SaltCritters.com

Overflow placement questions.

0utkast

Ok so arriving today is going to be my glass-holes.com overflow. It will be used on a Deep blue 24x24x12 rimless aquarium. I didn't want to drill 4-5 holes and sound doesn't really matter so I went with the glass holes kit. 700gph kit with a single return. Keep in mind I will only be running 220-300 gph through it. Now to the questions.

1. Where should I place it on the back wall? Center or slightly off center. Id like to leave enough room for rw-4s on the back wall if possible. I can't afford mp10s right now and I think wires running down the side would be sloppy. (granted over the back wall isn't the greatest either but the better of the 2).

Center:

Assembly1_zps36936727.png

Offset:

Assembly2_zps68b314ac.png

2. Ive never put an overflow on a rimless. Any suggestions how far from the top the overflow should go?

I guess I can add corner also. Would have to run the pump on the side glass just angled forward.

Assembly3_zpsa9e639b3.png

072310a.jpg

I wanted to be able to clean around all sides so I didn't stick mine in the corner. A centered overflow would have worked too. You can see how high I put my 300gph overflow. Any higher would have been too high as ripples coming from the return were pretty close to the top.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
On 12/5/2014 at 9:06 PM, seabass said:

072310a.jpg

I wanted to be able to clean around all sides so I didn't stick mine in the corner. A centered overflow would have worked too. You can see how high I put my 300gph overflow. Any higher would have been too high as ripples coming from the return were pretty close to the top.

Bringing back a thread from the dead... Just curious why you chose to place the overflow where you did, is it strictly aesthetics or is there some benefit mechanics-wise to placing the overflow on one side and the return on the other?

I'm trying to decide on the overflow/return placement for my 36" long tank. It will have an overflow box and one return. I'm unsure if it would be better flow-wise to have the overflow in the center and the return on either the left or right side, or a setup like you had with the overflow on one side and the return on the other. 

I've read your thread for this build and I must say I think the entire setup is absolutely beautiful. And the plumbing so simple, which is what I'm going for with my current build. One thing I noticed with the plumbing is you have no gate/ball valves installed which is different from almost all setups I've seen. Is there a reason for that? Just wondering if there is some way for me to make my build simpler, and not having to install gate/ball valves would do it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

12 minutes ago, samnaz said:

Just curious why you chose to place the overflow where you did, is it strictly aesthetics or is there some benefit mechanics-wise to placing the overflow on one side and the return on the other?

I don't believe it would make a huge difference one way or another, so personal aesthetics will play a big part.  It was also for flow, as the return creates some flow too.  And I'm not sure if it makes any difference at all, but the thought of separating the filtered water of the return, and the unfiltered water entering the overflow, felt right to me.

But in the end, the return nozzle (no matter where it's placed) should separate the filtered water from the overflow.  So whatever makes the most sense to you.  Another consideration for me was being able to clean all sides of the overflow; so I didn't want it right up against the side wall.

I've read your thread for this build and I must say I think the entire setup is absolutely beautiful.

Thank You!

One thing I noticed with the plumbing is you have no gate/ball valves installed which is different from almost all setups I've seen. Is there a reason for that?

With a single drain pipe, you don't want a valve on the drain.  You only do that when you have a full siphon drain with a second emergency drain.  That way, as the drain becomes restricted (with algae, bacterial film, or a snail), the extra water is sent down the emergency drain, versus causing a flood.

The siphon drain is, by design, a quieter setup.  That's why they are so popular.  However, I found that the low flow of that setup (maybe around 100 gph) was very quiet and worked well for me.  Like many people, I used a MP10 for additional flow in the display.