inTank Media Baskets

Odyssey's 40 Breeder

Odyssey350kc

Psh, let me know when you get a triggerfish that does the same thing. :P

Lol, yeah i wouldn't want that. Its funny though, didn't show in the vid of course but earlier she bit me like 10 times. Nearly jumped out of the water to attack my hand.

20150223_201106_zps4ba14f3c.jpg

20150223_201110_zpsc3e4d036.jpg

20150223_201056_zps2908e9c0.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
Odyssey350kc

So a little update on the tank. Everything was still looking closed up and not too happy after the first week, So I decided to throw in a bag of carbon and finally set up the skimmer, and what do you know - everything is happy now! yay.

My Flower anemone was so excited it started to spread its seed all over the tank, too bad I dont have another flower anemone because i would have babies for sure after this thing was done. I was actually able to get a video of it occuring, its not all that clear but if you look closely you can see the white stuff coming out of the mouth in the middle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngb6RoX61iE&feature=youtu.be

I am having a little problem with my skimmer. I had the thing working great for the past 4 days, Just about filled the cup with dirty water, not brown but at least a dark tea color. I changed out my filter socks, emptied the skimmer cup, rinsed it out, re-installed it and turned the filter back on, I checked a couple hours later only to find the skimmer overflowing like crazy. The only other thing I changed was I removed the carbon bag and was planning on adding fresh carbon tomorrow.

Is it normal to have to readjust the skimmer after every filter change? I am unable to get the thing to stop overflowing.

I'm new to skimmers so not sure exactly what to do.

Odyssey350kc

Got my reactor hooked up today. Just glad I went with the 40 gallon sump there's no way I would have fit everything in a little 20 gallon.

20150315_191225_zps1nfckdob.jpg

As soon as I added the reactor though, my skimmer instantly lost most of its bubbles. Is this normal?

20150315_191255_zpsxp4rjc1j.jpg

Odyssey350kc

Took a trip to the local fish store today and came home with a few goodies. Including a nice little chromis.

20150322_170652_zpsalsfqz3e.jpg

I also relocated my clam to the bottom of the tank where i could get a better view of it. This pic was taken less than an hour after the move, seems happy.

20150322_170719_zpso6ikl5oj.jpg

Another of the toadstool, love how neon green the tips are.

20150322_170700_zpsc5ozifpa.jpg

• Like 1

Haven't peeped in for a while - tank looks great. I want to see more details on that stand! Super sexy! I'm a fan of using natural materials to achieve a somewhat modern look.

I just started my 40br tank back up - I should probably start a tank thread...

I like the corals you have - I wanted to get a similar looking flower nem over the weekend but it was stuck to the bottom of the tank and I didn't want to risk harming it so I had the LFS guy leave it be. I'm sure I'll have a good chance for another soon enough though.

Anyways - not sure about the skimmer issues, but it's not uncommon for various changes to the system to have a temporarily disruptive effect on the skimmer.

• Like 1

When you're skimmer started overflowing, you said you'd replaced the filter sock. Was the filter sock brand new? Something about new filter socks makes skimmers go nuts for a bit.

Odyssey350kc

When you're skimmer started overflowing, you said you'd replaced the filter sock. Was the filter sock brand new? Something about new filter socks makes skimmers go nuts for a bit.

That must have been it, Good call. I had just added a new pair of filter socks. It has been running great for a week or so now though. I think I still need to adjust it a little though. It takes about 5 days to fill the cup but it is very watery, looks like a brown tea color.

How's the water flow in the tank with a single mp10?

I personally think its pretty good, I do however have another 800gph of flow via the return from the sump so that adds quite a bit. You can tell the top of the tank gets the majority of the water flow, but thats what i was going for anyway, keep if ripping up top where the sps will go, and slower flow down the bottom for the softies.

• Like 2
Spoon Fed EM1

I personally think its pretty good, I do however have another 800gph of flow via the return from the sump so that adds quite a bit. You can tell the top of the tank gets the majority of the water flow, but thats what i was going for anyway, keep if ripping up top where the sps will go, and slower flow down the bottom for the softies.

Thanks for replying me back. Causerious I'm also starting my 40B build soon and I'm still debating on either a 2xMP10, 1xMP40 or 2xMP40 for my setup. It's gonna be a sps/lps tank but mostly lps. I just want to have enough to circulate the entire tank and don't want no dead spots for debris to settle

• 2 weeks later...
Odyssey350kc

I am planning on starting to dose BRS 2 part. I have been being good and not spending my money on anything else until i can save enough to buy the 2 part kit and testing equiptment.

My dilemma is weather i should purchase the Red Sea test kit for $60

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/red-sea-reef-foundation-pro-multi-test-kit-ca-alk-mg.html

or

Purchase 2 seperate Hanna checkers and a magnesium test kit for a total of close to $120

Are the Hanna checkers worth it?

Tank looks great :) My 1st clownfish was a real bully, I swear she had shark teeth! The pair I have now is real passive (think I am just lucky on that one).

I have read the Hanna Ca checker is not accurate at all. I think the alk one works fine but the reagents are fairly costly. So I guess you need to weigh cost vs reading a # or a trying to decipher a color.

Amazon has it for $45 btw :)http://www.amazon.com/Red-Sea-Reef-Foundation-Test/dp/B004FUJ5NE

Odyssey350kc

Tank looks great :) My 1st clownfish was a real bully, I swear she had shark teeth! The pair I have now is real passive (think I am just lucky on that one).

I have read the Hanna Ca checker is not accurate at all. I think the alk one works fine but the reagents are fairly costly. So I guess you need to weigh cost vs reading a # or a trying to decipher a color.

Amazon has it for $45 btw :)http://www.amazon.com/Red-Sea-Reef-Foundation-Test/dp/B004FUJ5NE

Yeah I heard they were a little bit inaccurate as well. I think ill just end up saving some money and getting the red sea kit. If by the time I use up all the tests in the kit and I still feal the need for the hanna checker im sure ill get one.

Odyssey350kc

So I was a bad person, rather than save up for my test kit and 2 part mix I went and dropped $140 on fishies. Ooops

Screenshot_2015-04-06-16-47-10_zpstmnrxg

After seeing Reypes beautiful Melanurus wrasse I did a little research and decided I had to have one. In my search for one for sale I stumbled across blue zoo aquatics just happened to be having a sale on fish and the Melanurus just happened to be 50% off.

I also hate paying for shipping, so of course I was swayed by the $140 free shipping offer and started adding other fish that I had been researching and wanted as well, just so happens when its all added up comes out to $140.08 it must be a sign. So I did it. The most money I have ever spent on anything besides equipment for my tank, and I am so excited.

Whats everyone think?

• Like 2
jedimasterben

Nice! I did the same thing last week when i bought all my damsels and chromis - eleven total lol. Was like $141 something total :)

• Like 1
Odyssey350kc

I'm bumming right now because I am out of town, and my chromis has been missing for several days. I had my girlfriend move all the rocks in search of it, but no sign of it.

I am always worried that my rock flower anemone would eat a fish. Not sure if thats what happened to him.

I saw the chromis hiding in the back of the tank on saturday, would there by no sign of him already if he died?

• Like 1

CUC's be quick on that stuff... Once all the flesh is removed the skeleton is really hard to spot and usually gets buried or otherwise lost...

A disappeared chromis probably means dead though... They don't usually hide after the first few days.

What all fish did you get for this tank? I just stocked mine a few weeks ago and I was pretty ambitious with my fish list... I usually stick with simple and cheap fish but this time I dropped about $130 total on fish. I was initally going to order online but after doing some thorough price comparison the difference was only a few $ so I purchased at the LFS where I could see the fish and not have to deal with shipping.

My stocking list:

1x Ocellaris

1x green chromis

1x solar wrasse (super male)

1x banggai cardinal

1x Yellowtail blue damsel

1x sixline wrasse

1x golden head sleeper goby

Overall I'm very happy with the look of the tank and though the bioload is pretty high (yeah, something I don't typically do) I plan to be fairly pro-active with my maintenance routine, and I'm also going to make an ATS (algae turf scrubber) to keep things in check once I get some good algae growth. I started the tank using dry rock so currently there's no algae present.

Ben, do you have a build thread on your ATS? I posted my plans in the DIY section a few weeks ago, I'll probably get to building it soon.

Odyssey350kc

Yeah, I think there might have been an unseen feast. My girlfriend said she noticed a bunch of bristle worms crawling around just before the lights went out.

We're you asking what fish I ordered aj?

Bartlett anthia

Yellow coris wrasse

Melanurus wrasse

Yellow rose goby

Plus the 2 clowns already in the tank will be all the fish.

Did you add all those fish at once?

That's my biggest concern at this time. I know my filtration can handle all the fish, I just don't want everything to spike suddenly. But I'm pretty sure I'll be alright with over 70 gallons of water total.

• Like 1
pewpewkittah

First time seeing this tank. It's pretty damn awesome!!

The overflow mod you did is quite unique. I have to disagree with you about the scape, I really like it. It's well balanced, natural and flows nicely from left to right. That clown fish video is so cute. I wish mine weren't so shy.

More pictures! And once again nice job :).

• Like 1

Yeah, I think there might have been an unseen feast. My girlfriend said she noticed a bunch of bristle worms crawling around just before the lights went out.

We're you asking what fish I ordered aj?

Bartlett anthia

Yellow coris wrasse

Melanurus wrasse

Yellow rose goby

Plus the 2 clowns already in the tank will be all the fish.

Did you add all those fish at once?

That's my biggest concern at this time. I know my filtration can handle all the fish, I just don't want everything to spike suddenly. But I'm pretty sure I'll be alright with over 70 gallons of water total.

Haha I was at work so I didn't see the picture of the shopping cart...

Also you have a chromis, right?

Anyways, those are some decent sized wrasses! Look them over very carefully for the first few days for parasites such as flukes. It seems that more often than not these hardy fish come in with "things" on/in them. Some signs would be hiding a lot even after a few days, clamped fins, abnormal gill movement, jittery movements or flashing, etc...

At one point I thought of getting an anthias, but I didn't feel up to it this time around. Possibly next tank build ;)

Anyways, For the most part I added all the fish at once to reduce my QT efforts - with these expensive fish I didn't want to take much of a chance (and guess what, my solar wrasse had flukes!). I used BRS pukani rock for the tank which had loads of dead stuff on/in it even after cleaning. So I had a fairly robust biofilter built up in the tank. I've cycled quite a few tanks now so I had a good reason to believe I wouldn't see a parameter spike.

jedimasterben

Ben, do you have a build thread on your ATS? I posted my plans in the DIY section a few weeks ago, I'll probably get to building it soon.

No, not really. All it was was a piece of cross-stitch mesh attached to the side of my sump with suction cups and with a light on it lol

• Like 1
  • Odyssey350kc changed the title to Odyssey's 40 Breeder