TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

22 hours ago, Nano sapiens said:

Yay, TOTM!  Wishing you another top-notch five years 👍

Thanks! I have a long way to go to catch up to you 🙂

Here are a few bonus pics that I took for the ToTM article 🙂

Cali tort:

California Tortuosa

Rainbow acans. You can see how important it is for acans to get less light by how much more color there is in the heads on the sides that don't get the direct light.

Favites and Acans

More/different rainbow acans with green banded goby photo bomber:

Acans

The zoa garden:

Zoa Garden

Tube worm:

Hitchhiker tube worm

• Like 7
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Wingy said:

@teenyreef Your acans are beautiful.  Have they spread onto the substrate or do you have something underneath for them to grow on to?  

Thank you! The ones that are on the bottom are mounted on chunks of rubble rock. Just big enough so they don't get knocked over (at least, not too often).

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Update time! Life got busy again and I've slowed down on water changes, but the tank has pretty much been cooking along on its own. The ricordea florida have receded somewhat, probably due to lack of water changes. And I still have some kind of pest or condition that slowly eats away at the base of the acros, but I haven't been able to identify it - there's nothing visible even in close up macro shots.

I've been lucky to have a job that hasn't shut down during quarantine, and I'm able to work most days from home. You'd think that would allow plenty of time to play with reef tanks but I've actually been busier with work from home than I was with work at work :wacko:

Here are some shots I just took today:

2020-04-25 IM10 FTS:

2020-04-25 IM10 FTS

I always struggle wtih full room shots. Either the natural lighting turns out orange, or the tank turns out looking like Windex. I tried for a balance here:

2020-04-25 IM10 FTS

2020-04-25 IM10 Top Down:

2020-04-25 IM10 Top Down

I was able to make time earlier this year to finish up the new desk and shelves in the study. The new setup include a cabinet that's big enough for a sump under the tank. Eventually this is where I'll set up the UNS 60U tank. I really like how it all turned out. The Ikea cabinets are really nice and there's plenty of room on the desk. Note: for this shot, the white balance is good for the natural light, but the tank looks like Windex. This is partly because it was a late night picture with more blues on in the tank than during the day.

2020-02-08 IM10 FRS

• Like 11
  • Wow 2
5 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Update time! Life got busy again and I've slowed down on water changes, but the tank has pretty much been cooking along on its own. The ricordea florida have receded somewhat, probably due to lack of water changes. And I still have some kind of pest or condition that slowly eats away at the base of the acros, but I haven't been able to identify it - there's nothing visible even in close up macro shots.

I've been lucky to have a job that hasn't shut down during quarantine, and I'm able to work most days from home. You'd think that would allow plenty of time to play with reef tanks but I've actually been busier with work from home than I was with work at work :wacko:

Here are some shots I just took today:

2020-04-25 IM10 FTS:

2020-04-25 IM10 FTS

I always struggle wtih full room shots. Either the natural lighting turns out orange, or the tank turns out looking like Windex. I tried for a balance here:

2020-04-25 IM10 FTS

2020-04-25 IM10 Top Down:

2020-04-25 IM10 Top Down

I was able to make time earlier this year to finish up the new desk and shelves in the study. The new setup include a cabinet that's big enough for a sump under the tank. Eventually this is where I'll set up the UNS 60U tank. I really like how it all turned out. The Ikea cabinets are really nice and there's plenty of room on the desk. Note: for this shot, the white balance is good for the natural light, but the tank looks like Windex. This is partly because it was a late night picture with more blues on in the tank than during the day.

2020-02-08 IM10 FRS

Good to see you around. The shelves look nice. 

.....and of course the tank does too. 😊

• Like 3
teenyreef
On 4/26/2020 at 9:20 PM, Pjanssen said:

his tank looks awesome, hard to believe you have a pest problem. Welcome back

On 4/27/2020 at 9:15 PM, mipster said:

This tank has been an inspiration for years. I hope the tank I'm starting now can someday look even half as good!

On 4/26/2020 at 2:53 PM, lizzyann said:

Wow, FTS looks great!!!

Thanks!

teenyreef

Sigh...I was going through some old posts trying to find where I was dealing with the bacterial film growth years ago, and wow, the acans were soooo much better back then. I miss these, sniff, sniff (technically I still have them but they don't look like this any more) :sad:

#blastfromthepast

Rainbow Acans

• Like 2
  • Wow 3
teenyreef
2 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

I know that feeling

At least I have some motivation to get my rainbow mojo back now! 🙂

• Like 2
teenyreef

I've mentioned that I've had a long-standing problem with the sps dying from the base up. I tool some close up pictures today with the cell phone. They turned out pretty good, but I can't see anything that looks like an obvious pest that would cause the problem. I'll try to take some more pictures after the tank is dark for a while in case it's something that only comes out at night.

If you click on these to go to Flickr, and then click on the picture once or twice, it will zoom in waaaay close.

20200501_163901.jpg

At least there's a pretty tube worm in this picture...

20200501_164221.jpg

debbeach13

I have no doubt now that your working on it the problems will be solved with the SPS and the rainbow acans will be returned to their former rainbow glory. Which are beautiful. 

• Like 2
teenyreef
4 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I have no doubt now that your working on it the problems will be solved with the SPS and the rainbow acans will be returned to their former rainbow glory. Which are beautiful. 

Thanks 🙂

I was just thinking about putting together a post asking about what the bottoms and underbellies of people's older SPS look like! My two bigger pieces definitely don't look so hot underneath at the bases, and I was curious if that was normal because light just doesn't get there or if it's from algae or other nuisance agitation. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2