inTank Media Baskets

Bluefish - nanoCube 28G w/ Steve's LED upgrade kit

sNEIRBO

I am considering buying a Bluefish controller for my nanoCube 28G. I have replaced my stock JBJ LEDs with a Steve's LED kit (about 9 months ago) and am currently controlling the lights with a Typhoon Controller. I want some more control of my lights, variable weather, storms, and the ability to control from iPhone or iPad ... so I am considering a Bluefish.

I understand from Steve's site, that with a breakout board, I can connect the white & blues in that kit to channels 1 & 2.

That leaves 4 more channels for use, here are my questions for those 4 channels ...

1) When I modded to hood to add the Steve's LED kit, I figured out how to keep the stock JBJ moonlights in tact. Can the stock JBJ moonlights be connected to the Bluefish to do lunar cycles via a Power-PWM Dimmer?

2) I plan to modify the hood further to add some Ecoxotic Stunners. I apparently need 2 Power-PWM dimmers to attach Stunners (and possibly the stock JBJ moonlights?) to the Bluefish. Any idea when the Power-PWM dimmers will be back in stock?

3) Will each Stunner require it's own power source? Or can I buy a 60 watt power supply, and the 3 tail splitter to power the Stunners through the Power-PWM Dimmers?

4) Any suggestions on colors for the Stunners? I was thinking a strip of Magenta, a strip of Magenta/Blue, and a strip of Royal Blue. If the stock JBJ moonlights can not be used for lunar cycle, could I use one (or more) of the Stunners for lunar cycle?

5) By the sound of it, I am going to have 3 small boards with connections to the lights / controller? Where should those be mounted? Is there some kind of enclosure available for those boards? Or should they be velcroed to a wall inside the nanoCube base?

I'm looking forward to this upgrade, and would appreciate any opinions / advice.

SpencerShepard

1) Yes, you should be able to dim the stock moonlights with PowerPWM.

2) We have a new, much smaller version of PowerPWM that should be ready to ship in a week or so. I will announce here and on the mailing list when ready.

3) You can use one power source. The new PowerPWM has one power input for both outputs, so it is a splitter itself essentially. You will need one two-way splitter.

4) I don't think you need that much Magenta. Just one Magenta strip, a Blue strip should be sufficient. Yes, you can use the stunners for moonlight, and that's what I would do, personally.

5) The new version of PowerPWM is heatshrinked, and can be velcro mounted. Under the stand is perfect, making sure you have drip-loops.

This will be a cool setup. :)

Spencer -

From your reply, looks like I could do this then -

Add a Magenta Stunner and a Royal Blue Stunner - power them via one of the new Power-PWM Dimmers. (No need for a power splitter then.)

Keep the stock JBJ Moonlights, connect them to a second Power-PWM Dimmer and use the power supply that came with those LEDs.

Or, remove the stock JBJ blue moonlights, and replace them with 2 TrueLumens white moonlights (connected in series as 1 bank of LEDs on 1 channel).

post-14612-0-30275100-1417283730_thumb.jpg

Archived