Cultivated Reef

Innovative Marine Fusion 10 Club

obeythefro

24 minutes ago, Lhernandez8615 said:

On the topic at hand curious what everthing thinks as far as the best brand to use for test kits?

Well that depends on what you are testing? You will not get a definite answer as everybody has personal preferences.

From my experience -

Cycling;

API

After/ongoing check;

Salifert Ammonia / Nitrate

Red Sea Foundation (mg, Ca and alk)

Hannah Phosphate

I would love to do Hannah for everything but the cost is far too high for me to justify.

7 hours ago, Lhernandez8615 said:

On the topic at hand curious what everthing thinks as far as the best brand to use for test kits?

Red Sea and Salifert are the ones I see most often recommended.  I used API when I cycled my tank, as I don't feel the need for ultra-precision during cyclilng (or, let's face it, any other time since I have yet to buy other test kits lol.  Just haven't gotten around to it...).

I agree, API is fine for ammonia and nitrites for the one time I ever use it when I start a tank.

I like Salifert in general, although I use the Red Sea Reefer Pro for nitrates just because I find the color wheel easier to read with my bad color-recognizing eyes.

I use Hanna checkers for Alk and Phosphate. Alk is super easy to use, faster than any other test kit. The Phosphorus is a bit of a pain to use but is consistently accurate if you are careful. I like it because I don't have to interpret different shades of the same color like the Salifert and Red Sea kits do.

My 1.5 year old Nuvo 10 mixed reef:

[ Quick rundown: two AI Primes @ half power to help w/ shading + hot spots, Ghost Skimmer, Jebao DP-4 dosing pump for kalk, B-Ionic 2 part, organic carbon source (vinegar), and sodium silica, Aqamai KPS wavemaker, Inkbird temp controller. Nutrient management via weekly 2 gallon water changes, ChemiPure blue carbon, and lanthanum chloride drip as needed ]

fts_1-16-19.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 5
17 minutes ago, biophilia said:

[ Quick rundown: two AI Primes @ half power to help w/ shading, Ghost Skimmer, Jebao DP-4 dosing pump for kalk, B-Ionic 2 part, organic carbon source (vinegar), and sodium silica), Aqamai KPS wavemaker, Inkbird temp controller. Nutrient management via weekly 2 gallon water changes, ChemiPure blue carbon, and lanthanum chloride drip as needed ]

fts_1-16-19.jpg

Wowza! 

• 2 weeks later...

Just placed an order for a IM10 plus 10lbs of the Marco dry rock.  

I have been out of the hobby for a couple years but decided to jump back in. Been reefing since 2003.  I've had many tanks.  My last one was a custom 72"x16"x14" rimless (I have a build thread on here for it).  I want something small now though and this one seems like it will be great.  

I've built some really nice stands in the past so I'm going to build one for this tank.  I know what happens in this hobby with upgrading tanks so I'll build it to fit the 25 lagoon dimensions so I can re-use the stand if need be.   

I'll start the build thread in a couple weeks once the tank is in and stand starts getting built.  Cant wait! 

• Like 1

Just received my IM10 today along with 10lbs of dry rock.  

UEaivgU.jpgThey dont come with the clear clips for the screen anymore.   Now there are small tabs built into the frame of the screen.   Much better design. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Daveg99 said:

Just received my IM10 today along with 10lbs of dry rock.  

UEaivgU.jpgThey dont come with the clear clips for the screen anymore.   Now there are small tabs built into the frame of the screen.   Much better design. 

The netting/mesh is also much better with this. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2019 at 10:04 PM, biophilia said:

[ Quick rundown: two AI Primes @ half power to help w/ shading + hot spots, Ghost Skimmer, Jebao DP-4 dosing pump for kalk, B-Ionic 2 part, organic carbon source (vinegar), and sodium silica, Aqamai KPS wavemaker, Inkbird temp controller. Nutrient management via weekly 2 gallon water changes, ChemiPure blue carbon, and lanthanum chloride drip as needed ]

fts_1-16-19.jpg

Your color is amazing. What's the SPS on top?

Everything looks so happy and healthy. Good job.

On 2/25/2019 at 11:01 PM, KISReef said:

Your color is amazing. What's the SPS on top?

Everything looks so happy and healthy. Good job.

Thanks a lot! It's a Stylophora pistillata. Not too temperamental and a fast grower. Recently cut about 1/3 of it out because it was blocking so much light and have since added a bunch more acropora up top.

What is the highest setting on a Vortech MP10 that you guys use? In my tank ~20% seems to be the limit. Just wondering if anyone else goes higher.

• 3 weeks later...
Kriswendorf
On 3/4/2019 at 11:16 AM, thetonyage said:

What is the highest setting on a Vortech MP10 that you guys use? In my tank ~20% seems to be the limit. Just wondering if anyone else goes higher.

I am running at 25% on reefcrest mode.

15 hours ago, bcheek said:

Is anyone running an algae reactor on one of these? I’m trying to decide on one to get, but wanted some first hand reviews from others

Just trying to see what your end game is...... Why do you want to run an algae reactor?

22 minutes ago, Kriswendorf said:

I am running at 25% on reefcrest mode.

Just trying to see what your end game is...... Why do you want to run an algae reactor?

Trying to do fewer water changes, my tank is at work so it’s a little bit of a hassle to bring water there. I think I like the idea of a reactor better than a skimmer but I could go either way

LogicalReefs
1 hour ago, bcheek said:

Trying to do fewer water changes, my tank is at work so it’s a little bit of a hassle to bring water there. I think I like the idea of a reactor better than a skimmer but I could go either way

I would go skimmer as cleaning the algae reactor at work would be more trouble some than just taking tossing the collection cup when needed plus it’ll help with ph levels. 

Kriswendorf
3 hours ago, bcheek said:

I would go skimmer, dose nopox (vodka/vinegar) and lanthanum chloride manually, and setup kalk, and 2 part on a doser. Dont run the kalk in ato. Setup doser to dose kalk heavier during night. Then dose 2 part to keep things in check. Only worries would be cyno until phsphates came down and just keep an eye on alk. Lanthanum can affect (lower) alk. Sounds like a lot but very easy. Doing this i end up doing one waterchange a month not because i have to i just like to do it. (mind thing)

On 3/27/2019 at 5:25 AM, kimberbee said:

Has anyone kept a clownfish pair in one of these tanks long term? Like 3+ years? Please weigh in!

I had my pair for a little over a year in one, it wasn't until one died randomly that they were split. I got a very young pair which helped the longevity. I say this because as they get to their mature state i feel bad since it does start to get a big cramped in my opinion 

• Like 1