Innovative Marine Aquariums

Innovative Marine Fusion 10 Club

obeythefro

8 hours ago, CrazyEyes said:

Might have to try that because I have the spinstream and I absolutely hate it. How tight is the 1.0 in there?

It fits well in that chamber, not much room left, but I haven't had any issues.

7 hours ago, Angry-Monkey said:

How high does your water level get with the 1.0? I've got the 0.5 cranked up to max and the water is just under the bottoms of the acrylic brackets. Wondering if return was much more you'd get salt creep up the brackets (which I've experienced a bit of).

It seems ro be right at about where you're saying and depending on what you run before it gets to the pump impacts the water level too. There is occasionally water that drips, but I'm always observing and wiping down the glass (always have and with all my tanks). 

Russell's Reef_721

I have the Tunze Silent 1073.008 return pump and it puts out 39.6-211GPH. I have it plumbed to a chaeto reactor before it goes to my return nozzle, so I have it cranked all the way up and it's got some pretty solid flow. Probably going to add a Hydor pico powerhead anyway to get the water near the bottom of the tank flowing in order to prevent dead zones and detritus buildup.

12 hours ago, funkskunk said:

Anyone running Hawaiian Black substrate? pro/cons?  Oh and here's my build thread -->  https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/385978-the-gobypistol-project-another-im-fusion-10-tank-build/   I'm gonna try to keep a pistol shrimp and goby pair eventually just collecting the gear right now. 

I believe I have read that it has a pretty large grain size and maybe traps detritus pretty badly?

Hey guys,

So I just bought this tank and currently cycling. I'm a total beginner so need your guy's help and feedback. My gear is below:

Nuvo 10 tank

Sicce 0.5

Kessil A80 light

Cobalt Neotherm 50 watt heater

Intank media basket, running floss and chemipure elite, and Matrix

I just added Dr. Tim's ammonia last night to about 4ppm, added Dr. Tims bateria and now playing the waiting game...

I used Caribsea Life Rock which looks pretty good and realistic, attaching pics here. The OCD in me is kinda buggin me right now since I'm not experienced with rock and coral aquascape and its even more challenging in a nano. Can you guys let me know if this current set up is fine and I'll be able to place corals and let them grow out in the future? I hope to make a beautiful nano like the tanks you guys have here and on YouTube. I also wanted a minimalist rockwork since space is very limited in this tank. Also is the Sicce 0.5 enough for this tank? It seems to have a good amount of flow and I only plan to keep LPS and Zoas so I don't think they need too strong of a flow, but let me know if you guys think its wise to add another wavemaker in this small of a tank.

Let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

IMG_1323.JPG

• Like 1

welcome to the club

in my opinion you could use a little more live rock.  or, at least break up that big rock on top to create a little more variety and different depth levels for corals to be placed on.  try creating some caves and holes for fish and other critters to hide

also make sure your aquascape is 100% stable and not going to tip over or move once you start working inside the tank more.  you certainly don't want a rock falling and hitting the glass.  i like to find a scape i like, then epoxy all of it down 

the sicce 0.5 is plenty of flow for this tank if you plan on keeping LPS and softies.  i have that pump in my IM10 with a couple SPS and it seems to be enough for me currently.

edit:  another afterthought, you might want to remove some of that sand.  i love a nice sand bed but you will probably have trouble keeping that clean down the road, especially as a newcomer to the hobby.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

welcome to the club

in my opinion you could use a little more live rock.  or, at least break up that big rock on top to create a little more variety and different depth levels for corals to be placed on.  try creating some caves and holes for fish and other critters to hide

also make sure your aquascape is 100% stable and not going to tip over or move once you start working inside the tank more.  you certainly don't want a rock falling and hitting the glass.  i like to find a scape i like, then epoxy all of it down 

the sicce 0.5 is plenty of flow for this tank if you plan on keeping LPS and softies.  i have that pump in my IM10 with a couple SPS and it seems to be enough for me currently.

edit:  another afterthought, you might want to remove some of that sand.  i love a nice sand bed but you will probably have trouble keeping that clean down the road, especially as a newcomer to the hobby.  

Aww man I'll have to rescape? ? I noticed all the corals in store came attached to rocks already so I figured after I finished adding corals and frags it will fill out the rocks. 

I wanted a deeper sand bed look and read about benefits but I can vacuum some out.

Do you or anyone here recommend a protein skimmer or a media reactor in this tank? I think I can only fit one or the other in the 2nd chamber. 

Thanks!

• Like 1
Russell's Reef_721
On 10/23/2017 at 2:25 AM, tommygun said:

Do you or anyone here recommend a protein skimmer or a media reactor in this tank? I think I can only fit one or the other in the 2nd chamber. 

I would find a smaller reactor that you can hang on the back and route to the return pump. (Pump>Reactor>Return Outlet).

After a reef tank hiatus of over a decade, I have decided to return - so much has changed!  I'm glad to see those fancy LED's have replaced those dastardly 250w MH's.  I plan to utilize the IM Fusion 10 gallon as my first tank back.  I'm a high school teacher and the tank will be in my classroom on the corner of my teachers desk.  The plan is for a very simple, quiet and energy efficient tank that I can utilize for a variety of tasks (ranging from helping a few students build good habits by taking care of the tank to providing the class with interesting critters to look at under our stereo microscope).  After stalking a lot of builds on here, I think I've settled on a preliminary equipment list.

IM Fusion 10 gallon tank

Kessil A80 Tuna Blue with gooseneck 

Sicce 0.5 return pump

InTank Media Basket upgrade

Cobalt Neo-Therm 50w heater

The A80 looks a little underpowered compared to what some people are using, but I plan on growing mostly softies, an LPS or two and Xenia/Green Star Polys.  Its quite a bit cheaper than something like a NanoBox Mini Tide and I don't think I would really need the extra power?  An inch or two of sand and ~10 pounds of MarcoRocks Dry Rock should do the trick. 

We run a summer school during the summer months and so the longest this tank would need to go unattended should be around a week.  With that in mind, an auto top off of some kind seems like a good idea.  Ideally I could run a tube up from under the desk - any ideas for a fail safe brand or type of ATO system?  My administrator was a little skeptical at first and so I would very much like to minimize any risk of spills or floods.

The main inhabitants will be as many cool/interesting inverts as I can jam in there - sexy shrimp, a hermit or two, snails and maybe a green mithrax crab?  Fish wise I would like to keep the tank simple so at most I'm thinking about an entertaining goby or blenny.

Anything stand out as a disaster in waiting?  

• Like 2

can anyone post pics of the Random Flow Generator for me?

it seems to stick out a little too far...

what else did you need to buy to make it fit/work? 

i originally wanted to use loc line and use a y splitter but this thing looks cool

• Like 1
Russell's Reef_721
On 10/25/2017 at 7:01 PM, Ryebreadiest said:

any ideas for a fail safe brand or type of ATO system?  My administrator was a little skeptical at first and so I would very much like to minimize any risk of spills or floods.

I'm using the Auto Aqua Smart Micro ATO and it's awesome! Yeah, it's $125, but it's one TINY sensor and the small pump has some pretty great head pressure (I have no issue with it pushing water through the full 5 or 6 feet of tubing).

Russell's Reef_721
On 11/2/2017 at 9:13 PM, gone_PHiSHin said:

can anyone post pics of the Random Flow Generator for me?

it seems to stick out a little too far...

what else did you need to buy to make it fit/work? 

i originally wanted to use loc line and use a y splitter but this thing looks cool

They should make one that fits on the Nuvo 10. The company is Vivid Creative Aquatics. From what it looks like on their site, Nuvo 10s will need the 16mm drop adapter to snap the RFG nozzle onto.

18 hours ago, Russell's Reef_721 said:

They should make one that fits on the Nuvo 10. The company is Vivid Creative Aquatics. From what it looks like on their site, Nuvo 10s will need the 16mm drop adapter to snap the RFG nozzle onto.

i understand this i just think with the adapter and the nozzle it will stick out like 4 inches or more it seems, which is much more than the stock return nozzle.   i have a coral that might be too close to it.  

i'm a big fan of not having any other powerheads in my display but i am looking at other options for more flow.  i just think the RFG will look kind of dumb in my display if it's as big as i think it is. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

i understand this i just think with the adapter and the nozzle it will stick out like 4 inches or more it seems, which is much more than the stock return nozzle.   i have a coral that might be too close to it.  

i'm a big fan of not having any other powerheads in my display but i am looking at other options for more flow.  i just think the RFG will look kind of dumb in my display if it's as big as i think it is. 

It's smaller than a powerhead would be and it is black, so it blends in with the background. To be honest with you, I don't think it looks bad. Sorry I can't get a picture right now for your.

if you wouldn't mind posting a few pictures sometime i'd really appreciate it

how far does it stick out from the wall?  i love how unnoticeable the stock return is but it's a cheap setup and i'd love to replace it with something 'more professional' and robust like loc-line and at least split my flow.

i understand it's smaller than a powerhead but still...and my background is pretty much all purple now :P

19 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

if you wouldn't mind posting a few pictures sometime i'd really appreciate it

how far does it stick out from the wall?  i love how unnoticeable the stock return is but it's a cheap setup and i'd love to replace it with something 'more professional' and robust like loc-line and at least split my flow.

i understand it's smaller than a powerhead but still...and my background is pretty much all purple now :P

Hopefully that gives a better idea...? 

• Like 1
On 10/8/2017 at 10:26 AM, Lula_Mae said:

I believe I have read that it has a pretty large grain size and maybe traps detritus pretty badly?

On 10/7/2017 at 10:14 PM, funkskunk said:

Anyone running Hawaiian Black substrate? pro/cons?  Oh and here's my build thread -->  https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/385978-the-gobypistol-project-another-im-fusion-10-tank-build/   I'm gonna try to keep a pistol shrimp and goby pair eventually just collecting the gear right now. 

i used it in my old biocube tank and parts of the sand are metallic and would stick to my magnet cleaners, also the detritus was really easy to see in the black sand and looked bad unless cleaned. i believe another expert mentioned previously that the sand provided no reflection of light upwards to corals and issue with buffering abilities regarding PH. i didn;t experience any issues with PH, but the magnetic particles and detritus/waste on the sand were annoying. i use FIJI pink sand and i love the natural look.

yes hinnenkm thank you!

it is pretty much what i expected, and it just may come a little too close to my birdsnest but...

i had a couple beers last night and watched some videos of it and decided to spend the $27 bucks or whatever and give it a go :lol:

everyone seems to love it, and i am quickly realizing the importance of randomized flow now that my tank is filling in a bit.  i'll report back soon when i have it installed and have an opinion on it!

oh yeah, what return pump are you using hinnenkm?

• Like 1