Cultivated Reef

Innovative Marine Fusion 10 Club

obeythefro

CinnamonTorch

Hey everybody! to anyone who is on Instagram, be sure to follow me at @CinnamonTorch_Crunch ! You can see my whole setup there and ask me any questions you may have about our tanks!! thanks for the support and happy reefing to everyone :) 

8 minutes ago, Kosta Fusion 10 Gallon said:

Hey everybody! to anyone who is on Instagram, be sure to follow me at @CinnamonTorch_Crunch ! You can see my whole setup there and ask me any questions you may have about our tanks!! thanks for the support and happy reefing to everyone :) 

Following. 

• Like 1
On 1/9/2018 at 6:00 PM, CrazyEyes said:

Is anyone who is running the micro ato on a 10g having to run a small ball valve on the ato line to restrict It? I feel like it dumps too much in at one time before shutting off. 

I don't run a valve and have had no issues. It does pump over the sensor line by about 1/4 of inch maybe less. 

The screen cover that ships with the tank. Use it? Don't use it? When the screen is off I get a much different look in the aquarium. I get a much more diffuse lighting. The light is a  Nanobox Mini Tide.  Wondering if there any differences with the screen on  or off. 

On 1/13/2018 at 8:47 AM, Tuffryu said:

I don't run a valve and have had no issues. It does pump over the sensor line by about 1/4 of inch maybe less. 

I agree. Just make sure no bubbles and the sensors are clean. 

Russell's Reef_721
22 hours ago, michaelbog said:

The screen cover that ships with the tank. Use it? Don't use it? When the screen is off I get a much different look in the aquarium. I get a much more diffuse lighting. The light is a  Nanobox Mini Tide.  Wondering if there any differences with the screen on  or off. 

Screen off offers better light penetration, but at the cost of possible jumpers.

22 hours ago, michaelbog said:

i hate the stock mesh top 

i ended up getting the Artfully Acryllic top for mine.  SO much better 

Russell's Reef_721
11 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

I don't hate mine, but it is a bit too small.

How much did the Artfully Acrylic one run you?

hundred bucks...<_<

but i like it much better and have to have a lid on my tank.  i wish i didn't need one though, the IM10 looks so sexy without a lid.

• Wow 1
Russell's Reef_721
On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:08 PM, gone_PHiSHin said:

hundred bucks...<_<

but i like it much better and have to have a lid on my tank.  i wish i didn't need one though, the IM10 looks so sexy without a lid.

Just looked it up and it does look really nice. 100 is pretty steep though for acrylic lol

Hello all, new here. I just ordered myself a IM Nuvo 10 after creeping these forums. I had a 75g tank with 20g refugium but after my move into new house almost everything died. I was close to just giving up but instead I think I will just move to a couple smaller tanks. Some snails, crabs, and a few Zoas are the only thing still left in my old tanks. I used to have a bio cube years ago and also a regular 10g tank with modded aqua clear 30 hob. Both of which great but I kept going bigger. Even though bigger is supposed to be easier I always had easier time with smaller.  I am planning on IM 10 for my bedroom and later maybe a 20g for living room display. 

CinnamonTorch

hello everybody, as of lately, my torch garden seems to be "upset" they dont really extend like they used to, and my parameters are the same if not much better because I have lowered my nitrates. so here it is:

temp = 79-80 degrees

Ammonia = 0
nitrite = 0 
nitrate = 5ppm
Phosphate = 0.08 (yes pretty high, this could be a reason however I just started running RowaPhos in my reactor, should drop soon)
calcium = 420
alk = 9.5

so to give a bit more details as to what I did actually change was my lighting. from day one I was running my ai prime at around 17 or 18 watts of power, now I went up to 23-24 watts of power... I did greatly increase the intensity, but I also have it on acclimation mode.

My question is, could too much strong intensity light "hurt" corals? I know they can obviously bleach, however my coral have perfect coloration, they simply won't extend very long like they used to.. is it due to too much light? could it have that effect on them?

Thanks again, happy reefing 

too much lighting absolutely could cause your euphyllia to retract.   torch, hammer, frogspawn all will not extend as far in more intense lighting until they become used to it.  if too intense, over time the coral can fade in color as well.

you have to increase lighting very slowly over a period of months to give the coral time to adjust.

i'm willing to bet it was your lighting increase that caused this, but as a side note, euphyllia do tend to like a little higher nutrient water.  so, if you dropped your nitrates down very quickly, they could have reacted to that as well as the light.  

your phosphate is a little high, and is similar to nitrates in that corals need some available for best coloration, so don't aim for 0 on either.  if you are going to work on lowering phosphate with something like GFO, do it very gradually.  stripping nitrates and phosphates too quickly can really piss off your tank.  i learned this the hard way!

• Like 1
On 1/16/2018 at 11:59 PM, gone_PHiSHin said:

Hi,

I went to the site - did you get custom cut outs or standard lid.  I am fairly new too but thought the lid was pretty cool and liked the feeding door.  Can you post a pic and share dimensions used.   I think the mesh lid messes with the light too. 

i just purchased the standard IM10 lid.  no feed door, no cut outs.  i didn't even give them dimensions

i don't like the feed doors for tanks this small.  if i had a 40 or something i would be less inclined to take the lid on and off.  i take the lid off for feeding my corals, then put it back on while i let them eat, before turning the pumps back on.  for my fish, who eat pellets mostly, i just drop a pinch through the mesh, no need to remove the lid.  

the stock lid definitely blocks too much light.  it also separates the LED spectrums more than the Artfully Acrylic, meaning you can see the individual colors of the LEDs more.

CinnamonTorch
8 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

too much lighting absolutely could cause your euphyllia to retract.   torch, hammer, frogspawn all will not extend as far in more intense lighting until they become used to it.  if too intense, over time the coral can fade in color as well.

you have to increase lighting very slowly over a period of months to give the coral time to adjust.

i'm willing to bet it was your lighting increase that caused this, but as a side note, euphyllia do tend to like a little higher nutrient water.  so, if you dropped your nitrates down very quickly, they could have reacted to that as well as the light.  

your phosphate is a little high, and is similar to nitrates in that corals need some available for best coloration, so don't aim for 0 on either.  if you are going to work on lowering phosphate with something like GFO, do it very gradually.  stripping nitrates and phosphates too quickly can really piss off your tank.  i learned this the hard way!

Thanks for your input!

my nitrates were brought down to 5ppm pretty slowly, and yes, I know my phosphates are high, not sure why they got there.. but I started running RowaPhos so hopefully they go down.. while it may be good to have some phosphates, I still think its too high right now, im aiming for 0.01 or 0.02 around there..

I'm glad that it could possibly be my light intensity, I have dropped it greatly and started the acclimation period over again! hopefully now I can see in the next couple of days if my torches start to puff up like they used to. colour has remained the same, no fading or anything of that nature, perhaps it was too high, but not high enough to the point where it caused them to bleach!

Thanks again for your help!

11 hours ago, Ikikimo said:

Anyone know off hand the actual volume of water this tank holds?

If anyone is curious, it’s 7.5 gallons on the dot.

I guess I can join the club. I’ve got a Lagoon 25 and picked this up as a QT/Hospital tank.

BBFF20C0-CF2D-4EEF-B410-F702D7389496.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Hey guys here is my IM nuvo 10

Read through all 88 pages and thought some of the progression was pretty interesting. By the way my tanks been up since late September so is about 4mo in.

oh thought I’d add some info: I got the RFG as soon as I picked up the tank pretty much so had it running with a sicce 1.0 from almost day one. With that said I didn’t really feel the need for a powerhead until I got a deal on an aqamai which is interesting to say the least. I did take the time to compare it to an mp10 and will say the mp10 doesn’t seem to take up as much space and the absence of a cord is nice. However, I wanted to point the flow wherever and tune it much lower then the mp10. My filter chamber has a intank basket with some spare discs and floss, then chemipure spheres, then finished off with brs carbon. I’m using the ghost protein skimmer which has been and probably always will be a pain in the neck?.. I don’t know.. For an auto top off I use a tunze nano. Ugh this is long I’ll just list the rest

Ai hydra 26hd

neo therm 50w

in the mail artfully acrylic lid

drop 0.2 from Santa Monica filtration

ill add as I remember 

CBCA54A3-0FEC-4E5B-B0FD-D5164FB12141.jpeg

• Like 1

Also I currently am trying to figure out how to plumb my brs reactor into my protein skimmer in order to raise ph with co2 absorbent.

also thought I’d add this is my less maintenance tank while in a nursing program.. ha less maintenance I will probably add some sps after moving some of the lps & zoas around but who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - new to the forum and just now setting up a Fusion 10.

A few questions:

1.  Ordered the media basket.  Why not use the 3 part IM filter media pack (mechanical sponge, carbon sponge, phosphate sponge) instead of floss, Chemi-Pure, Purigen?

2.  Want to order a new pump and am looking at the Sicce Syncra 0.5 and the 1.0 - thoughts on which model would be sufficient?

Thanks in advance.

CinnamonTorch
23 hours ago, igrover said:

Hi - new to the forum and just now setting up a Fusion 10.

A few questions:

1.  Ordered the media basket.  Why not use the 3 part IM filter media pack (mechanical sponge, carbon sponge, phosphate sponge) instead of floss, Chemi-Pure, Purigen?

2.  Want to order a new pump and am looking at the Sicce Syncra 0.5 and the 1.0 - thoughts on which model would be sufficient?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome! The sponges do a good job of clearing the water.. however they dont actually remove phosphates.. alot of people (like me) swear by chemipure elite in the second compartment and purigen in the last compartment, with filter floss in the first comp.

as for your pump, i think its safe to say that a vast majority of us are using a sicce 0.5 and its more perfect for our tanks. Also depends on what you want to keep. I have lps and some zoas. So what i had to do on my sicce 0.5 was cranck it down 2 notches because thats how powerul it is. It will be perfect for you in my opinion. I’d also suggest getting a proten skimmer such as the reef glass. Im rocking it right now and to be honest, its doing an excellent job, easy to maintain and very very silent. Thats one upgrade you’ll need to look into for sure! Goodluck with everything and dont be shy

2 hours ago, Kosta Fusion 10 Gallon said:

Welcome! The sponges do a good job of clearing the water.. however they dont actually remove phosphates.. alot of people (like me) swear by chemipure elite in the second compartment and purigen in the last compartment, with filter floss in the first comp.

as for your pump, i think its safe to say that a vast majority of us are using a sicce 0.5 and its more perfect for our tanks. Also depends on what you want to keep. I have lps and some zoas. So what i had to do on my sicce 0.5 was cranck it down 2 notches because thats how powerul it is. It will be perfect for you in my opinion. I’d also suggest getting a proten skimmer such as the reef glass. Im rocking it right now and to be honest, its doing an excellent job, easy to maintain and very very silent. Thats one upgrade you’ll need to look into for sure! Goodluck with everything and dont be shy

HI and thanks for the info.  The Reef Glass skimmer looks very good - what size air pump did you end up using?

CinnamonTorch
6 hours ago, igrover said:

HI and thanks for the info.  The Reef Glass skimmer looks very good - what size air pump did you end up using?

I used one abit smalled than the recommended size. Still gets the job done perfectly ;)! I believe mine was an aqueon!