Pod Your Reef

Innovative Marine Fusion 10 Club

obeythefro

i have a Whisper 20 on my reef glass.  it's  definitely over powered and slightly too loud for my liking.  

does anyone have any tips or pointers on how to get the best skim from this?  if you've had the skimmer for a long time what have you learned?

i get very light green skimmate from this and always wonder if i could be getting better/darker

ive messed with the height, the air valve, different air stones, and i always just get a very light green, slightly smelly skimmate.

CinnamonTorch
12 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

i have a Whisper 20 on my reef glass.  it's  definitely over powered and slightly too loud for my liking.  

does anyone have any tips or pointers on how to get the best skim from this?  if you've had the skimmer for a long time what have you learned?

i get very light green skimmate from this and always wonder if i could be getting better/darker

ive messed with the height, the air valve, different air stones, and i always just get a very light green, slightly smelly skimmate.

Hey friend, i’ve been using my reef glass for a very long time. I’m using a Marina 100 air pump (abit noisy if not properly seated, but i’ve wrapped mine in a towel and put it in my drawer! The one thing you’ll want to do is get an ato so water level can be consistent at all times. Next you’ll want to adjust the skimmer body so it can 3 inches above the water line (measure it)... this will give you a slighty darker skim, however keep in mind that the reef glass is not your typical skimmer with collection cup, most of the collection is made in itself (the glass tube) and that is where a lot of the gunk remains... so yes we do get skim, that isnt the only indicator that its doing its job well! Hope this helps... for airtones i’m simply using a 2 inch lee’s air stone! Goodluck with it!

On 2/10/2018 at 10:54 AM, Kosta Fusion 10 Gallon said:

Welcome! The sponges do a good job of clearing the water.. however they dont actually remove phosphates.. alot of people (like me) swear by chemipure elite in the second compartment and purigen in the last compartment, with filter floss in the first comp.

as for your pump, i think its safe to say that a vast majority of us are using a sicce 0.5 and its more perfect for our tanks. Also depends on what you want to keep. I have lps and some zoas. So what i had to do on my sicce 0.5 was cranck it down 2 notches because thats how powerul it is. It will be perfect for you in my opinion. I’d also suggest getting a proten skimmer such as the reef glass. Im rocking it right now and to be honest, its doing an excellent job, easy to maintain and very very silent. Thats one upgrade you’ll need to look into for sure! Goodluck with everything and dont be shy

Hi again - another question about the Chemi-Pure Elite.  I noticed the elite version does not come in the nano packs.  So how much of the elite version do you use and what are you using for a bag/container?  For the Purigen I am assuming you are using one of their 100ml bags.

Thanks in advance.

CinnamonTorch
10 hours ago, igrover said:

Hi again - another question about the Chemi-Pure Elite.  I noticed the elite version does not come in the nano packs.  So how much of the elite version do you use and what are you using for a bag/container?  For the Purigen I am assuming you are using one of their 100ml bags.

Thanks in advance.

Yes for the purigen i just use the whole bag. As for the chemi pure elite, i’m simply buying the small container, and i split it into 2 halves.. i put one half inside a nylon sock, tie 3 knots and make sure its all close up. The other half stays inside the container for the next month! Cheers

11 hours ago, Kosta Fusion 10 Gallon said:

Yes for the purigen i just use the whole bag. As for the chemi pure elite, i’m simply buying the small container, and i split it into 2 halves.. i put one half inside a nylon sock, tie 3 knots and make sure its all close up. The other half stays inside the container for the next month! Cheers

Hi again and thanks for the info and sorry for all the noob questions.

So I purchased the mini 3.1 oz.  version of the Chemi-Pure Elite - the container says it treats up to 10 gallons.  Is this the same size you split into two halves to use?  Also, I read somewhere that the Chemi-Pure is good for 3-4 months however you appear to indicate you change yours out every month.

CinnamonTorch
50 minutes ago, igrover said:

Hi again and thanks for the info and sorry for all the noob questions.

So I purchased the mini 3.1 oz.  version of the Chemi-Pure Elite - the container says it treats up to 10 gallons.  Is this the same size you split into two halves to use?  Also, I read somewhere that the Chemi-Pure is good for 3-4 months however you appear to indicate you change yours out every month.

if it says it treats 10 gallons, put the whole baggy inside! I just like to buy the one that treats 25 gallons, so when I split it in half, it actually treats 12.5 gallons (I just feel like I get a greater effect).

I like to change mine roughly once a month because I like my media to be as efficient and effective as possible.. you can go 2 months with the same bag of chemicals pure, but I wouldn't recommend it, towards the end, the effects are less and less effective.

goodluck

Gave up on the sicce syncra 1 after 4 months and switched to a unrestricted .5. Also got tired of trying to figure out the ghost skimmer so a new reef glass skimmer is breaking in. Both were tough decisions to make cause I’m a pretty stubborn person but the hassle in managing so much flow and the micro bubble machine just wasn’t worth it to me.

CinnamonTorch
11 hours ago, smiley28 said:

Gave up on the sicce syncra 1 after 4 months and switched to a unrestricted .5. Also got tired of trying to figure out the ghost skimmer so a new reef glass skimmer is breaking in. Both were tough decisions to make cause I’m a pretty stubborn person but the hassle in managing so much flow and the micro bubble machine just wasn’t worth it to me.

Agreed, that's why most of us here recommend the 0.5! its a great pump. I actually find it to be too strong so I've cranked it down like 2 or 3 notches.. seems to be better now! I went with the reef glass because it barely took up any space in the back and its simple to use and simple to maintain (tip: reef glass works very well when water level is consistent.. I recommend getting an ato if you dont already have one! im rocking the smart ato micro and I absolutely love it.)

Goodluck! If you'd like to take a look at my tank on instagram my I.G is CinnamonTorch_Crunch :) 

I have the tunze nano but I’ve considered also switching to the smart ato and giving it a shot. My first tunze nano lasted 3yrs but this new one has overfilled twice so I restricted the flow. With the reef glass my only issue so far was that I don’t like reading instructions. If you do read them it clearly states to make a second hole for air output in the skimmate collector. I was checking my air pump, lines, making sure the stopper was good, and checking the airstone. I don’t think I’ve felt so comfortable with the setup until now.

CinnamonTorch
On 2018-02-17 at 5:00 PM, igrover said:

Question for those of you running an AI Prime HD light:  how high above the water do you have your light?

I have mine pretty high since i have corals in the midsection of my tank.. mine rests at 11 inches above the water line.. i know other people have it at 9 inches away from water line.. really depends on what you plan on keeing i guess..

mnpackerbacker
On 1/13/2018 at 1:08 AM, CrazyEyes said:

Following. 

Standard OTA's are too much for these tanks. I use a valve from autotopoff.com, in the 3rd chamber with the pump, and a Tom Aquarium Aqualifter 20 for a pump. works GREAT. I have a 1 gallon jug of RO in the cabinet under the tank and I use 1/4" OD vinyl tubing from home depot  to pull the water, because it does not kink. (same vinyl for most ice / water dispensers in home refrigerators). Keep a spare aqualifter on hand, as they do tend to start fading after 12-18 months, but they are inexpensive,

Have had my IM 10 up and running for about 6 months now.  Have a nice mixed reef going with SPS and LPS.  One clown and a coral banded shrimp. Parameters stable.

Looking to utilize my 2nd chamber for either a refugium or protein skimmer.  Is it worth it?  Or will they be too small to make a difference? 

I feel I have a pretty stable set-up right now with weekly 2.5 gallon water changes and dosing with polyp lab one, but as you all know, new additions are fun! 

I was thinking the IM ghost desktop skimmer if I go that route.  If I do a refugium, I was thinking the ChaetoMax light.

SURVEYMAN46123

I ran a chateo reactor on mine and used the second chamber to hold the pump.   Ultimately I removed it from my tank as it made it too "clean" for my lps.   I've seen people using the reef glass skimmer in the second chamber as well as the Eshopps Nano Skimmer.    Personally I don't think nano's need them if you are doing weekly waterchanges, but new equipment is always fun. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello fellow reefers! I'm picking up a 10 this weekend and am also pre-planning my equipment purchases.

Question: has anyone ever run the Aqua Gadget Skimmer AND the reactor together? I've been told by Innovative Marine that they will not both fit in the back chamber together. 

Any input / recommendations / experience is greatly appreciated :) 

Thank you,

Sting

CinnamonTorch
2 hours ago, Stingd21 said:

Hello fellow reefers! I'm picking up a 10 this weekend and am also pre-planning my equipment purchases.

Question: has anyone ever run the Aqua Gadget Skimmer AND the reactor together? I've been told by Innovative Marine that they will not both fit in the back chamber together. 

Thank you,

Sting

Hello! That is true, you cannot use both. I highly suggest you dont get any of those. I was tempted to buy the protein skimmer they sell, however i have heard bad things about it, microbubbles are a disaster and skimming isnt that good. I’m currently running a Reef Glass protein skimmer and so do alot of people who own nuvo 10 or 20. Its an excellent skimmer and does a great job. Also very easy to use, and very compact.. has a small footprint. So if you want, you can get the media reactor and use the reef glass protein skimmer. I personally hate the media reactor. Very poor design, difficult to adjust, and causes alot of microbubbles in the display. I took it out and simply run carbon and rowaphos in my media basket (WHICH I HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU BUY INSTEAD OF THE FILTER SOCK)

goodluck!

SURVEYMAN46123
On 3/8/2018 at 2:55 PM, Stingd21 said:

Thank you,

Sting

Depending on what you want to keep, I wouldn't suggest either one.   Unless you want to do bi-weekly water changes.   I do weekly 2 gallon water changes and don't have the need for a skimmer or reactor.   However if you want to keep it as an SPS dominant tank, you might consider one or the other.

On 3/8/2018 at 2:07 PM, Kosta Fusion 10 Gallon said:

Hello! That is true, you cannot use both. I highly suggest you dont get any of those. I was tempted to buy the protein skimmer they sell, however i have heard bad things about it, microbubbles are a disaster and skimming isnt that good. I’m currently running a Reef Glass protein skimmer and so do alot of people who own nuvo 10 or 20. Its an excellent skimmer and does a great job. Also very easy to use, and very compact.. has a small footprint. So if you want, you can get the media reactor and use the reef glass protein skimmer. I personally hate the media reactor. Very poor design, difficult to adjust, and causes alot of microbubbles in the display. I took it out and simply run carbon and rowaphos in my media basket (WHICH I HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU BUY INSTEAD OF THE FILTER SOCK)

goodluck!

On 3/12/2018 at 9:32 AM, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Depending on what you want to keep, I wouldn't suggest either one.   Unless you want to do bi-weekly water changes.   I do weekly 2 gallon water changes and don't have the need for a skimmer or reactor.   However if you want to keep it as an SPS dominant tank, you might consider one or the other.

Awesome, thank you for the input - greatly appreciated! :) 

I have read on a few forums that upgrading the stock pump does wonders for this tank. I'm considering a Sicce Syncra Silent 0.5 (185gph), but I am wondering if I should one-up that as well to a Sicce Syncra Silent 1.0 (251gph) - do you think this would be too much flow? I could get the 1.0 and turn the flow rate down substantially.  I'm also planning on running an Aqua Gadget Spin Stream Nozzel. 

Any input/help is greatly appreciated :) 

Sting

Angry-Monkey

I've been using a y splitter on my return valve with the sicce 0.5. wish I had got the 1.0 as I feel like I could use a little more flow. The splitter and flare nozzle decrease the flow substantially. 

10 minutes ago, Angry-Monkey said:

I've been using a y splitter on my return valve with the sicce 0.5. wish I had got the 1.0 as I feel like I could use a little more flow. The splitter and flare nozzle decrease the flow substantially. 

Where does the other line from the Y go to? Did you drill another output hole somewhere?

8 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Anyone tryout the IM MightyJet?

+1 - I am Interested as well. 

SURVEYMAN46123
1 hour ago, Stingd21 said:

I have read on a few forums that upgrading the stock pump does wonders for this tank. I'm considering a Sicce Syncra Silent 0.5 (185gph), but I am wondering if I should one-up that as well to a Sicce Syncra Silent 1.0 (251gph) - do you think this would be too much flow? I could get the 1.0 and turn the flow rate down substantially.  I'm also planning on running an Aqua Gadget Spin Stream Nozzel. 

Any input/help is greatly appreciated :) 

Sting

I have used a Sicce .5 and Spinstream for a year now.   Plenty of flow for my tank, but its a sofie/lps tank.