ReefCleaners.org

Innovative Marine Fusion 10 Club

obeythefro

Hey guys

Been following since day one but never posted. 

Im10 setup

Ai prime hd  saxby setting tweeked

mp-10

sicce .5  / smart stream nozzle

intank media basket

-filter floss

-chemipure blue nano 2 bags

-brightwell xport bio cubes

Weekly water changes 3-4 gals 

Replaced screen Glass top for evap

no ato just add water evey other day

My questions

I want to run a skimmer mostly for gas exchange but would also like to help clean water between waterchanges.  I like the eshopps nano or the aquamaxx nf-1 (out of stock everywhere is it discontinued?). I am against air stone skimmers.  The problem with both would be that bulky bracket off the ai prime mount?

Do i run stock pump and mp-10 or simplify things (clean setup) and go different route and run sicce 1.0 and smartstream nozzle on return and no mp-10?

Running acans, hammers, torch, montis, candy canes, chalice, etc.

fish

2 black ice clowns

flame prawn goby

hi fin red banded goby

panda goby

ruby red dragonet

fire shrimp

cleaner shrimp

bubble anem

On instagram @kriswendorf

• Like 1
Tuan’s Reef
23 minutes ago, Kriswendorf said:

Hey guys

Im10 setup

mp-10

intank media basket

-filter floss

My questions

I want to run a skimmer mostly for gas exchange but would also like to help clean water between waterchanges.  I like the eshopps nano or the aquamaxx nf-1 (out of stock everywhere is it discontinued?). I am against air stone skimmers.  The problem with both would be that bulky bracket off the ai prime mount?

Do i run stock pump and mp-10 or simplify things (clean setup) and go different route and run sicce 1.0 and smartstream nozzle on return and no mp-10?

fish

2 black ice clowns

flame prawn goby

hi fin red banded goby

panda goby

ruby red dragonet

fire shrimp

cleaner shrimp

bubble anem

IMO that’s a heavy bio load for a 10g.  How’s your parameters? 

My stock pump was noisy so I upgraded to the MJ 600.  I have a hydor nano 240 circ pump with it. Has good flow . But if I had a mp10 I would def run that. 

I like the idea of spin stream but at 20-30 per unit , it just a bit expensive.  I can get a hydor circ pump for the same price which has way more flexibility 

38 minutes ago, Tuan’s Reef said:

IMO that’s a heavy bio load for a 10g.  How’s your parameters? 

My stock pump was noisy so I upgraded to the MJ 600.  I have a hydor nano 240 circ pump with it. Has good flow . But if I had a mp10 I would def run that. 

I like the idea of spin stream but at 20-30 per unit , it just a bit expensive.  I can get a hydor circ pump for the same price which has way more flexibility 

All corals looking good very low nitrates.

Icp analysis

cal 435

mag 1385

Salifert 

alk 8.5

hanna 

phos .03

nitrate 5-8 ppm

Remember i dont need a perfectly clean tank. Not running sps only tank. I am very up on water changes and siphon clean the sand every week. Feed frozen prewashed. 

I tried wp-10, rw-4 12v and 24v ran ok

now running mp-10. Liked it better but now maybe simplify no circ pump just return 

1 hour ago, Kriswendorf said:

Hey guys

Im10 setup

mp-10

intank media basket

-filter floss

My questions

fish

2 black ice clowns

flame prawn goby

hi fin red banded goby

panda goby

ruby red dragonet

fire shrimp

cleaner shrimp

bubble anem

How did you manage to successfully keep so many fish in a 10 gallon tank? Everywhere I’ve looked, they recommend 2-3? 

What do you guys have for your flow for the tank? A long with the return pump flow I have a 240 gph Hydor Koralia Powerhead. Would this be too much flow for the 10 gallon tank? I don’t know how the corals would react once I start streaks cling the tank 

4 minutes ago, Shakeb1000 said:

How did you manage to successfully keep so many fish in a 10 gallon tank? Everywhere I’ve looked, they recommend 2-3? 

Smaller fish, feed minimal, and most important WATER CHANGES.  I believe heavily on water changes. If you are setup for minimal waterchanges and dosing with a lot of coral and low bioload you can have a good setup. But if you have a higher bioload water changes are key, i dont care how much equipment you have. 

8 minutes ago, Kriswendorf said:

Smaller fish, feed minimal, and most important WATER CHANGES.  I believe heavily on water changes. If you are setup for minimal waterchanges and dosing with a lot of coral and low bioload you can have a good setup. But if you have a higher bioload water changes are key, i dont care how much equipment you have. 

My tanks currently cycling but I plan on having 2 clownfish some snails and a lot of corals over time. Do you think a 10% water change every week would be sufficient? Or do I need to do more? I only have chemi pure packets and a filter sock for filtration 

11 minutes ago, Shakeb1000 said:

What do you guys have for your flow for the tank? A long with the return pump flow I have a 240 gph Hydor Koralia Powerhead. Would this be too much flow for the 10 gallon tank? I don’t know how the corals would react once I start streaks cling the tank 

Sicce .5 or 1.0 if your not going to running powerhead and sps corals. 

Mp-10

rw-4 with the 12v mod

wp-10 they will come with the rw-4 controller and do the 12v mod too. 

1 minute ago, Kriswendorf said:

Sicce .5 or 1.0 if your not going to running powerhead and sps corals. 

Mp-10

rw-4 with the 12v mod

wp-10 they will come with the rw-4 controller and do the 12v mod too. 

Could you explain that again if you don’t mind, I’m a beginner and I’m quite confused ☠️

Just now, Shakeb1000 said:

My tanks currently cycling but I plan on having 2 clownfish some snails and a lot of corals over time. Do you think a 10% water change every week would be sufficient? Or do I need to do more? I only have chemi pure packets and a filter sock for filtration 

Pull the filter sock run an intank media basket filter floss or pad on top, middle i run chemipure blue nano, bottom any bio filter. I run xport bio. I do 3-4 gallons every weekend. Just make it a habit.

Just now, Kriswendorf said:

Pull the filter sock run an intank media basket filter floss or pad on top, middle i run chemipure blue nano, bottom any bio filter. I run xport bio. I do 3-4 gallons every weekend. Just make it a habit.

That’s a lot, but I guess that’s what it takes to run a successful reef tank. I’ll try to do so thanks 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't had the time to post pics or do a write up.

Nuvo Fusion 10

Intank media basket

top - filter pad

middle - chemipure blue nano

bottom - xport bio cubes

stock pump for return with spin stream nozzle

mp-10 circulation

ai prime hd 

eshopps nano skimmer

glass heater

I have been following this thread since day one. I have done it all from different lighting to different pumps. I chose to run this setup not because it is the best but because it works for me.

Filtration

I run the the intank media basket with a filter pad, chemipure blue nano, and xport bio cubes.  I choose to run filter pad (half blue half white) over filter floss just because it filters well but wont get clogged up and over flow the tank if i forgot to change it or i had a lazy week.  i run the chemipure blue because it worked for me and easy and simple to change. They come in simple packages that i can just pull two packs out and throw them in the basket. I run the xport bio cubes because my brother (owns a fish tank business) had them on hand and i used them. Just needed some type of bio filtration.

Return Pump

For the return side of things I run the stock pump and a spin stream nozzle. If and when it burns out I will run the sicce .5 pump. I own both a sicce .5 and a sicce 1.0. If i wasn'tt going to run a circ pump like an mp10 i would run the sicce 1.0 for return and get all my flow numbers with that. Be careful if you are running all sps or sps mix i would run a circulation pump. You will never get the flow numbers needed with just the sicce 1.0. I personally like to run lower return flow numbers so its not ripping through my media. Slower numbers to me equals better exchange. 

Circulation Pump

For circulation I ended up going with the mp10. Yes it was the best pump I have tried. It is quite expensive but I would definitely save the money for one. I have tried the wp-10, rw-4, and the sw-2. All very good pumps. All worked well on 24v the only draw back was they were almost too much. So I tried the 12v mod on all of them. That helped out with the speed but I still felt like i couldn't get the flow pattern i wanted. But I also ran into break down problems. I think this was the big reason I stopped using them. I dont know if it was because of the lower voltage or because they are a jebao pump(Chinese). They would just stop spinning. This led me to getting an mp-10 wireless with reeflink. The best move i could have made. All my problems and concerns went away. All positives except price. There are two things you need to learn with the wp-10. First never take the wet side off when running and learn to take apart the wet side completely and clean it regularly. All your mp-10 problems will go away.  I personally don't run the foam around the wet side just because i like to use the pump when i feed.

Skimmer

Skimmer VS No Skimmer

I run a skimmer because of the gas exchange. Yes it helps out through the week but it was mainly for gas exchange. I run a glass top on my tank for evaporation(explain later). I feel the best thing you can do for these small tanks are WATER CHANGES. I have tried many skimmers and found that the Eshopps nano worked the best for me. Easy to adjust, relatively quiet, and it runs a sicce pump. Its simple and works great, oh and also fits with little adjustment to the mount for my lighting.

Lighting

I am running the AI Prime HD. I only tried two lights, this one and the kessil. I liked the prime better but both were good. The kessil had more shimmer and seemed more crisp but I liked the app and controllability better on the prime. Sometimes the shimmer on the kessil was too much.  

Other Comments

Why do I run glass top instead of ATO? I chose this simply because I have rodi on hand all the time and top off tank everytime i feed. It was easier than trying to find room for an ato. If i had a bigger tank i would run an ato. 

I run esv B-Ionic 2 part. Very easy period. If i had a bigger tank I think I would run equipment for alk and cal.

For coral food I feed reefroids mixed up in a thick paste like and use an oral syringe to inject onto the corals with all pumps turned off.

I do that once a week and run acropower.

I feed frozen food which is one thing i wish i didn't. I would love to feed pellets and make it real simple but feel if i did i would lose some fish.

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1009.jpg

IMG_1007.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A little confused here... I went the cheap route and purchased the API Reef Test kit. Now my issue... I test Calcium at about 420-440 doesn’t fluctuate much my AlK is between 8-9, and Mag I’m using Salifert and I’m getting about 1420... So I went to my LFS to get the Params tested and he got ALK at 8.3 Calcium at 350 and my Mag at 1120 😐 

has anybody used API for Calcium or tested it against another test. And as far as Salifert the only thing I can think of is when I draw it up the Regen 3 is to about the .8ml on the syringe but I don’t think that would make a difference, would it? 

Is my LFS tests maybe off? Expirations on my kits are within their shelf life

my corals seem to be doing fine I have LPS and my Acans are sprouting new heads like crazy... 

LogicalReefs
22 hours ago, Wherrey said:

A little confused here... I went the cheap route and purchased the API Reef Test kit. Now my issue... I test Calcium at about 420-440 doesn’t fluctuate much my AlK is between 8-9, and Mag I’m using Salifert and I’m getting about 1420... So I went to my LFS to get the Params tested and he got ALK at 8.3 Calcium at 350 and my Mag at 1120 😐 

has anybody used API for Calcium or tested it against another test. And as far as Salifert the only thing I can think of is when I draw it up the Regen 3 is to about the .8ml on the syringe but I don’t think that would make a difference, would it? 

my corals seem to be doing fine I have LPS and my Acans are sprouting new heads like crazy... 

The API test kits aren’t the best. They are like range tests for me. They’ll let you know your parameters can be between this number and this number. 

I know of a lot of people that really only test alk and salinity while doing water changes at least once a week. I’m not saying go that route, but I wouldn’t worry to much if your corals look good.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, LogicalReefs said:

The API test kits aren’t the best. They are like range tests for me. They’ll let you know your parameters can be between this number and this number. 

I know of a lot of people that really only test alk and salinity while doing water changes at least once a week. I’m not saying go that route, but I wouldn’t worry to much if your corals look good.

And some of us are like, "What's a test kit?" :lol: Not saying go that route either lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 1/6/2019 at 10:58 PM, Wherrey said:

What brand of salt?

I wouldn't be too worried about it if the corals look good. 

14 hours ago, LogicalReefs said:

Even if it’s a range I’d be fine the only thing worrying me was the difference in numbers from the LFS 

7 hours ago, Tamberav said:

What brand of salt?

I wouldn't be too worried about it if the corals look good. 

Im using the Fritz RPM and I mix it at 1.025

1 hour ago, Wherrey said:

Even if it’s a range I’d be fine the only thing worrying me was the difference in numbers from the LFS 

Im using the Fritz RPM and I mix it at 1.025

Your LFS tests are not right then. Yours are spot on for what it should mix to and what mine generally mixes too. I have never heard of fritz being too low in Mg, only too high, Mg usually around 1400-1500, Ca right around 400-450, alk 8-9. If you are doing weekly water changes, no way your Mg dropped to 1100ish with your small amount of soft corals.

8 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Your LFS tests are not right then. Yours are spot on for what it should mix to and what mine generally mixes too. I have never heard of fritz being too low in Mg, only too high, Mg usually around 1400-1500, Ca right around 400-450, alk 8-9. If you are doing weekly water changes, no way your Mg dropped to 1100ish with your small amount of soft corals.

Im on top of my water changes every Sunday and i do roughly 2 1/2 gallons half of my 5 gallon water jug. When I test mag with my Salifert test I get about 1420 so when LFS was telling me like 1120 I was a bit worried 😧. I was about to start dosing Calcium and mag  but I held off and decided to ask around on here about the tests before i did anything. 

2 hours ago, Wherrey said:

Im on top of my water changes every Sunday and i do roughly 2 1/2 gallons half of my 5 gallon water jug. When I test mag with my Salifert test I get about 1420 so when LFS was telling me like 1120 I was a bit worried 😧. I was about to start dosing Calcium and mag  but I held off and decided to ask around on here about the tests before i did anything. 

The only way I could see it being that low at 1.026ish salinity is if your refractometer is off to make sure that is calibrated would be the first thing to check. 

• Thanks 1
Tuan’s Reef

14 minutes ago, Lhernandez8615 said:

On the topic at hand curious what everthing thinks as far as the best brand to use for test kits?

Been researching that myself.  I have the Red Sea foundation kit for mag,alk, ca.  Hannah checker for copper and ultra low phosphate checker.  Using API for ammonia, nitrite , nitrate, ph . 

That said i hear the Red Sea nitrate test is good.  I want the new Hannah digital refractometer