ReefCleaners.org

DIY in wall 75g reef tank

MrMoFo

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
On 11/18/2014 at 7:41 PM, MrMoFo said:

I would prefer a HOB skimmer but I am open to the type that can sit outside the tank skim, Does anyone use an outside the tank skimmer?

Found a good way to silence my MAG7 pump using some braieded tubing cut in half.

CCMbt76.jpg

Here is are a couple options I am considering for aquascaping. Which do you like 1 or 2?

MfnPm3d.jpg

VIa21FT.jpg

I've always been a fan of islands, i'm going to do two islands in mine. Can't wait to see how yours turns out because i'm going to be turning my 75g cichlid tank into a reef tank in the coming months. I am going to be sumping mine. 

*edit* didn't realize the original build was a long time ago lol sorry about that. Sorry about the crash.

• Like 2

Hello @Christopher Marks

It was a tough summer.  Now that I'm on the path to recovery I can look back for lessons learned.  Here are my updated reef specs/history as of today ...

75 gall marine land corner overflow reef tank (same!!!)
20 gal sump / refug (added new custom 40gal long sump/fuge Nov 2016) 
146lbs of live rock (not sure of actual weight but much less than orignal....75lbs?)
120 lbs of live sand (actually went bare bottom for a few months [o' my]...now at 80lbs of sand)
Still deciding on lights / skimmer any thoughts? ( 2x radeon  xr15 pro, late 2015...love em!...tried cheap China lights for awhile..should've put that money towards my xr15 lights)
Currently have a HOB Aqua C Remora skimmer,rated for 75g gal (reef octopus 202-s in sump...awesome love it..added Nov 2016 with sump upgrade)
Will be making a custom rasberrypi / ardunio aquarium controller...eventually (never finished this...)

Added: 

Tunze 5017 auto top off (2014 ish)

custom heater controller (2014 ish)

BRS gfo/carbon reactor (2018)

reef octopus calcium reactor (Nov 2017...taken off since reef crash)

Milwaukee MC122 pH meter (2017)

Took my frag tank down to focus on main display tank recovery...who knows maybe I will build another in wall tank and make this a frag tank?...[shhh the wife is coming!]

After 4 yrs of maintaining this reef  I found my self always wanting more. This was ultimately my downfall.  Instead of just enjoying my reef tank I wanted to improve and experiment new things/equipment. Once I added the Calcium reactor it was a new and exciting thing I could play with on my reef. Things were great for a few months. But once the CO2 was in great excess in my reef ...I could not export fast enough. Then things die and fuel the phosphate train.  BUT I like change and opportunity knocked!

Updated business room pics

20181127_184516.jpg

20181127_190750.jpg

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...