Top Shelf Aquatics

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

Happy New Year everyone! I've been busy during the holiday break, putting together a new desk. I've still got shelves to put up, but the desk is basically complete now. To move the tank to the new desk, I drained the back chambers completely, and drained the display chamber down to about two inches. Then I was able to carefully lift the tank off the old desk and move it a couple feet to the new desk.

Then I got to drain it again so I could slide it to a better spot on the new desk. And the I did it again. :rolleyes:

But I think it's finally in the right place, located over a new 21" cabinet that will eventually hold an 18" sump for the new UNS 60U tank. Getting this new desk designed and put together has been the main hold-up in getting that new tank going, so I'm looking forward to working on it later this month.

In the meantime, this tank is going strong and won't be broken down any time soon. I'm considering whether to simply transfer everything from this tank into the UNS 60U, or just start it fresh with dry rock and just move frags over. The idea of starting completely fresh is appealing and that's the way I'm leaning for now. That means this IM10 will keep going at least until the new tank is completely cycled and matures enough for SPS. I'll probably just relocate the IM10 to the other end of the desk and keep it running in parallel for several months or so.

In the meantime, here are a few pictures to get the New Year started.

The blasto merlettis (Teenylettis) continue to grow - they're one of the biggest corals in the tank now. Someday I need to invest in a wet saw and then I can cut some frags from it. 🙂

20191231-untitled-030.jpg

For those following my 40g tank thread, you know I've been struggling with some kind of bad mystery condition that is hitting the zoas and acans on the sand bed hard. I took all the ones I could remove from that tank, and rehomed a couple of the here. You can see the yellow walled acans (they just look blue right now), with some pink/blue ones I got from Aqua San Diego right above them. They were definitely suffering in the other tank, and I'm looking forward to seeing them recover in this tank, where the acans have been doing great.

20191231-untitled-025.jpg

Speaking of acans, the other group in the lower left corner of the tank are doing well too. In this picture you can see one that's different from the rest with a white edge. That one is actually on a separate rock, and has been recovering from being stung some time ago. It's doing well now and should start getting bigger soon.

20191231-untitled-022.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow 1
Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Congrats on TOTM and 5 years!!! It's crazy to think it's been that long as this was one of the tanks that helped get me into the hobby.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Sk8n Reefer said:

Ha-I am alive and well, even got a new 20gal fusion for the new year.Looks great all dry 😆

Wow, welcome back! Eventually :lol:

• Like 3
2 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

Congrats on TOTM!!!!!!!!

Thanks! Hoping to come to your TOTM party for the new 75G in another year :biggrin:

• Like 2
6 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

CONGRATS!!! and Happy New Year :smilie:

Thanks - you too!

6 hours ago, spectra said:

Congrats.............

It even brought a sighting of @Sk8n Reefer

Thank you old friend!

8 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Happy New Years! Congratulations! 

Thanks - happy New Years!

8 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

New Year Party 🎉! Way to start out the year with TOTM @teenyreef.

Thanks!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Congrats @teenyreef !!!!

Thanks, Christy!

15 hours ago, RoboNarples2929 said:

Congrats on TOTM and 5 years!!! It's crazy to think it's been that long as this was one of the tanks that helped get me into the hobby.

Wow, that's fantastic to hear! Thank you!

• Like 3
Nano sapiens
3 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

@Nano sapiens Just wanted to say that I love your avatar!

Glad you like him!  'Santa Dendro' makes an appearance every year for the holidays, but soon he'll be headed back south to the reef 😉

• Like 3

I've been working on the new desk and it's almost all done now. I still need to put things back on the shelves and get some pictures hung up, but the desk itself is all done. I used Ikea kitchen cabinets, which turned out pretty well overall. The only real downside is that the desk is higher than normal, but I installed a keyboard drawer to keep the keyboard at the right height. 

Eventually the new UNS 60 tank will go in place of the IM10 on the end of the desk. I haven't drilled the tank yet, so it can either go peninsula style on the end, or regular style on the corner, as long as it's located over the cabinet that will hold the sump.

20200105_173301.jpg

• Like 6
On 1/2/2020 at 9:48 PM, jack1978 said:

Congrats, Teeny!!

-one of the most beautiful tanks around.

Thanks, Jack!

23 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Congratulations! For those of us that follow you, we are not surprised, but elated to see the TOTM win! You really are a great inspiration and credit to the hobby

Awww, thank you! :flower: