Coral Vue Hydros

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

i cannot get polyp extension on my bubblegum digi anywhere near that!  it is pretty much right under my light (Mini Tide) , middle of the tank, very similar to your spot.   i’m not sure if it needs more or less flow, or more or less light...

any advice or things you’ve noticed about getting better polyp extension on it?  

• Like 2

I take it you're never had issues with the peppermint going after corals? 

I have a decent aiptasia infestation and, while it's the least of my tanks issues, I'd like to be rid of them. Aiptasia x  hasn't cut it. I think I might try a peppermint and just keep an eye on it. Hell of a lot cheaper than nudis.

• Like 2
On 11/30/2019 at 2:29 PM, teenyreef said:

Oh hey, I just realized November is the five year tankiversary for this tank! Time has really flown 😁

Happy tankaversary! Still a beautiful, beautiful tank! :wub:

• Like 1
On 12/2/2019 at 9:52 PM, gone_PHiSHin said:

i cannot get polyp extension on my bubblegum digi anywhere near that!  it is pretty much right under my light (Mini Tide) , middle of the tank, very similar to your spot.   i’m not sure if it needs more or less flow, or more or less light...

any advice or things you’ve noticed about getting better polyp extension on it?  

I've found bubblegums are happy with a little less light than acros. I have one in my frag tank under higher light and it has less color and PE. It's interesting that in this tank it tends to grow down, not up. 

I don't have very high flow in this tank so that could be a factor as well. 

This is one of the best looking tanks that I’ve ever seen in a nano tank. You have done one heck of a job, congratulations on making 5 years.

• Like 3

Definitely one of my all time favorites!!

Regarding your rics.... what happened?

I've never had good luck with them .... mine have always stayed small and usually get some sort of color change.  Except whenni had them in my BC 29 ..... 10 years ago or more.  They were good.  Perhaps lower light or higher nutrients? 

Anywho, congrats on year 5, teeny!! 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, jack1978 said:

Definitely one of my all time favorites!!

Regarding your rics.... what happened?

I've never had good luck with them .... mine have always stayed small and usually get some sort of color change.  Except whenni had them in my BC 29 ..... 10 years ago or more.  They were good.  Perhaps lower light or higher nutrients? 

Anywho, congrats on year 5, teeny!! 

Yeah, it's a mystery. I can't tell if it was just part of the general slight downturn that happened when I slacked off on water changes or what. In the past, I've seen some of them get some kind of disease where they gradually turn white and die. But that doesn't seem to be the problem with these guys. They're just not as fluffy and growing the way they used to be. But I think they are slowly getting better.

On 12/8/2019 at 9:04 PM, Capt. Nemo said:

This is one of the best looking tanks that I’ve ever seen in a nano tank. You have done one heck of a job, congratulations on making 5 years.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Got back from a couple of weeks out of town, did a water change, and trimmed back the purple monticap. There was a big chunk of the red setosa that was buried under the monticap, and there was even a piece of monticap that had grown onto the setosa. The shaded part of the setosa looks pretty good, but I expect it will take a while before the setosa grows back over the part where the monticap took over.

This is a good reminder to myself not to put off non-routine tank maintenance tasks like trimming overgrown coral 🙂

• Like 2

Here's a top down view of the trimmed monticap and the spot on the setosa from where the monticap was winning.

20191216-untitled-006.jpg

I also noticed the chalice was just barely visible under the monticap, even after the trim.

20191216-untitled-007.jpg

Then I also noticed a snail that got stuck upside down in the ORA pearlberry. It had been there so long the pearlberry was starting to encrust, but the snail was still alive. I guess because it was upside down, enough food drifted down onto it to keep it alive.

20191216-untitled-008.jpg

So I removed the snail, trimmed the monticap back some more, and clipped off some of the pearlberry that was covering up the chalice. Now I can see the chalice again. Well, sort of 🙂

20191216-untitled-012.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 2
21 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Then I also noticed a snail that got stuck upside down in the ORA pearlberry. It had been there so long the pearlberry was starting to encrust, but the snail was still alive. I guess because it was upside down, enough food drifted down onto it to keep it alive.

20191216-untitled-008.jpg

omg 😂 poor thing. and lucky too!

• Like 3
12 hours ago, second_decimal said:

So now you have a snail roaming around with a pearlberry shell? Can it get any more awesome than that? 

Turns out it was just starting to encrust, so I got it unstuck without breaking anything. In hindsight I should have waited 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Turns out it was just starting to encrust, so I got it unstuck without breaking anything. In hindsight I should have waited 🙂

In my younger more aggressive days. I had a crappy Mexican turbo snail that liked to plow over a zoa garden. So I fragged a single polyp, and glued it to its shell.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
On 12/18/2019 at 12:29 AM, JBM said:

In my younger more aggressive days. I had a crappy Mexican turbo snail that liked to plow over a zoa garden. So I fragged a single polyp, and glued it to its shell.

That's so funny, did it grow? 

I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday break! I did water changes and general tank maintenance today. No day after Christmas shopping for me!

I've gotten tired of seeing the Sunny Delight zoas overgrowing everything, so I swapped them for some frags I've had growing in the 30g frag tank. I've had them growing in the frag tank for quite a while with the intent of putting them in this tank, but I've been to lazy to move them until recently. Now I just need to remember what they all are :rolleyes:

20191226-untitled-017.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 2
6 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday break! I did water changes and general tank maintenance today. No day after Christmas shopping for me!

I've gotten tired of seeing the Sunny Delight zoas overgrowing everything, so I swapped them for some frags I've had growing in the 30g frag tank. I've had them growing in the frag tank for quite a while with the intent of putting them in this tank, but I've been to lazy to move them until recently. Now I just need to remember what they all are :rolleyes:

20191226-untitled-017.jpg

Rainbow incinerator, Rasta, tubbs blue, scrambled eggs, gorilla nip, watermelon, Bbeb, belladonna. I’m positive at least three of those are correct answers lol 

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, Sharbuckle said:

Rainbow incinerator, Rasta, tubbs blue, scrambled eggs, gorilla nip, watermelon, Bbeb, belladonna. I’m positive at least three of those are correct answers lol 

Nice! At least five are correct for sure. I need to double check on the rainbow incinerator and gorilla nips. I've never gotten any called belladonna, so that one is probably something else though.

6 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Nice! At least five are correct for sure. I need to double check on the rainbow incinerator and gorilla nips. I've never gotten any called belladonna, so that one is probably something else though.

Upon further inspection and far less bourbon in my body. What I thought were belladonna look like fruit loops. 

Oh and emerald on fire , missed those 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
On 12/27/2019 at 8:28 AM, Sharbuckle said:

Upon further inspection and far less bourbon in my body. What I thought were belladonna look like fruit loops. 

Oh and emerald on fire , missed those 

Nice job!