Odyssey350kc

Odyssey's 40 Breeder (dying off)

Ok so A summary of the past month

9-12-17 - Lowered my light output to a maximum of 40% for a few hours during the day 

9-12-17 - Turned flow all the way up on my mp10 pump and added another small powerhead for more flow

16 gallon or roughly -20% water changes once a week using reef crystals. Blast all rocks out with a turkey baster before siphoning out water.
Lowered my alk to 9.5 as of today (see pics)

Raised my calcium to 440 as of today (see pics)

Added poly-filter 3 days ago - turning a slight brownish green color - package says that means it is removing organic material 

Broadcast feeding roughly half a cube of mysis and maybe a teaspoon of dry coral food per day.

Turned offf my gfo / carbon reactor

I have seen no improvement in any of my corals, in fact most still seem to be getting worse. Any other ideas?

Screenshot_20170927-214035_zpstzgj15bf.p

Screenshot_20170927-214041_zps3qpuskf2.p

This is what I found online for reef crystals but I don't know how accurate it is... I feel when I buy a salt and actually test it, it is different. I would think doing water changes with a high CA/ALK salt but lowering the alk at same time would cause swings? Maybe cause of the 10.5 to 11.5 back to 10.5?

Calcium, 490 ppm
Alkalinity, 13 dKH
Magnesium, 1440 ppm.

On 9/13/2017 at 9:01 PM, Tamberav said:

If you do not have significant algae that is sucking up your nutrients giving a false reading. I would say your chemistry is out of wack. Having low nutrients, and HIGH alk is generally considered a bad thing. I tried to look up the reason briefly but couldn't find the exact reason, just that it seems to cause issues.

Why are you running your alk at 10.5? Corals are adaptive but evolved to be in natural sea levels parameters.

I found out recently too that low/zero nutrients are bad, unless you are dosing. Tamberav is correct, if there is no algae growth, then your nitrates/phos have bottomed out and your corals are starving. I recently added phosphates of all things, and my corals are improving. I even stopped GFO.

On 9/21/2017 at 10:59 PM, Odyssey350kc said:

Another thing I have noticed about my tank is that I have no coraline algae after 3 years you would think some. But no.

Funny I have the same "problem"! My tank is over 2 years old, and no coraline growth! Our systems are imbalanced, or missing something! 

Maybe try adding LIVE Phytoplankton. 

The live phyto I get from www.mikesphyto.com always produces positive results in my tank. 

1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

Maybe try adding LIVE Phytoplankton. 

The live phyto I get from www.mikesphyto.com always produces positive results in my tank. 

Did that for about a month after I ordered pods, didn't see much of a change.

2 hours ago, Orangutran said:

I found out recently too that low/zero nutrients are bad, unless you are dosing. Tamberav is correct, if there is no algae growth, then your nitrates/phos have bottomed out and your corals are starving. I recently added phosphates of all things, and my corals are improving. I even stopped GFO.

Funny I have the same "problem"! My tank is over 2 years old, and no coraline growth! Our systems are imbalanced, or missing something! 

I wouldn't say I have no algae, it grows on the glass and there is always little bits around but it newer gets out of hand. I did turn off my GFO and carbon hoping that will help. Also feeding pretty heavily .

Have you verified your instrumentation is accurate? Have you tried testing salinity with another instrument? Is it an open top aquarium? Could there be contamination from any nearby aerosols?

On 9/29/2017 at 11:17 AM, IowaDiver said:

Have you verified your instrumentation is accurate? Have you tried testing salinity with another instrument? Is it an open top aquarium? Could there be contamination from any nearby aerosols?

Yes I calibrated my refractometer. It is an open top aquarium, but we do not use many chemicals or air freshners in the house. I am very careful what i use near the tank.