ReefCleaners.org

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

Algae looking like its getting under control??

New additions look trill can't wait till there relaxed

Thanks! I've been picking it out every night with long tweezers. It looks good now but I expect there will be another round as it regrows where I've picked it off. We'll see if the crabs and snails can keep it under control now that it's small.

I've heard the serpent stars can catch and eat fish, so watch out! Tank is looking good btw! I'm looking forward to getting some sand, LR, and water in mine this weekend!

Thanks! From the research I did, the Harlequin Serpent is one of the safe serpents. I've had one in my 4g tank for about six months with no problems. I liked him so much I wanted to get another one for this tank. Good luck getting your tank wet this weekend!

That yuma is purdy!!

He's already my favorite :)

• Like 1

I've heard the serpent stars can catch and eat fish, so watch out! Tank is looking good btw! I'm looking forward to getting some sand, LR, and water in mine this weekend!

From my understanding it's the green ones you have to watch out for. The red serpent I used to have in my 150 was one of my favorite inverts ever. Every time I would feed the tank he would come running.

• Like 1

From my understanding it's the green ones you have to watch out for. The red serpent I used to have in my 150 was one of my favorite inverts ever. Every time I would feed the tank he would come running.

Yep, the green ones are definitely bad. The Harlequin serpent from KP Aquatics that I got has been very reef safe.

I like your set up :)

Thanks :) I've been following along in your thread for a long time now - it's nice to see all the corals getting started now!

This is looking great! My nanobox is in transit I feel like I'm going to explode.

My first Nanobox took almost six weeks, but it was worth the wait. The second one was only about two weeks, though. Good luck, you're going to love it :)

• Like 1

love that yellow / green ric. it looks a little bleached so it will color up even more soon!

Yeah, I think he's my favorite. All the new corals were a little bleached from shipping but they've all eaten some cyclopeeze and some pellets so I think they'll be fine. The tricky thing for me is figuring out whether I've got the levels for the Nanobox set right. Since the light is new and I don't have any established corals yet, it's hard to know with rics whether the light is too high or too low. Especially since they can handle fairly high levels of light, but only after they get acclimated.

• Like 2

Yesterday I spent the day doing Christmas shopping with my oldest daughter who's back from college. While we were out, we stopped by the oldest and largest LFS in our area, which is going out of business, just to say goodbye. We have many fond memories of Animal Jungle, as we've been taking our kids there to pick out freshwater fish as long as they've been alive :( It was sad to see all the tanks being broken down, but we did buy a few freshwater fish ("rescued", according to my daughter) :)

Since they had already taken down all the reef tanks, we went over to another LFS to look for corals. No luck there, either, as many of their corals were bleached or browned out - a big change from the last time I'd been there. Their fish looked good though. My daughter took a cell phone pic of some of their clowns:

16090371945_94c44b1a0a_n.jpgLFS Clowns by TeenyReef, on Flickr

She keeps a betta fish in her dorm room but is starting to talk about setting up something a little more salty :wub: We had a great time shopping and looking at fish together. Life is good :)

• Like 4

I've had bad experiences with non green ones before. Lost 3 fish to one star. They are all different.

Yep, the green ones are definitely bad. The Harlequin serpent from KP Aquatics that I got has been very reef safe.

Thanks :) I've been following along in your thread for a long time now - it's nice to see all the corals getting started now!

My first Nanobox took almost six weeks, but it was worth the wait. The second one was only about two weeks, though. Good luck, you're going to love it :)

Ahh I got it today. It looks so good. It's like 50x brighter than my other leds!!

• Like 2

Yesterday I spent the day doing Christmas shopping with my oldest daughter who's back from college. While we were out, we stopped by the oldest and largest LFS in our area, which is going out of business, just to say goodbye. We have many fond memories of Animal Jungle, as we've been taking our kids there to pick out freshwater fish as long as they've been alive :( It was sad to see all the tanks being broken down, but we did buy a few freshwater fish ("rescued", according to my daughter) :)

Since they had already taken down all the reef tanks, we went over to another LFS to look for corals. No luck there, either, as many of their corals were bleached or browned out - a big change from the last time I'd been there. Their fish looked good though. My daughter took a cell phone pic of some of their clowns:

16090371945_94c44b1a0a_n.jpgLFS Clowns by TeenyReef, on Flickr

She keeps a betta fish in her dorm room but is starting to talk about setting up something a little more salty :wub: We had a great time shopping and looking at fish together. Life is good :)

This is lovely :wub:

Reminds me of all the times I'd go LFS shopping with my dad many years ago. LOVED it and still remember it like it was yesterday!

Merry Christmas to you and yours :flower:.

• Like 1

This is lovely :wub:

Reminds me of all the times I'd go LFS shopping with my dad many years ago. LOVED it and still remember it like it was yesterday!

Merry Christmas to you and yours :flower:.

Thanks! Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all!

• Like 2

I'm still working on getting the new rics to adjust. Today I turned the intensity of the Nanobox way down, as I think it was too much for the rics. We'll see how it does over the next week or so.

I've finally made a little progress in getting the IM Desktop Ghost skimmer to work. After reading some posts on other boards, I saw one guy who was advised by IM to open the air valve all the way to start the break in. Since I've been fighting micro bubbles, I've been trying to keep the air valve closed as much as possible, thinking that would reduce the micro bubbles. But the IM rep said that opening the air valve all the way would actually eliminate the air bubbles. So I tried it, and sure enough, I now have hardly any micro bubbles. And, for the first time, there is actual foam at the top of the cup, and it's not running over like crazy. We'll see how it does after a few more days but I'm much more optimistic than I was before fingerscrossed

Since the rics aren't looking too great yet, I spent a little time trying to get a decent picture of the rainbow acan right after he ate a mysis shrimp:

https://flic.kr/p/qg177X'>15922330459_3a75d7ebb2_b.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/qg177X'>Rainbow Acan by https://www.flickr.com/people/15628054@N06/'>TeenyReef, on Flickr

Here's the red mithrax crab. Between him, the emerald crab, and the half dozen hermits that came with the Reefcleaners CuC, the rocks are staying very clean and pretty much algae free now. I'm probably going to see if the LFS will take the emerald and the hermits, as they are going to be too much for this tank in the long run. I'll see if just the red mithrax will do the job.

https://flic.kr/p/pAFCtD'>15488698603_76411a37e5_b.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/pAFCtD'>Red Mithrax crab by https://www.flickr.com/people/15628054@N06/'>TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 7

That Acan is beautiful

Wow. That Acan is nice! Merry Christmas and happy new year to you and your family!

Awesome shots!

Thanks, everyone!

Every once in a while the red brittle starfish comes out to take a walk. Today he crawled all over the front glass before dropping off and hiding back in the rocks again. I'm really happy with this guy - he's so pretty.

15495225203_6c53e3e333_b.jpgRed Brittle Star by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 9

I've had luck eliminating micro bubbles by opening up the air valve in mine too. I'd imagine that its slightly annoying that it's taken so long to get rid of your micro bubbles... :/

• Like 1

I spent some time tonight doing the biweekly water change and cannister filter cleaning on my 90g freshwater tank. I thought it looked nice so I took an FTS. First time I ever tried one on a freshwater tank. It was a little different :)

https://flic.kr/p/qy2KRT'>16115032961_1480fc87e8_b.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/qy2KRT'>90g Freshwater Tank by https://www.flickr.com/people/15628054@N06/'>TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 10

Sweet tank, love the light fixture. Love the FW tank too! I have a 90 gallon planted at my parents house that we set up years ago, went through many changes even had Discus for some time. Trying to convince them to switch it over to salt B)

• Like 1

Love both your tanks! I'm downsizing to an IM 10 and your rockscape! :wub: I'm going to try and copy it with the rock I have on hand.

I've been itching to put some livebearers in my freshwater 20. Your tank might be pushing me over the edge.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone!

Every once in a while the red brittle starfish comes out to take a walk. Today he crawled all over the front glass before dropping off and hiding back in the rocks again. I'm really happy with this guy - he's so pretty.

15495225203_6c53e3e333_b.jpgRed Brittle Star by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Gorgeous starfish! I love that color. Gonna have to watch how it does for you...I may get one at some point since I'm now starfish-less :).

Your freshwater is really something too :wub:.

• Like 1