obeythefro

Innovative Marine Fusion 10 Club

24 minutes ago, Lhernandez8615 said:

On the topic at hand curious what everthing thinks as far as the best brand to use for test kits?

Well that depends on what you are testing? You will not get a definite answer as everybody has personal preferences.

From my experience -

Cycling;

API

After/ongoing check;

Salifert Ammonia / Nitrate

Red Sea Foundation (mg, Ca and alk)

Hannah Phosphate

I would love to do Hannah for everything but the cost is far too high for me to justify.

Yep agree, historically I've used API but just curious if others had a better solution at a low level price point. 

7 hours ago, Lhernandez8615 said:

On the topic at hand curious what everthing thinks as far as the best brand to use for test kits?

Red Sea and Salifert are the ones I see most often recommended.  I used API when I cycled my tank, as I don't feel the need for ultra-precision during cyclilng (or, let's face it, any other time since I have yet to buy other test kits lol.  Just haven't gotten around to it...).

I agree, API is fine for ammonia and nitrites for the one time I ever use it when I start a tank.

I like Salifert in general, although I use the Red Sea Reefer Pro for nitrates just because I find the color wheel easier to read with my bad color-recognizing eyes.

I use Hanna checkers for Alk and Phosphate. Alk is super easy to use, faster than any other test kit. The Phosphorus is a bit of a pain to use but is consistently accurate if you are careful. I like it because I don't have to interpret different shades of the same color like the Salifert and Red Sea kits do.

16 hours ago, Tuan’s Reef said:

Stunning! Hope to have mine as nice as yours 

Patience and simplicity. That is it!

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions