Cultivated Reef

Aquapod Hinges

robpardee

I'm sure this has been beat to death but I can't seem to find any up-to-date information. Is there anyplace known to man to buy replacement hinges for the aquapod 24? I'm re-setting it up but have no hinges at all.

Thanks!

You're best to put a want to buy in the hardware sections. Someone may have a hood laying around they can rob them off of.

The Aquapod 24 has been discontinued for many years now

Or make some

Hey Stevie! It's been awhile since I've been on, glad to see your still here! I doubt I could make some that don't look obtrusive and I haven't seen any build ideas out there. I may just do the wtb option you mentioned that sounds like a good idea. I emailed Current USA and they said the same thing about the discontinuation but I had hoped being the manufacturer they would at least continue to support the most broken part of the unit.

• 1 month later...

Hey StevieT, I just ordered the media basket for the aquapod from your site. The product looks awesome and I can't wait to get it. Now I just need to keep looking for those hinges. Maybe I could 3D print one if I found a file for it!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I have been wanting a 3D printer and there is a chance that I might be able to buy one soon. I've designed a 3D STL file that is meant to mimic the original Aquapod HInge. I may have to start a new thread to get the answer but I'm looking for what kind of interest there is if I get a workable replacement hinge and offer them for sale?

P.S. StevieT your aqupoad MEdiabasket is awesome. It fit perfectly and works great, thanks for such a good product and for the swedish fish!

• Like 1

I had thought about doing that, but the problem is I built a custom LED fixture into the hood and I'd like to use it, plus I have two cats that inevitably would end up taking a bath! It's happened before.

• 3 months later...

I thought it appropriate to revive this thread and share a development. I acquired a 3D printer recently and designed a replacement hinge based on a picture of the original and measuring the aquarium. I have some pictures I wanted to share but they are with white filament. I just received my black filament in the mail and printed new hinges in black and they look great. The only flaw with the current design of the hinges is that the C part where the hood actually slides into is a bit high and leaves a gap between the hood and the tank. I am working on lowering it but for now it works great so my cords don't get pinched.

Anyway Enjoy!

18143104600_df0580ddc7_z.jpg

18143098600_1e0069be79_z.jpg

17708214274_636d6bb942_z.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I No this is an older posting but I’m hoping that you will still see it and can possibly sell me a few of those hinges. I have looked everywhere and asked everyone and nobody knows where to find them. I’m just praying u will see this

On 6/1/2015 at 6:15 PM, robpardee said:

Presenting the Black Hinge!

18366184001_bd01b78143_z.jpg

Not sure how these Forums work but please contact me. I need hinges just like that

For those who find this thread, I am monitoring my PMs and this thread for anyone interested in them. I will be happy to make some for whoever wants them. I know the frustration of breaking the aquapod hinge and having no replacement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

@Robpardee,

I would love to get some hinges!  I just came across this post last night.  I picked up a used Aquapod 24 about a year ago, but the hinges were broken and the tank has sat empty in the corner of my office.  Do you or another community member (StevieT) have the filter basket?  I have the pieces that slide in to block the water inlets on the back wall, but no filter basket.  I was going to make one out of the eggcrate light diffusers.

Thanks,

Tony

Hey Tonydamar, I am still making hinges to sell as requested. I'd PM StevieT and see if he could still make you one of the Aquapod 24 baskets. I bought one years ago and it works great still, you don't need the pieces that slide into the grooves to block the water if you buy StevieT's basket, that function is built into the design. I'll PM you about the hinges though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...