Innovative Marine Aquariums

Innovative Marine Fusion 10 Club

obeythefro

gone_PHiSHin

i do have a question for those of you that have had the IM10 for a while...do you get that oily surface scum in you tank?

i never had a problem with it until recently. i haven't changed anything really, same WCs, same amount/replacement of carbon  and GFO, about the same feeding...but i recently have noticed a build up of organics on my water surface. 

now i've definitely read many times that i need more surface agitation from my return pump and that should eliminate it, but i've tried moving that and all it really does is push the oily stuff around without really eliminating it.  

its my understanding that the overflow should be 'skimming' this off in the first place, collecting it in the filter floss and removing it with the carbon/GFO?

i may be overfeeding my corals a little lately, but i'm going to cut back for a bit and do a small WC before my weekly 2gal change to help the problem.  any other possible solutions other than that?

Legendary Corals
54 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

i do have a question for those of you that have had the IM10 for a while...do you get that oily surface scum in you tank?

i never had a problem with it until recently. i haven't changed anything really, same WCs, same amount/replacement of carbon  and GFO, about the same feeding...but i recently have noticed a build up of organics on my water surface. 

now i've definitely read many times that i need more surface agitation from my return pump and that should eliminate it, but i've tried moving that and all it really does is push the oily stuff around without really eliminating it.  

its my understanding that the overflow should be 'skimming' this off in the first place, collecting it in the filter floss and removing it with the carbon/GFO?

i may be overfeeding my corals a little lately, but i'm going to cut back for a bit and do a small WC before my weekly 2gal change to help the problem.  any other possible solutions other than that?

I believe inTank sells a Surface Skimmer. It works well on my IM25. 

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/inTank-Universal-Surface-Skimmer-M90SS.htm

13 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

i don't really understand what this does differently than the surface of the water passing through the teeth of the overflow...?

I don't think I've noticed anything on the water surface of my tank. Does the little return pump output break the surface of the water? I have mine situated up and down and sort of poking up out of the water. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2017 at 7:38 PM, gone_PHiSHin said:

i don't really understand what this does differently than the surface of the water passing through the teeth of the overflow...?

I'd look in to getting more flow or re directing your current powerheads. Just because you have a overflow dosnt mean all the surface water will get skimmed. If the flow of the tank kinda spins it will just skim the outer rim and then you will get build up

blaksheep67

I cut a piece of black sponge and wedged it in the 3rd chamber between the water pump tube and the chamber wall, I put a piece of floss on top of the sponge to catch anything that manages to get through the first chamber/inTank media caddy. Is this necessary? 

IMG_8229.JPG

gone_PHiSHin

nope, take the sponge out, pretty sure myself and StevieT already recommended it.  it will reduce your flow too much.

filter floss in the media basket in the first chamber will do its job.  in fact it will eventually clog in a week or less and restrict flow without anything else back there. 

I am building a new tank modeled after the IM 10. Can some one measure the distance for the top and sides of the return outlet and also what size bulkhead it takes. Thanks

On 4/18/2017 at 0:20 PM, LX20000 said:

PUMP REPLACMENT !!

YAAA !!  Listened to people in this thread and got the Sicce 0.5.  TOTALLY SILENT !!!

The stock pump was a rattle trap, and the Sicca Micra was not much better.  I was not going to buy any more Sicce posts in this thread convinced me to do it.

A more expensive pump, but SILENT. 

On 4/24/2017 at 4:52 PM, Aquathumb83 said:

A little update on the Chaeto reactor setup. I found myself having an issue keeping a consistent water level in the sump AND the display. It seems as though having a separate pump for the reactor and another for the return was the issue. So what I did was I took out the return pump and stuck the reactor pump in its place and now have the return from the reactor connected to the display return nozzle. Also the Sicce 1.0 has plenty of power to run this setup.

How was the fit of the sicce pump? Did you have to make any adjustments to the return nozzle to get it attached?

gone_PHiSHin

you just have to cut down the plastic return tube a little

i replaced that plastic tube with the silicone tubing that BRS sells.  i love that stuff 

• Like 1

A bunch of people seem to indicate that the Sicce 2.0 doesn't fit.. you have to put the pump in, then screw in the outlet nozzle, and if you want to take it out, you have to unscrew the nozzle... you did not have this?

Have a link to right silicon tubing?  You were able to stretch the 1/2 in silicon tubing over the 3/4 inch Sicce 2.0 outlet ??

I just bought a new IM 10g. I have two questions. I noticed the stock pump is pretty loud and rattles, is this normal or is there a way to silent it. If not what are some good pumps to replace with? Also what is the good water level to have in the back of the tank?  Thank you so much

On 6/3/2017 at 11:34 AM, LX20000 said:

Get the Sicce 0.5   It's dead silent.  Level in third chamber should be like 1/2 inch lower than 2nd.

They didn't have sicce 0.5 so I got the sicce 1.0 . There is about a inch between second and third chamber. I'm still just in cycle phase and I'm only running the sock in first chamber.

11 hours ago, acmirage said:

They didn't have sicce 0.5 so I got the sicce 1.0 . There is about a inch between second and third chamber. I'm still just in cycle phase and I'm only running the sock in first chamber.

You'll likely have to turn the flow down.... two issues, first obviously that will be a ton of flow in the tank, and second, at max flow, the overflow will have trouble keeping up, especially if you put media in a basket. l This restricts flow, and you just can't get enough flow to feed the outlet pump.

I just received my custom caddy, what is the best tho put in the three chambers. Right now I have just the stock three pack that came with the aquarium.

26 minutes ago, acmirage said:

I just received my custom caddy, what is the best tho put in the three chambers. Right now I have just the stock three pack that came with the aquarium.

Personally, I have the @StevieT inTank basket, same principle though. I have filter floss on the top, and a chemipure nano pack in the middle. I don't have anything on the bottom. The chemipure nano packs are rated at five gallons each but, I don't have ten gallons of water so I just change the one every week, yeah it's expensive and overkill but I ain't broke so whatever. 

Ive been thinking about what to put on the bottom but, everything seems healthy and happy so why tinker?

• Like 1
On 6/9/2017 at 4:23 PM, 1891Bro said:

Personally, I have the @StevieT inTank basket, same principle though. I have filter floss on the top, and a chemipure nano pack in the middle. I don't have anything on the bottom. The chemipure nano packs are rated at five gallons each but, I don't have ten gallons of water so I just change the one every week, yeah it's expensive and overkill but I ain't broke so whatever. 

Ive been thinking about what to put on the bottom but, everything seems healthy and happy so why tinker?

Thank you. Where is a good place to buy the filter floss for the top chamber. Any suggestions and advice. Also what additives would you recommend. I just plan on a fish,a shrimp and some easier corals.

4 minutes ago, acmirage said:

Thank you. Where is a good place to buy the filter floss for the top chamber. Any suggestions and advice. Also what additives would you recommend. I just plan on a fish,a shrimp and some easier corals.

All I ever add is saltwater to replace the saltwater i take out for waterchange. Really, you don't need to add anything yet. Keep reading and such, you can keep a very nice tank on waterchanges alone. 

Lots of places have FF. You can get it anywhere really, big box pet stores, LFS, online. 

Im trying to keep this tank I got now super simple. So far doing so. One fish and two corals. One a simple pest coral, GSP, the other a favia. After my other tanks, I'll never have another shrimp or crab. 

blaksheep67
On 5/29/2017 at 1:27 AM, gone_PHiSHin said:

nope, take the sponge out, pretty sure myself and StevieT already recommended it.  it will reduce your flow too much.

filter floss in the media basket in the first chamber will do its job.  in fact it will eventually clog in a week or less and restrict flow without anything else back there. 

Thank you!

10 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

All I ever add is saltwater to replace the saltwater i take out for waterchange. Really, you don't need to add anything yet. Keep reading and such, you can keep a very nice tank on waterchanges alone. 

Lots of places have FF. You can get it anywhere really, big box pet stores, LFS, online. 

Im trying to keep this tank I got now super simple. So far doing so. One fish and two corals. One a simple pest coral, GSP, the other a favia. After my other tanks, I'll never have another shrimp or crab. 

Why no crabs/shrimp? if you don't mind me asking.

What is a light you would recommend for the 10g fusion. Right now I'm only using the light that was supplied with tank. I'm just starting the tank so don't have many corals yet. When will I bed to upgrade. At the moment I only have green star polyps and some xenia.

gone_PHiSHin

if you're willing to drop the money, the Nanobox Mini Tide Plus M is the perfect light for this tank.  

you will never need more than this light can produce for whatever coral you put in it. 

On 6/2/2017 at 0:33 PM, gone_PHiSHin said:

you just have to cut down the plastic return tube a little

i replaced that plastic tube with the silicone tubing that BRS sells.  i love that stuff 

Is it just this one? I tried fitting the Sicce 1.0 in the 3rd chamber and it was tight. I'm afraid to cut down the return without having the replacement tube first. 

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/white-soft-silicone-tubing-sold-by-the-foot.html