Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Seeking build advice

Dgee

So I've decided to bite the bullet and cut the center out of my 8x54w ATI Powermodule and run 6 tubes with some sort of LED combo in place of the center tubes.

I've been thinking two Lumia 5.2's should do the trick without optics... I'm thinking that should have a nice bit of added LED light with some shimmer. I'm not as concerned about blasting numbers from the LED's since I'll still have 300w of T5 which on my 19" tall tank is still plenty of light on it's own to grow SPS on the sand bed.

Ultimately, color tweaking and a nice shimmer without any disco effect is what I'm after.

I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Also I'm not sure if it would be wiser to run the LED's off a stand alone controller or patch them into my apex somehow. I'd like to keep this addition below the $350 mark if possible.

In the end all I really want is the look of my 20k Radiums with T5s without the heat.

I personally like the True Lumen Pro LED strips out of all the others on the market. They require no fans/heatsinks and produce very little heat. They are also capable of being used with a dimmer which is a plus. I had been using one 36" 12K bar and one 36" 453nm blue bar for my light source until I purchased my first SPS. If you want to enhance the colors I recommend buying the 453nm blue. I was able to find mine for $45 each but you will need a 24v power supply.

I personally like the True Lumen Pro LED strips out of all the others on the market. They require no fans/heatsinks and produce very little heat. They are also capable of being used with a dimmer which is a plus. I had been using one 36" 12K bar and one 36" 453nm blue bar for my light source until I purchased my first SPS. If you want to enhance the colors I recommend buying the 453nm blue. I was able to find mine for $45 each but you will need a 24v power supply.

Thanks for the reply, I'm far more interested in the multichip leds than the strips...

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

Whats the size of the tank? 2 Lumias + the T5s might be too much

If its 48" then it would be ok but if its only 24-36 you are going to have to dim the Lumias

The tank is 48x30x19...

I'm thinking I might need to dim them either way, my biggest concern is toasting a bunch of my sps.

My hope is to get the lumia's to replicate 2 250w Radium's on a HQI ballast.

Would you recommend optics or not? I was thinking I'd get the best blend and shimmer from not running optics.

This will be my first LED build.

Also will the makers controller control all 5 channels independently? I'm trying to decide if that's a better option. Otherwise what other parts do I need to buy to control all 5 channels from my Apex?

I'm thinking this is everything I need besides the head sinks...

post-66051-0-27242600-1417149727_thumb.png

Just did an almost exact mod, except with a tek 8x54 over a 48x30x24 Reef Savvy.

Not sure about the makers controller, I have a StormX

Purchased a heatsink, 3" x 46" from HeatsinkUSA.

If you want to use your Apex, you will need analog drivers, since the Apex puts out a 10v analog signal, not the PWM that the LDD drivers require. You would also need a VDM, since the base unit can only control 4 channels.

On the other hand, you wouldn't need the Makers Controller, and instead you could use MakersDrivers, (would need 3), and a VDM.

You'd be better off ordering (to stay near your spending price):

Coralux Storm with a housing

LDD1000 x 2

LDD700 x 3

180w 48v 3.75A power supply

LDD5 driver board

2x Lumia 5.2

Heatsink (about $60 from Heatsink USA)

Couple SilentX fans if needed (about $12)

You will obviously have to make some mods to the fixture for the control and power lines.

FWIW, I'm impressed with the Lumia 5.2, this is the closest that I have been able to get to a 14k Pheonix look.

DSC05862_zps48805469.jpg

• 1 year later...
HarryPotter

Just did an almost exact mod, except with a tek 8x54 over a 48x30x24 Reef Savvy.

Not sure about the makers controller, I have a StormX

Purchased a heatsink, 3" x 46" from HeatsinkUSA.

If you want to use your Apex, you will need analog drivers, since the Apex puts out a 10v analog signal, not the PWM that the LDD drivers require. You would also need a VDM, since the base unit can only control 4 channels.

On the other hand, you wouldn't need the Makers Controller, and instead you could use MakersDrivers, (would need 3), and a VDM.

You'd be better off ordering (to stay near your spending price):

Coralux Storm with a housing

LDD1000 x 2

LDD700 x 3

180w 48v 3.75A power supply

LDD5 driver board

2x Lumia 5.2

Heatsink (about $60 from Heatsink USA)

Couple SilentX fans if needed (about $12)

You will obviously have to make some mods to the fixture for the control and power lines.

FWIW, I'm impressed with the Lumia 5.2, this is the closest that I have been able to get to a 14k Pheonix look.

DSC05862_zps48805469.jpg

Dang thats awesome! Glad I saw this old post :)

Matteo look how slick this is

I am confused now, if you want to run at 100% leaving things at a 10k and want an 18k wouldn't using only Blue + achieve that? adding coral plus to the V3 is more white?

Archived