Top Shelf Aquatics

Innovative Marine Fusion 10 Club

obeythefro

CinnamonTorch

IMG_3120.thumb.JPG.ffc7cd66a7c4e071ba7bad6824da76ae.JPG

Hey everyone! Hope you guys are doing well, just wanted to share my GHL Dosing pump. Quick and easy setup! If you haven't picked up a Doser yet, look into it as Black Friday is approaching quickly! 1f642.png🙂 Enjoy! - @CinnamonTorch on Instagram

• Like 5
1 hour ago, CinnamonTorch said:

Hey everyone! Hope you guys are doing well, just wanted to share my GHL Dosing pump. Quick and easy setup! If you haven't picked up a Doser yet, look into it as Black Friday is approaching quickly! 1f642.png🙂 Enjoy! - @CinnamonTorch on Instagram

When are you starting a tank journal?!!

• Like 4
5 hours ago, CinnamonTorch said:

What an attractive-looking lid!  Mind sharing where it came from?

• Like 1
CinnamonTorch
On 11/13/2018 at 9:27 PM, Cannedfish said:

When are you starting a tank journal?!!

I need to get on that ASAP.. but its going to take me forever 😭 i see you Blen Reef🙏🏼♥️

On 11/14/2018 at 1:21 AM, Lula_Mae said:

What an attractive-looking lid!  Mind sharing where it came from?

You could go on instagram and search TopLids 🙂 they are the ones who made it for me! Ask for Cinnamontorch’s lid 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
CrushtheTurtle

hey all - just started a nuvo 10. got a sicce 1.0, does anyone know what type of tubing to use to connect to the elbow which seems a bit smaller?

also i'm using the 1.0 with a spinstream, anyone have recs on how much to dialback the pump if its too strong?

sidenote..really hoping the spinstream clicking noise goes away on its own if not might have to try the RFG.

1 hour ago, CrushtheTurtle said:

hey all - just started a nuvo 10. got a sicce 1.0, does anyone know what type of tubing to use to connect to the elbow which seems a bit smaller?

also i'm using the 1.0 with a spinstream, anyone have recs on how much to dialback the pump if its too strong?

sidenote..really hoping the spinstream clicking noise goes away on its own if not might have to try the RFG.

Use 1/2 inch tubing. Also if the spin streams are clicking you can take them apart and make sure the little rod is seated correctly. Be careful when you put the spin stream together so that the rod doesn’t fall out it’s groove again. 

SURVEYMAN46123
12 hours ago, CrushtheTurtle said:

I used stock IM tubing on my Sicce pump.    

As for dialing back, there is a dial on the pump to increase or decrease the flow.

CrushtheTurtle
6 hours ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

I used stock IM tubing on my Sicce pump.    

As for dialing back, there is a dial on the pump to increase or decrease the flow.

18 hours ago, LogicalReefs said:

Use 1/2 inch tubing. Also if the spin streams are clicking you can take them apart and make sure the little rod is seated correctly. Be careful when you put the spin stream together so that the rod doesn’t fall out it’s groove again. 

Looks like your using the .5, does that have a smaller output nozzle than the 1.0?

@logicalreefs  thanks, ordered some .5ID tubing, took the spinstream apart - it seems like the clicking happens when the rods shift cause there is extra space where they sit and when the gears turn to a certain point it moves it. it does seem a little quieter after taking it apart though.

SURVEYMAN46123
Just now, CrushtheTurtle said:

Looks like your using the .5, does that have a smaller output nozzle than the 1.0?

Do not believe so.   

My pump came with two different size output nozzles from the pump to hose that screw into the top of the pump.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:57 AM, CinnamonTorch said:

Nice tank! love it!

• Like 1
Tuan’s Reef

Day 10 of cycling on my new nuvo 10.

Bringing my clownfish out of hyposalinity and into this tank in a week.

got an amazing deal on this 7.5 pound Caribsea reef rock with lots of caverns and overhangs 

5B7C29EE-F24C-45DC-B8B6-B7D88538584F.jpeg

85D63E43-1FD0-4188-97B0-202204DE65D3.jpeg

BE6A05A9-91FF-466C-AFBD-45701FF40DCF.jpeg

• Like 1

Does anyone use the bottom return pump chamber space for anything? I'm feeling like I might not have enough denitrifying processes going on in my rock and was wondering if I could put a bag of seachem matrix down there or if it would just catch a bunch of waste and debris and add to the problem.

On 11/29/2018 at 2:44 PM, lizzyann said:

Does anyone use the bottom return pump chamber space for anything? I'm feeling like I might not have enough denitrifying processes going on in my rock and was wondering if I could put a bag of seachem matrix down there or if it would just catch a bunch of waste and debris and add to the problem.

I added a bag of seachem matrix to mine.  I went from 10-20ppm nitrates to 0-5ppm nitrates after about 2 weeks of having it.  I also added microbacter7 for a week to seed it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/29/2018 at 2:44 PM, lizzyann said:

Matrix claims to lower nitrates, but I don't believe it really does. I mean anywhere with a anaerobic environment can, but I wouldnt count on it. I use it for nitrification in my freshwater. 

But what are your nitrates? Unless your specifically trying to run an ulns nitrates really don't matter Imo... Within reason. Plenty of awesome tanks out there with nitrates as high as 50ppm. Though I wouldn't go that high personally. 

Anyway, I wouldn't use matrix in the back chamber, it's just another place for crap to collect. If you really want/need to lower nitrates there's better options. 

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, MrObscura said:

Matrix claims to lower nitrates, but I don't believe it really does. I mean anywhere with a anaerobic environment can, but I wouldnt count on it. I use it for nitrification in my freshwater. 

But what are your nitrates? Unless your specifically trying to run an ulns nitrates really don't matter Imo... Within reason. Plenty of awesome tanks out there with nitrates as high as 50ppm. Though I wouldn't go that high personally. 

Anyway, I wouldn't use matrix in the back chamber, it's just another place for crap to collect. If you really want/need to lower nitrates there's better options. 

Good to know. I'm probably overly worried about it. High phosphates are probably more of a problem that the nitrates really, and if my understanding is correct, more rock material isn't going to help that. Nitrates have gone between 5 and 15, and phosphates anywhere from .05 to .28 in the last month or two. Maybe not totally ridiculous but I felt like it just wasn't making sense in my tank with light to medium feeding and only one fish. I use filter floss, chemipure blue in my basket and have a skimmer. Lots of algae growth too, until I recently got an emerald crab. Pretty sure PO4 has been higher since the crab has been eating all the algae. NO3 and PO4 have also just gone up and down a lot, though maybe it correlates to my water changes and feeding and such. I have no idea how much is a normal amount to fluctuate within a week. Another thought I had was that maybe I just need to do the random heavier feedings more consistently/often so the bacteria populations stay high enough to deal with it all the time. Right now I spot feed frozen mysis to my sun coral and fish every other day, then a little pellet or flake directly to the fish and crabs on off days, and a powder food for everything every week or two. Yesterday I did a "heavy" feeding, with maybe 1/4 tsp powdered food and half a cube of mysis, then immediately after did a water change and switched out filter floss, and today my PO4 is .15 and nitrates are 2.5. If nitrates start to go down but phosphates stay high I might just have a rock leaching problem and need to do GFO or some macroalgae or something. 

I recently learned about brightwell xport blocks... would this be one of the better options you speak of? I'm guessing they would be much less likely to trap detritus buildup in that bottom chamber compared to the matrix and probably have more anaerobic activity. I could probably break them up just small enough to slide down there.

I guess I'll just wait and see for now, be consistent, and do a lot of testing. Really my corals seem fairly healthy so no need to fret.

Your nitrates aren't something I'd worry about, and naturally no3 and no4 should exist in a balanced ratio of 16:1(or something like that). If the ratio is off its do to something introducing extra po4, such as food or rocks leaching. 

I like to keep things simple so I just run chemipure blue and do weekly water changes on my nuvo 10. Nitrate is around 10 and p04 is low but I'm not sure what exactly since I'm terrible with the color charts. Lol

Here's a really interesting article listing the parameters of some of the most well known and successful refers in the industry/hobby. 

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/tank-parameters-of-some-masters.263/

• Thanks 1
CrushtheTurtle

anyone have experience with VCA RFG on the nuvo 10? I ordered the 16mm adapter - per BRS site recommendation - but it seems to be too small. perhaps i need the 19mm? not sure if thats too big though

CrushtheTurtle
1 hour ago, DemonUnleashed said:

I have the vca rfg with the 16mm adapter on a nuvo 10 and it fits. Was really snug the first time putting it on. Now it fits nicely. 

wow strange. there is no way the 16mm adapter is fitting on there, the holes are roughly the same size..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2015 at 8:01 PM, kwsjimmy said:

Have you tried raising the water level in chamber 3. Might be the waterfall effect and the pump drawing in micro bubbles. I run my water level a little above the seperator line, I run the ghost skimmer in chamber 2 and battled a micro bible issue front he skimmer that went away when I turned it around and opened the vent a bit more for more bubbles.

The water level in the 3rd chamber for my tank is extremely low. I’m worrie dcause I have no idea how to fix it. The return pump is exposed to air a lot 

On 2/19/2015 at 11:54 PM, teenyreef said:

I have seen microbubbles when I've had the water too low in chamber 3. I try to keep mine set so the the water is 1/2" to 1" below the top of the divider between chamber 2 and chamber 3. I'm pretty sure that's what they say to shoot for in the manual, too.

How do I raise the level in chamber 3? I have no idea and the bubbles are showing up with the return pump being exposed to air 

7 hours ago, Shakeb1000 said:

How do I raise the level in chamber 3? I have no idea and the bubbles are showing up with the return pump being exposed to air 

You add more water to the tank... 

• Haha 1