Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Innovative Marine Fusion 10 Club

obeythefro

I am trying to decide on the best ato system for my IM Fusion 10 tank. I have seriously considered the AutoAqua Smart ato. It seems like a good system, seems reasonably priced and it includes everything required to do the job. I also like the fail safes that are built into the system. I know that there are many fans of this system here on the forum. I have aslo looked at the JBJ controller but it looks like i would still have to add the the float swicth and pump to the system. The Hydor system uses an electronic switch instead of the float switch and it looks like i would still need to add a pump. I have read countless posts on the forum trying to figure this out. This will be my very first ato system ever so I am very lost in figuring out what will work best for my fusion 10 tank and also the best place to mount it. I know that several of the forum members have experience with several of the different ato systems and I am hoping that some will offer up some comments. Any help, suggestion or comments would be very, very appreciated!

I currently have the Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152 in both my tanks, Highly recommended.

• Like 1

Does anyone know how the CustomCaddy 16 media basket compares to the InTank media basket? The InTank is out of stock and the CustomCaddy 16 is half the price as well.

Please let me know if you can help out.

Folks who bought the upgraded caddy from IM have not given it good reviews. I would recommend you stick with the standard caddy until you can get the inTank one. Email StevieT or PM him for an eta on when he'll have them back in stock. He's usually pretty quick about restocking.

I am trying to decide on the best ato system for my IM Fusion 10 tank. I have seriously considered the AutoAqua Smart ato. It seems like a good system, seems reasonably priced and it includes everything required to do the job. I also like the fail safes that are built into the system. I know that there are many fans of this system here on the forum. I have aslo looked at the JBJ controller but it looks like i would still have to add the the float swicth and pump to the system. The Hydor system uses an electronic switch instead of the float switch and it looks like i would still need to add a pump. I have read countless posts on the forum trying to figure this out. This will be my very first ato system ever so I am very lost in figuring out what will work best for my fusion 10 tank and also the best place to mount it. I know that several of the forum members have experience with several of the different ato systems and I am hoping that some will offer up some comments. Any help, suggestion or comments would be very, very appreciated!

Tunze 3152, awesome, accurate, dependable, easy to install. 'Nough said. Should be mounted in the pump chamber as that'll be the only chamber with a fluctuating water level.

I am looking for some input on salt, sand and rock as I continue to plan for my Fusion 10 (just returning to the hobby after 15 years).

• Should I go with live sand? (We did not have this 15 years ago) Is one brand better than the others? Online sources?
  • Salt recommendations? (This will be a reef tank with hard and soft corals and just a couple of small fish)
  • Live rock: Cultured/reef saver( We did not have this 15 years ago either), Fiji or some other type of live rock? Cured or uncured? Online sources? I found www.sealifeinc.net which looks like they have some nice rock and I have read some good reviews.
  • How much rock is everyone using in their 10 gallon tanks?

Thanks in advance for all of the help! Thanks for all of the help on equipment! Everyone has been great in providing information!

Live sand is good, it has beneficial bacteria. Arag-Alive by CaribSea has worked for me in the past. You can find it pretty much everywhere.

Salt is really what works best for you, all I can tell you is what I use which is the reef crystals which is not the best anymore but its affordable and at my local fish store (LFS) so I like to help them out with sales whenever I can.

Live rock for sure, again cured, uncured, and types are all up to you and what you think looks best personally. My thoughts are get dry live rock from the bulk reef supply store online and then seed it with a few pounds of cured live rock from the LFS to keep costs down. Eventually it will all cure, it just depends on your patience level I guess. I'm very patient so that is what has worked for me in the past. :)

For a 10 gallon I would get about 10-15 pounds worth and if they are small pieces, pick out nice ones that you like looking at or if they are big pieces, maybe try breaking them up a bit. Usually a hammer, or a chisel or some such tool works best for that, whatever you have laying around the house.

Hope this helps, welcome to the hobby and if you have any further questions don't be afraid to ask! B)

reefernanoman

Does anyone know how the CustomCaddy 16 media basket compares to the InTank media basket? The InTank is out of stock and the CustomCaddy 16 is half the price as well.

Check out my fusion 10G thread. I have a pic comparing them( I gave the caddy away to my friend). The Intank is better.

I am looking for some input on salt, sand and rock as I continue to plan for my Fusion 10 (just returning to the hobby after 15 years).

• Should I go with live sand? (We did not have this 15 years ago) Is one brand better than the others? Online sources?
  • Salt recommendations? (This will be a reef tank with hard and soft corals and just a couple of small fish)
  • Live rock: Cultured/reef saver( We did not have this 15 years ago either), Fiji or some other type of live rock? Cured or uncured? Online sources? I found www.sealifeinc.net which looks like they have some nice rock and I have read some good reviews.
  • How much rock is everyone using in their 10 gallon tanks?

Thanks in advance for all of the help! Thanks for all of the help on equipment! Everyone has been great in providing information!

For rock,

I would go with BRS Reef Saver just rinse off and your good to go, no unwanted hitch hikers. Dry dead mined from ancient reefs.

For sand,

10lbs Caribsea Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand. A little larger than the fine stuff, if you want to run med or high flow this stuff wont become a sand storm in your 10 gal.

looking forward to seeing your build!!!

+1 to Caribsea Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand. I use plain old caribsea aragonite which the guy at my lfs said is what used to be labeled as "special grade". Maybe he was just trying to sell me on what he had in stock but the size works perfectly. Not too big, not too small.

And I agree with the Tunze Nano ATO, it's a great choice. The only thing to watch out for with the Tunze Nano (and any other ATO that uses a mechanical float valve) is that snails can get into the float and make it get stuck on. The Tunze Nano will stop pumping automatically after about a minute but that can be long enough to really change your salinity.

I've got the full size Tunze ATO version in my IM 10 because it doesn't have the mechanical float valve and has a separate overfill sensor. But it was hard to fit in and I had to add a valve to slow down the flow rate. It works fine but it was overkill for this tank.

Live sand doesn't really matter much, dead sand will be alive pretty soon when you use live rock, and it won't significantly speed up cycling your tank. However, a ten gallon tank needs so little sand that there's really no cost issue either way.

For salt, it really depends on a lot of factors, including what's available locally and cheaply. If you do a search here on NR you'll find a lot of good information about the various brands. I personally use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals, for what it's worth.

I am wondering what everyone is using for an RO reservoir.

I just purchased my firs RO system to use for my Fusion 10 so I will need water for a water change and top off each week (2 - 3 gallons at most)

Looking for suggestions.

Thanks

depends how much you want to stock up with. with your weekly changes id say grab two 5 gallon buckets, this way you can keep one on deck each week for emergency fresh water.

a lot of people like to use rubber maid trashcans and other receptacles they make out of plastic.

I found my InTank basket for my 10 on amazon and I highly recommend it. such an improvement from the stock. pricy, but very good quality.

• Like 2
depends how much you want to stock up with. with your weekly changes id say grab two 5 gallon buckets, this way you can keep one on deck each week for emergency fresh water.

a lot of people like to use rubber maid trashcans and other receptacles they make out of plastic.

Maybe a dumb question...Is it necessary to clean the buckets/trash cans with something before use or is a water rins enough?

I never did - no problems here :)

I use 5g buckets from Home Depot to mix my water, and plastic water cooler type jugs from Walmart for my ATO reservoir. The jugs are square and narrow, and made of clear plastic so you can check the level.

Here's a picture of mine:

https://flic.kr/p/pBjQPB'>15495959273_8342932cda_b.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/pBjQPB'>IM10 ATO bottle by https://www.flickr.com/people/15628054@N06/'>TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 2

Thanks for the pic!

I found a 10 gal food grade Brute trash can that I am going to use for my RO reservoir. It was $26 with the lid and shipping at www.zoro.com.

I will head over to Wal-Mart to loo look for a top off tank.

Thanks again for the input and picture.

usually i just get a half gallon of ro/di and slosh it around the bucket just to get any dust or hair that might be in there out. that's about as extensive as i've ever cleaned any of my water buckets.

my ato reservoir is one of those tuppermaid cereal containers. i had a few laying around my house so it worked for me, plus it holds like 1.5 gallons so a full tank lasts a little over a week for me on average.

• Like 3

I am getting closer to setting up my IM Fusion 10 tank. I am still waiting for my Nano-Box Tide to arrive and I still need to finish my stand.

I am wondering who is using a controller with the IM Fusion 10 tanks and which controller you might be using.

I am considering the purchase of one of the following: Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper Lite or Elite or a Neptube Apex JR. I would be monitoring temp, pH and controlling pumps at feeding if necessary. I purchased the storm controller with my Tide light and I have a Smart ATO for water top off so no immediate need for ATO or lighting control. I would love wave control bu I have already purchase a RW-4 for that.

I like the built-in network connection for the Apex but it would be $400 by the time I have added the pH probe. At the $400 price rand I can purchase the DA Elite (no network connection). I can also purchase a DA RKL with a pH probe for $199 from Marine Depot(pretty enticing)

Any thoughts comments or suggestions would be appreciated since I am having a difficult time making a decision.

• Like 1

I've got the Apex Jr. and I couldn't imagine living without the network connection. You can program and control it from the Apex Fusion website. Whenever I'm working on my tank I just pull out my cell phone and use that to turn off pumps/skimmer/ato. I never use the the actual controller panel, and only rarely use the builtin web server from my PC.

It's definitely more money but for me the convenience of controlling it from my cell phone is worth it.

• Like 1