Cultivated Reef

IM NANO FUSION 10 New Build!

R0DD

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its probably the size around of a quarter, it sticks out maybe 1.5 inches too judging from what I remember looking through the packaging at the LFS. It seemed really small and since its black on black background it sort of just blends right in. Lemme find a youtube video you for. The flow at the surface seems good.

Video:

Unfortunately no. Its 3.125 inches wide and our back compartment is 2.97 inches wide so no bueno. The only ones I can think of that are readily available in America and would fit would be the Pico Skim or the IM Desktop Ghost Skimmer. Otherwise it would need to be DIY project. The Mame skimmer will fit too but has to be shipped from Japan and is a PITA to find for sale over here. There might be another 1 or 2 I haven't though of but they will be pricier than the ones I just listed. Pico Skim for 80ish, Mame for 100ish, IM Desktop for 150ish.

I've got both and I gotta say I really like the Pico Skim. You have to buy air stones and change them about every six weeks, but it's dead silent. It doesn't produce really dark skimmate but on the other hand I'm still trying to get my IM Desktop broken in and it's been over a month.

I might decide I like the Desktop better if I can ever get it to skim properly and stop producing microbubbles. Others have reported good results so I haven't given up hope yet.

I wouldn't mind either really, but I like saving 50 bucks on a smaller skimmer that is black to match the tank. Reviews seem to show that it doesn't need much break in time either while a lot of people here talk about micro bubbles with the Desktop, tinkering with it more to get it to work right, along with more noise, plus its all white except for the very top. Weird color choice if you ask me. *shrugs* But hey, it was made to fit perfectly in the middle slot, so it has that going for it, plus a larger (i think) pull and capacity too.

So i got the MJ900 in today and installed it. I dropped the water level a tad bit and threw the fan nozzle back on and it seems to being blowing strong. Will update when the tank clears back up. :D

It is definitely noisier than the stock pump though.

reefernanoman
I've got both and I gotta say I really like the Pico Skim. You have to buy air stones and change them about every six weeks, but it's dead silent. It doesn't produce really dark skimmate but on the other hand I'm still trying to get my IM Desktop broken in and it's been over a month.

I might decide I like the Desktop better if I can ever get it to skim properly and stop producing microbubbles. Others have reported good results so I haven't given up hope yet.

Vinegar bath that baby!

I'm not teeny, but ATO's generally go into the third chamber because that's where you start seeing the effects of evaporation first since the lower water level will mean less water going into that chamber so it will be lower.

reefernanoman
Cool, thanks a bunch, still trying to decide between the hydor and jbj ato

The thing that I don't like about the hydor is that you have to peel off a part of the rear vinyl in order for it to work. I have a jbj auto top off that has been working pretty good for about 5 yrs. The only thing I had to replace was the float switch, since it stopped working. I lost the other one that it came with. It does get testy when I move the switch from its position though.

You will find people in both camps on that one. Best to just pull them up side by side, and decide for yourself what you think will work best. B)

Just my 2 cents: I honestly cant decide between the 2, lol. I go back and forth nightly on each of them. I guess I better decide soon, need to start ordering all the final parts I will need!

I'd do the Tunze Nano if I was buying a new one. The Hydor is a temperature sensor, so you don't need to peel off the back. I think the Aquasmart is the one that has the optical sensor. I definitely would not recommend the Hydor - I wrote about the problems I had with that one in my thread.

I think I'd go with the JBJ over the Hydor or the Aquasmart.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys sorry i haven't posted in a while, quick question, where do you all keep your water level in the tank? Is the middle chamber dropping like a waterfall into the return pump chamber? Sorry for the newish question but mine seems to be running a whole lot better now that i dropped the water level to create that little waterfall like effect I'm speaking of...

• 6 months later...
Patrickpatrick

Hey guys sorry i haven't posted in a while, quick question, where do you all keep your water level in the tank? Is the middle chamber dropping like a waterfall into the return pump chamber? Sorry for the newish question but mine seems to be running a whole lot better now that i dropped the water level to create that little waterfall like effect I'm speaking of...

1/2 inch drop down from mid chamber to return chamber is fine. If the water level in last chamber is too low what may happen is you run the risk of water level going lower than the pump due to drop in display section water level caused by evaporation.

• 6 months later...

Archived