Pod Your Reef

Odyssey's 40 Breeder

Odyssey350kc

No, not really. All it was was a piece of cross-stitch mesh attached to the side of my sump with suction cups and with a light on it lol

Lol!

I'm going to try a waterfall style that sits above the sump.

Odyssey350kc

I got my Red Sea Reef Foundation test kit yesterday and finally got to use it. Let me just say this test kit is awesome. I'm glad I didn't waste the money on the hannah checkers since this kit is soo easy to use. there isn't even instructions to read, just look at the pretty pictures on the waterproof cards and you got it. I feel like a scientist, lol.

That being said my levels are painfully low.

Calcium - 340

ALK - 7.0 Dkh

Mag - 800ppm

This actually makes me kind of happy - I have never dosed any kind of chemicals, but I just ordered the complete BRS 2 part kit.

So if my corals look as good as they do with these levels, I cant wait to see how they look with all of the correct levels. This also probably explains why I had close to no growth in my SPS for the last year or so.

Odyssey350kc

My Package from Bulk reef supply arrived today. Got all of the jugs mixed up tonight. Really easy to follow instructions. I wish I had done this years ago.

Tomorrow - Fish!!!!

what is the rack your using to lift your skimmer made of?

Yeah I noticed that a bit ago also... Looks like vinyl coated steel like you would put in a closet or something. Will probably last a little while but I can see it rusting out after a while. I think the bottom of the rack is exposed except for the rubber nubs.

Odyssey350kc

Yeah. It is steel. I'm gonna replace it soon. I checked under the nubs at the end when I bought it, I was surprised to find that it was coated all the way. Which is the only reason I put it in.

Odyssey350kc

Great news, all the fish and snails arrived alive and well. I was very impressed with blue zoo aquatics, first off with their reasonable pricing and free shipping, but what really surprised me was when the package arrived. Everything was triple bagged, the larger bags had supports so they wouldn't collapse, and It came with this awesome little acclimation guide with a drip line, suction cup, and a stress remover for the fish, and a little sample packet of food. Not to mention the fish look awesome! omgomgomg

Drip acclimating the fish

20150414_124835_zpsx8bhhpaa.jpg

I was able to get a shot of the melanurus wrasse before he buried himself. I can't believe how beautiful this fish is. Its even nicer than the pics they use on their website. And he is quite large.

20150414_163943_zpsudsw5pbm.jpg

Goby was trying to be a bit suicidal. During acclimation if one of the other fish came near him he would jump out of the water and stick to side of the styrofoam. I had to save him 4 times. But he seemed ok once in the tank.

20150414_135248_zps8pyt2jyy.jpg

Not pictured - Bartletts anthia immediately swam behind the rockwork to hide. It did poke out a few times later on when i fed the tank though so it is ok.

Yellow coris wrasse - swam to the base of a rock and immediately buried itself in the sand

So I look at my tank tonight and think, wow I just spent nearly $100 on fish that hide in the sand - with the exception of the anthia who is also hiding. <_< nice.

• Like 4
Odyssey350kc

Couple pics for laughs. Found a hermit crab riding a hermit crab earlier.

20150414_164548_zpse8fslwml.jpg

And saw this on facebook thought it was funny.

FB_IMG_1429039922674_zpsdrcdjh7q.jpg

• Like 3

673081.jpg

Not a bad catch. Stocking a 40b from scratch is an investment... Glad everything arrived well.

Most of my fish hid when they were new as well, but now they follow me around on the other side of the glass when I'm close to the tank. I have a 3 & 5yr old though that like to rush up so it took a bit for them to get used to that.

The good news is that it looks like you have plenty of hiding spots, which IME actually helps fish become bolder quicker.

• Like 1
Odyssey350kc

Yeah there are definetly enough hiding spots now, I rearranged the tank a bit before the fish came in with a couple of caves for them to hide in. It seems to have worked though because today when i got home the melanurus wrasse was cruising around the whole tank and the anthia now swims around about 50% of the time then darts back to its hidey hole, but its a big inprovement over not coming out at all.

Here she is

20150416_165655_zpsghjwgvjb.jpg

I also want to do a shout out to bulk reef supply and their reef calculator, I used it and it raised my levels exactly what it said it would, amazing!

Today reads: Calcium 400

Magnesium 1100

ALK 8.4

Just gonna keep raising it slowly up.

Odyssey350kc

Does anyone have any experience with the yellow coris wrasse. Its coming up on 4 days and its still hiding. is it normal for them to hide this long?

wrassegauche17

yellows usually dont hide that long, do you have a top on your tank?

they are lightening fast and can jump before you know it. hope your guy shows up soon.

Odyssey350kc

Well I'm officially annoyed. The yellow coris is still missing since tuesday, along with the hifin goby. I wish I hadn't gotten fish that like to hide.

But now I cannot find my chromis, one day hes swimming around happy as can be eating like a pig, the next day nowhere to be found.

Well I'm officially annoyed. The yellow coris is still missing since tuesday, along with the hifin goby. I wish I hadn't gotten fish that like to hide.

But now I cannot find my chromis, one day hes swimming around happy as can be eating like a pig, the next day nowhere to be found.

Hopefully with time they will become more comfortaBLE

Bummer. Time to check the overflow box and sump if you haven't already. I've had a fish-can't remember exactly what it was - that liked to sneak into the overflow box and chill there on multiple occasions. I've had some FW fish somehow jump UP INTO the HOB power filter as well - those took a long time to find.

The wrasse and goby I would still give some time... Maybe try putting a little frozen mysis in the water and then walk away for a little bit. Hopefully all the fish come out at that point. The chromis though, that doesn't sound too good. They usually start swarming around in fairly short order.

My chromis went missing on Thursday - found it dead tonight. I know what the cause was (fluke - must have survived the prazi-pro treatment from a few weeks ago) as I noticed one attached on Wednesday night. It was a really tiny chromis (<1" long) so it didn't take long :( Not sure if I'll replace it at this point. I did re-treat the tank with prazi-pro.

Odyssey350kc

Love the pics, especially the clowns.

Thanks, they love that frogspawn, I had them in a breeder net for about a week while the new fish got acclimated, as soon as I let them out they went straight for it.

Odyssey350kc

Well I am out of town for a few days and apparently my melanurus wrasse has gone missing. Seems strange that a fish could be perfectly fine for 6 days eating great and suddenly dissapear. Has this ever happened to anyone else. The same thing happened to my chromis.

Well I am out of town for a few days and apparently my melanurus wrasse has gone missing. Seems strange that a fish could be perfectly fine for 6 days eating great and suddenly dissapear. Has this ever happened to anyone else. The same thing happened to my chromis.

Soo... Does that mean the yellow wrasse and the goby re-appeared?

I would expect the worse for the chromis in all honesty. As a planktivore they should be buzzing all over the place. Not sure on the Melanarus - I suppose those have a tendency to burrow, but after this long I would imagine it to be out during the day.

Well, hoping everything stays fine. How are you feeding the anthias?

Odyssey350kc

Nope. The only fish I can see at this point are the two clowns and the anthia. Everything else is gone. I feed the anthia a mix of pellet food, and mysis. Twice a day. 3 times a day on the weekends. Gobbles everything up. I just hope the anthia doesn't go missing too.

• Odyssey350kc changed the title to Odyssey's 40 Breeder