Pod Your Reef

Innovative Marine Fusion 10 Club

obeythefro

I got two tanks in the living room and one in the guest room, so I'm right behind ya.

i need more aquariums like you. right now ive got 3 geckos (1 gargoyle, 1 crested, 1 chahoua), 3 tarantula's and my friend is trying to get me to take in his hedgehog, i'm just not too keen on one at the moment (even though they're pretty cool). and that's just what's in my room.

i'm down to just my nuvo as far as tanks go though, i broke the 3g down two weeks ago. im thinking about starting a bonsai with the spare t5 i have laying around.

• Like 1

I have the 4g and the 10g on two different rooms. But I also have a 90g freshwater. Just scraping the algae every week and changing water every other week is a drag with a tank that big. I can't imagine the work it would take to maintain it as a saltwater tank. Well...actually I imagine it quite often. Some day :)

• Like 3
reefernanoman

I have the 4g and the 10g on two different rooms. But I also have a 90g freshwater. Just scraping the algae every week and changing water every other week is a drag with a tank that big. I can't imagine the work it would take to maintain it as a saltwater tank. Well...actually I imagine it quite often. Some day :)

I change the water on my 75G FW african peacock tank only like once every month, but my bioload is only 6 fish.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any suggestions on a new return pump? I'm running a leak test on mine right now and would like to upgrade the pump so I can keep a powerhead out of the display once I start cycling it.

Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Allright thanks! this will be a good thing! Who would pass up such a nice AIO for $100.

Or $199 for the premium starter kit on marinedepot.com that comes with lighting

• Like 2

Or $199 for the premium starter kit on marinedepot.com that comes with lighting

ehh, for $100 id rather have a par30/38 bulb over mine but everyone's got their own opinions with lights. to me i wouldn't feel comfortable with anything but softies/mushrooms/zoa's in there with the stock light of the premium kit.

• Like 2
reefernanoman

ehh, for $100 id rather have a par30/38 bulb over mine but everyone's got their own opinions with lights. to me i wouldn't feel comfortable with anything but softies/mushrooms/zoa's in there with the stock light of the premium kit.

I would have to agree. My PAR 38 has been able to grow all my SPS ( the easy ones), lps mushrooms and zoos with no issues. Even the BTA that I had briefly in there did well.

• Like 1

Made an account just to get in on this thread, I've got 2 coming in next tuesday, One for each side of my Fusion 20g I got for christmas. Will start a build(s) thread when they come in.

• Like 3
Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
That is so true but I am going to fill this tank full of zoas

I will get a kessil in the future

I will get a kessil in the future

I mainly keep Zoanthids as well, but I run a Nano-Box for my SPS/LPS.

I have 8 different Zoanthid/Paly morphs so far :P

• Like 2
reefernanoman
Made an account just to get in on this thread, I've got 2 coming in next tuesday, One for each side of my Fusion 20g I got for christmas. Will start a build(s) thread when they come in.

Nice! Welcome to the club!

I received a new IM Fusion 10 as a Christmas gift so I will be jumping back into the hobby after a 15 year absence(I was more a fish keeper with some inverts back then). Wow! How things have changed! I have decided to taka a total noob approach to things since bio balls, diatom filters and T12 lighting appear to be a thing of the past.

I am considering the purchase of "The Nano-Reef Handbook" to brush up on things along with lots of reading here on the nano-reef.com. Can anyone offer an opinion on the book? Is it worth the $12?

So far I have decided on the following equipment:

• Cobalt Neo-Therm 50w heater
  • Nanobox Mini Tide light with the Storm controller for lighting
  • Intank Nuvo media basket
  • IM Spin Stream nozzle

I would also like to add another internal powerhead with wave controller for flow. I have not selected anything yet. Suggestions welcome.

I am also on the fence with regard to a skimmer. My reading so far seems to suggest that a 10% - 15% weekly water change should allow me to operate without the skimmer. Suggestions and comments are welcome on this issue for sure.

Please excuse any dumb questions as I start from scratch and learn how things work.

• Like 1

I received a new IM Fusion 10 as a Christmas gift so I will be jumping back into the hobby after a 15 year absence(I was more a fish keeper with some inverts back then). Wow! How things have changed! I have decided to taka a total noob approach to things since bio balls, diatom filters and T12 lighting appear to be a thing of the past.

I am considering the purchase of "The Nano-Reef Handbook" to brush up on things along with lots of reading here on the nano-reef.com. Can anyone offer an opinion on the book? Is it worth the $12?

• IM Spin Stream nozzle

I would also like to add another internal powerhead with wave controller for flow. I have not selected anything yet. Suggestions welcome.

I am also on the fence with regard to a skimmer. My reading so far seems to suggest that a 10% - 15% weekly water change should allow me to operate without the skimmer. Suggestions and comments are welcome on this issue for sure.

Please excuse any dumb questions as I start from scratch and learn how things work.

everyone's bioload is different so unless you test you'll never know for sure. weekly water changes of 10-15% should be good enough, and unless you have fish in here a protein skimmer can be overkill. as far as circulation pumps go with wave makers, the only two worth mentioning on this scale would be the wp-10 or the mp-10 (they vary in price drastically, but both will do their intended job).

one piece of equipment worth getting is an auto top off. also if you are getting a wavemaker, the spin stream nozzle isn't really necessary, but i don't see how it could hurt either.

• Like 1

• IM Spin Stream nozzle

Like kylhcky said, the spin stream is useless if you're going to get an internal wave maker. I would go with Jebao WP-10, super cheap and they rock. I have one in my IM Fusion 10, and I've had multiple Ecotech MP-10s. They do the same exact thing but the Jebao is $150 cheaper.

Skimming in a 10 gallon can be overkill. If you plan on keeping 3 fish and feeding heavy then sure. Or if you plan on keeping mainly SPS then sure, you want a super clean and nutrient free system. But if you plan on doing a mixed reef with normal feeding, then I would skip the skimmer and maybe pick up the reactor. I have the reactor and it's awesome. Carbon keeps my water crystal clear. I do 2 gallon water changes weekly and I'm doing great! 0 nitrates and phosphates.

Definitely definitely definitely pick up a ATO. I highly recommend the Tunze Nano ATO system. This makes life 1000 times easier, and is seriously the most important thing I own in my opinion for reefing. Small evaporations can lead to salinity fluctuations, and the ATO is super accurate and in my experience safe.

I love the Nano-Box so good choice there.

Good luck!

• Like 3

Thanks kylhcky &begow for the input!

What are you running in your media basket? Begow, it sounds like your are running carbon in your reactor?

Also, how does the RW-4 compare to the WP-10?

Thanks again for the help!

Happy New Year, my fellow IM10 reefers! Just out of the blue, has anyone ever tried running a freshwater sump/reservoir, complete with aquatic plants/animals and all?! I bring this up because for those of us who use reservoirs, many are already freshwater. So I am just wondering if any of you has taken it to another level by doing something similar?

In a nutshell, reef tank with freshwater tank as ATO reservoir.

reefernanoman

Hi happy New Year, my fellow IM10 reefers! Just out of the blue, has anyone ever tried running a freshwater sump/reservoir, complete with aquatic plants/animals and all?! I bring this up because for those of us who use reservoirs, many are already freshwater. So I am just wondering if any of you has taken it to another level by doing something similar?

In a nutshell, reef tank with freshwater tank as ATO reservoir.

I think that it wouldn't be a good idea, since the FW would introduce nitrates and other undesired stuff no?

• Like 1

phosphates are an issue. plus when you add the freshwater to the salt, you could potentially have a good amount of organic die off from the freshwater bacteria. just keep it to fresh ro/di with mineral supplementation at the most.

i have been wanting to start a little freshwater shrimp tank lately though, this way i can ditch the frozen food and just start feeding a live shrimp or two to my coral when the population starts to get crowded.

• Like 1

I am trying to decide on the best ato system for my IM Fusion 10 tank. I have seriously considered the AutoAqua Smart ato. It seems like a good system, seems reasonably priced and it includes everything required to do the job. I also like the fail safes that are built into the system. I know that there are many fans of this system here on the forum. I have aslo looked at the JBJ controller but it looks like i would still have to add the the float swicth and pump to the system. The Hydor system uses an electronic switch instead of the float switch and it looks like i would still need to add a pump.

I have read countless posts on the forum trying to figure this out. This will be my very first ato system ever so I am very lost in figuring out what will work best for my fusion 10 tank and also the best place to mount it. I know that several of the forum members have experience with several of the different ato systems and I am hoping that some will offer up some comments.

Any help, suggestion or comments would be very, very appreciated!

• Like 1

I am trying to decide on the best ato system for my IM Fusion 10 tank. I have seriously considered the AutoAqua Smart ato. It seems like a good system, seems reasonably priced and it includes everything required to do the job. I also like the fail safes that are built into the system. I know that there are many fans of this system here on the forum. I have aslo looked at the JBJ controller but it looks like i would still have to add the the float swicth and pump to the system. The Hydor system uses an electronic switch instead of the float switch and it looks like i would still need to add a pump.I have read countless posts on the forum trying to figure this out. This will be my very first ato system ever so I am very lost in figuring out what will work best for my fusion 10 tank and also the best place to mount it. I know that several of the forum members have experience with several of the different ato systems and I am hoping that some will offer up some comments.Any help, suggestion or comments would be very, very appreciated!

ive had the smart ato running for 8 months or so. sometimes it doesnt like to keep the correct water level, but thats your indicater to clean the lens and just reset the sensor and you're back to normal. i did have one instance of the pump sticking on, but luckily i was there to catch it before it overflowed (again lens was dirty).

id reccomend it after getting it and using it, but i see how a lot of people have trouble justifying it's pricetag

best placement for any ato sensor is 3rd chamber where the return pump is, this is also where you want to add your top off water line.

• Like 2