kc

I got to install the stand tonight. It still needs some work. but heres a few pics.

The slab probably weighs close to 75 lbs.

http://s682.photobucket.com/user/odyssey350kc/media/20150107_174529_zps5f006e6e.jpg.html'>20150107_174529_zps5f006e6e.jpg

Got the tank up there! While watching treehouse masters (love that show)

http://s682.photobucket.com/user/odyssey350kc/media/20150107_181932_zpsd5c419dc.jpg.html'>20150107_181932_zpsd5c419dc.jpg

View i will have every morning when i come downstairs

http://s682.photobucket.com/user/odyssey350kc/media/20150107_181954_zps23997875.jpg.html'>20150107_181954_zps23997875.jpg

Our cat has given his approval as well.

http://s682.photobucket.com/user/odyssey350kc/media/20150107_192217_zpsfd0f2b2d.jpg.html'>20150107_192217_zpsfd0f2b2d.jpg

The cabinet still needs to be coated, and will end up matching the tv stand since I built it from the same wood i had milled down from the maple tree.

Also that leg is just temporary It will be removed and a solid wood wall added along that whole short side.

For the front I was toying with the idea of hanging some sort of fabric curtain like a shower curtain, for easy access to the sump. Has anyone ever done this without it looking like a rush job?

• Like 2
reefernanoman

Thanks Guys. I spent some time drawing up my plans for the sump. What do you guys think?

sumpdesigntopview_zpsb285cfa5.png

sideview_zpsb4c8190e.png

Sorry, I can't help you there. I only have nano tanks with no sumps and have very little experience with sumps. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Started in on the sump today. Went to lowes, got some glass cut, installed per plans. Luckily I had just bought a 24 pack of Mt Dew :D

http://s682.photobucket.com/user/odyssey350kc/media/20150117_1738221_zps3500159e.jpg.html'>20150117_1738221_zps3500159e.jpg

I also dropped another $200 on all the bulkheads, pipe, fittings, GFO, glass hole saws and anything else I will need. Luckily I get free 2 day shipping on amazon so I wont have to wait to long to get started.

• Like 2

Stocking list

Currently have:
2 ocellaris clowns (nano size - over 2 years old & female still only 1 inch long)
1 tiger pistol shrimp

Want to add:

McCosker’s flasher wrasse
and … or
Linespot flasher wrasse

Yellow coris wrasse
Pair of hifin or yellow rose gobies
3 blue/green chromis

Mandarin (added only after 6 months of setup and trained to eat frozen food)

Keep in mind even though it is a 40 breeder,

-With the combined volume of the sump the actual system volume will be close to 70 gallons
-Will be running filter socks, vertex skimmer, Cheato, and GFO/Carbon
-I am going to try and keep plenty of swimming space.

What does everyone think? These would obviously not be added all at once. Probably take me a year. It seems like it may be too many fish. I would not mind just one of the flasher wrasse.

Stocking list

Currently have:

2 ocellaris clowns (nano size - over 2 years old & female still only 1 inch long)

1 tiger pistol shrimp

Want to add:

McCosker’s flasher wrasse

and … or

Linespot flasher wrasse

Yellow coris wrasse

Pair of hifin or yellow rose gobies

3 blue/green chromis

Mandarin (added only after 6 months of setup and trained to eat frozen food)

Keep in mind even though it is a 40 breeder,

-With the combined volume of the sump the actual system volume will be close to 70 gallons

-Will be running filter socks, vertex skimmer, Cheato, and GFO/Carbon

-I am going to try and keep plenty of swimming space.

What does everyone think? These would obviously not be added all at once. Probably take me a year. It seems like it may be too many fish. I would not mind just one of the flasher wrasse.

Pics of those Occies? I've heard of people basically dwarfing stubby clowns, which leads to insane defects.

Pics of those Occies? I've heard of people basically dwarfing stubby clowns, which leads to insane defects.

Check out my 20 long tank thread in my sig. There are several pics of them.

Very nice! Love the build. I think for fish it should be fine. High bio load though. And I wouldn't ad the skimmer and fuge in the same section. Even though you have egg crate cheato will break off get stuff in your skimmer and will not allow it to make good bubbles.

• Odyssey350kc changed the title to Odyssey's 40 Breeder