ReefCleaners.org

Man Cave Upgrade!.......any reason not to!?!?

Cousin Eddie 420

Cousin Eddie 420

It's been 7+ years since I tore down my tank.......wife went and got herself pregnant and you know the rest. Lost the pool table too, but that's another story. So I decide to buy my son, Gavin, who is now 7 a simple freshwater setup for X-mass. Why oh why did I go to my old LFS??..why!. I should have just gone to Petco dam it!

In the infamous words of Michael Corleone, " Just when I thought I was out.....they pull me back in!"

I've got the bug again....an expensive bug as you all know. My old setup is too big too bulky....75 gal, huge sump....etc. But these 29 Biocubes are nice! I've been reading the Biocube Resource guide. great resource and thanks for all the posts.

I think I have a perfect location picked out and would appreciate any feedback. I can't seem to come up with a single argument that works against this placement:

ManCave2_zps60321b44.png

ManCave1_zps5853bd7e.jpg

I shot Steve from InTank a question the other day and he was quick to respond and has inspired me to post.

Can't see any issues with the location...Bar top is 24 inches wide giving me plenty of room....water, power (2 outlets) are easily accessible and the bar should be able to hold the weight..it's rock solid If I feel the need, I can add 4x4 underneath. I can easily snake all wires through the wall using 2 recessed wall plates connected to a an American DJ power strip.....RODI hidden underneath the sink......please stop me!!!!

I am curious as to how much space do I need to leave the tank away from the wall in order to open the lid completely? Thanks in advance

Good news is, I wont get going on this build till after the holidays (haven't even set up the fresh tank yet....will be under the tree). Gives me time to research and plan. Plus I can throw all my old gear on Craigslist to reduce the initial wallet sting of the "Barcube".and will help to sell the idea of another tank to my better half. I'm thinking all my old stuff should easily pull in $1000 - 1200...should give me a nice start on a sweet setup. Hell, maybe I could post my old gear on here?....who knows?

Appreciate any feedback and input. Looking forward to many posts and making some friends.

Peace

CE420

(I hope the dam pics posted)

• Like 4

To get the kid to hing up and rest against my wall without being in danger of it falling back down I had to set my tank just under 4" from my wall. Not terrible but looking from the side I could see someone thinking "why didn't he set that against the wall.."

Lid. Not kid...

Cousin Eddie 420

Thanks for the comments. 4 Inches?....really? Can't you just pull the pins on the hood and remove the whole thing?....or is it a pain in the ass?

Hmm....I think I need to get creative and figure a way to improve on that gap. I'm a neat freak when it comes to my tanks. Interior wall behind the tank is simple 2x4 construction. Thinking

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments. 4 Inches?....really? Can't you just pull the pins on the hood and remove the whole thing?....or is it a pain in the ass?

Hmm....I think I need to get creative and figure a way to improve on that gap. I'm a neat freak when it comes to my tanks. Interior wall behind the tank is simple 2x4 construction. Thinking

Build a custom ATO to fit in that 4-5 inch spot behind the tank and build some type of enclosure to make it look like it belongs? Make the space functional. :)

• Like 1

OK, first things first. I'm a big time beer lover. Have had a tap for over 20 years, currently with Racer 5 IPA. What kind of beer do you have on tap, and what time should I be there to start the build. Your man cave is RAD! My man cave is in my garage, but all my toys are out there, so it's pretty awesome. I have my Harley, my RC helicopters, my banjo and my tapper, all within arms reach of each other. The only thing missing is my tank...so I'm jealous! Anyway, do it. It's gonna look awesome, just keep your drinking buddies away from the fish food!!!

I've never pulled the pins on my hood so can't say for sure but they look like it might be a pain to remove them. But if you don't put them back in every time and are good with lifting it off then go for it.

Cousin Eddie 420

I've got a ton of space directly underneath the bar for an ATO and extras, but some sort of black Plexiglas/ acrylic/plastic enclosure that extends the profile of the rear of the tank might work. Doesn't even need to clip on anywhere....just drop it in behind the tank snug against the wall.....add a few slots for heat dispersion. Hmm sounds pricey.....if I could even find someone to do it

Don't know where you are located, but there is a place here in San Diego called Ridout Plastics. I have purchased custom cut acrylic from them numerous times, and you will be surprised how inexpensive it is. The glue used to fuse the stuff together is really easy to use too. You should look into it.

The pins on a coralline biocube are easy to remove with a pliars and your other fingers. Don't know if you wat to do it all the time though.

Another thought on your ATO float. The chambers really don't support the size let alone the accuracy of float or basically at all plus you want to add goo equipment to them. It just spells disaster IMO IME in my everything with nano tanks. Bigger tanks yets but when a few drops mean disaster in a nano not so much to save a few bucks for beer money which is always funded no matter what and make the wife pay for the kids college or everyone can get a loan now a days.

Start at 4.40 if this doesn't.

Cousin Eddie 420

Problem Solved!

http://s42.photobucket.com/user/johncarrara/media/Shadowbox_zpsc42fb90b.jpg.html'>Shadowbox_zpsc42fb90b.jpg

Simple shadowbox/wall mod: Basically set the shadowbox into the wall (isn't that what sawzalls are made for!?!). The one above is 18 x 24. I think I need to search for bigger, but you get the point. Notch the studs and screw it in....plus I would cut out the bottom horizontal piece in order to snake all the wires n tubing underneath the bar. Then mount that piece I cut out higher within the shadowbox to serve as a shelf (removable) Basically when I need to open up the "Beercube", all I'd have to do is remove the shelf and flip her open. This one I found has 2 or 3 inch depth options. I'm thinking even the hinges could disappear into the wall!!

rnmike, I've done some acrylic work back in the day....simple 90 degree gluing within sumps....nothing this complex I think the shadowbox is the way to go. The more I can get the tank flush to the wall...the more "precious" bar top space I get back....lol

Thanks for the vid Stevie....yeah there's no way I'd want to remove the pins every time and I think I'm getting a little ahead of myself at this point regarding a Nano RODI...lets get my placement game plan down. I have an Air Water Ice RODI currently, but it's way too big, would never fit under the sink. It will be part of my Craigslist listing.

Speaking of witch, I need to get this listing for my old gear going: killer sump, Little Giant MD-QX pumps, ballasts, RODI, 75 Gal tank, Classic Oak stand and canopy....etc. Maybe I'll take some pix and get some opinions on what I should be asking for it all....any issues with that on this forum? For what it's worth....Stevie will be a direct benefactor of this sale...lol The sump, pumps and lights have never been used....was in the middle of a overall when I shut her down. Doh!

The saga continues.......

Peace

CE420

If you came here to get us to convince you not to build this thing, you shot yourself in the foot by showing us pics. ;)

He's shot Steve and now his foot?! Haha!

• Like 1
Cousin Eddie 420

Dam bro!!....what the hell happened? I hope my Boston vernacular didn't curse you......cuz that looks like a wicked pissah gash.

Anyone know the dimensions of just the BC 29 hood?....LxWxH? Also, when the hood is completely opened, how high does it extend from the bottom of the tank?

Since I'm a "nub" to this site, I was hopping someone could refer me to a member's biocube 29 build thread.....as comprehensive as possible....even "step by step" would be great. As I'm in the planning stages, a thread like this could be great resource for me just to get my gameplan going. Thanks!!

By the way, I think I figured out why the design of the BC appeals to me so much:

20141214_124440_zpsdvrdgybc.jpg

My son Gavin's hockey helmet

Peace!

CE420

Cousin Eddie 420

Hey all. X-mass almost here and planning out my son's 16 Gal freshwater tank..........or more commonly referred to as "my excuse to get back into salt"

20141215_091128_zpstq6oj2xv.jpg

Spot picked out (other side of the "Man Cave") and all set to go and will be wrapped up under the tree tonight. .One quick question for any of you electricians,....I"m using an internal Fluval U2 filter and I'd like to add a simple "rocker switch" or "Lamp switch" so i can kill the pump for feeding time. Anyone see any issues? Severely limited on space...the tank is only 8 inches deep. So I'm snaking light, pump and heater cords to an exensiont cord all into into that small box on the left and can't stand the thought of diving into it every time I want to kill the pump. I can pick one up at the Depot or through Amazon.on the cheap. Here's a pic of the pump label regarding volts/watts....etc. Appreciate any assistance...hate to kill myself x-mass morn......doh!

20141222_130046_zpsenmlgz8u.jpg

Craigslist addy for my old gear is coming along.....hope to have it posted some time next week. Know anyone looking for a sweet sump?

20141222_121243_zpszxb6netv.jpg

Enjoy the holidays with friends and family

Peace

CE420

• Like 2

Anyone know the dimensions of just the BC 29 hood?....LxWxH? Also, when the hood is completely opened, how high does it extend from the bottom of the tank?

The Coralife BC29 is basically a cube..

It's 22lx20w but it is only 16.5" tall (to the top of the tank, not including the hood). The hinges and flanges on the hood stick out about 1" in the back. The hood itself is 3.5" tall with essentially the same 22lx20w.

You'll need at least 4 inches of depth for the hood to stay open. With the hood open tank bottom to tip of the open hood is about 38".

That said, at least on mine.. the pins come out easy. You could just leave them out and remove the hood completely if you need to get into the tank.

• Like 1
Cousin Eddie 420

The Coralife BC29 is basically a cube..

It's 22lx20w but it is only 16.5" tall (to the top of the tank, not including the hood). The hinges and flanges on the hood stick out about 1" in the back. The hood itself is 3.5" tall with essentially the same 22lx20w.

You'll need at least 4 inches of depth for the hood to stay open. With the hood open tank bottom to tip of the open hood is about 38".

That said, at least on mine.. the pins come out easy. You could just leave them out and remove the hood completely if you need to get into the tank.

Thanks Nano..I heard from Stevie as well. It's allowed me to take some measurements....pre-plan. I'll probably wait till I get my hands on the tank before I go tearing into the wall. It'll allow me to customize it better. Is there some sort of "gas shock" (like you see used on a SUV rear hatch but "Nano" in size) available for this thing to raise the hood ?....or is there a mod out on the web? Might have to come up with one myself.

I'm not familiar with the Biocube, but my old JBJ Nanocube didn't need 4 inches of clearance. With no clearance at all the top propped open for maintenance and will pop out of the hinges pretty easily when you need to remove.