Pod Your Reef

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

This is the view I have of the tank from my desk chair.The colors are starting to come back finally, and there's only a little bit of white fuzz on the backs of the rocks. If things keep improving, I may be willing to try moving some corals back into this tank next weekend. omgomgomg It's been really hard to be patient and let the tank sort itself out, but I'm really looking forward to getting it full of coral again.

I need to move the MP-10 back to the other side so it doesn't block my line of sight into the tank. I put it on this side a while ago when I was trying to improve the flow behind the rocks. Now that I've rescaped that's not as much of an issue any more.

2017-02-25 IM10 FTS

• Like 14

Thanks, everyone, I need to take some new fish pics! I may not have many corals right now but the fish are still awesome :)

I did a regular water change tonight, but I pulled each rock out and used the toothbrush on a few spots that are still growing the white bacteria looking stuff. It's mostly in the deeper crevices on the backside and shady parts of the rocks. Interestingly, it does not grow on the underside of the rocks, so something in the sand eats it or prevents it from growing. And it doesn't grow at all on the front and tops of the rocks either.

So I'll wait another week or two and see if it still comes back. If it does, I may just break down and change the sand and the rocks. I don't have too many corals on the rocks so it would be a pretty easy change. I might keep the two small rocks that have the merlettis and the zoas, but the big ones in back would get nuked and kept for future dry rocks, and I'd get some nice fresh uncured live rock.

But that would cost money, which I don't like, and it would be work, which I really don't like. So we'll see :lol:

• Like 1

Ahem

add bacteria :lol:

It's probably just growing where it doesn't have competition. Below the rocks, the sandbed has active bacterial life. On top or in front of the rocks, corals and algae and flow. I had this stuff, and some regular microbacter7 or clean dosing outcompeted it.

• Like 1
On 3/1/2017 at 8:56 AM, Mariaface said:

Ahem

add bacteria :lol:

It's probably just growing where it doesn't have competition. Below the rocks, the sandbed has active bacterial life. On top or in front of the rocks, corals and algae and flow. I had this stuff, and some regular microbacter7 or clean dosing outcompeted it.

Thanks for encouraging me to try bacteria again! I did dose MB7 daily for about two weeks, but I still saw the white filmy bacteria stuff a week after stopping. I was discouraged, but based on what you just said, I started doing daily dosing again tonight.

Did you dose per the label (for dirty tanks), or did you do something stronger?

Really, other than the pockets of bacteria, the rest of the tank looks in great shape, the sand and rocks are nice and clean and the corals that I kept in there are all doing well. I'm even starting to see alkalinity consumption go up slowly which is always a good sign.

I very relentlessly overdose MB7. Every time. I don't actually read the directions, so I couldn't tell you what an actual dose is - I just make sure the tank stays aerated, and squeeze the bottle over the tank a little bit. If I haven't added it in a couple of days I'll add a whole bunch, if it's daily it ends up being maybe 1-2mL.

Dosing MB7 and Vibrant while skimming seems to have gotten rid of my freaky coral-eating bacteria, so there's that..

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Mariaface said:

I very relentlessly overdose MB7. Every time. I don't actually read the directions, so I couldn't tell you what an actual dose is - I just make sure the tank stays aerated, and squeeze the bottle over the tank a little bit. If I haven't added it in a couple of days I'll add a whole bunch, if it's daily it ends up being maybe 1-2mL.

Dosing MB7 and Vibrant while skimming seems to have gotten rid of my freaky coral-eating bacteria, so there's that..

Just what I was hoping to hear! I was thinking of doing daily overdosing in exactly the same way :)

• Like 1

Even just some added aeration could help with a bacterial problem! Good luck. I would really be curious to see what it looks like up closer, I've never seen or heard of this issue in my experience.

By the way, the balance of fish you have in there is incredible!

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Moolelo said:

Even just some added aeration could help with a bacterial problem! Good luck. I would really be curious to see what it looks like up closer, I've never seen or heard of this issue in my experience.

By the way, the balance of fish you have in there is incredible!

Thanks! I will try to get some pictures if/when it grows back. Since I scrubbed the rocks recently there isn't much that's visible right now.

I just checked on your tanks - they're very cool! Is the small desktop one still running?

I still see little pockets of bacteria but I've been dosing MB7 daily! In the meantime, I moved a couple of acan test frags over to see how they do over the next week or so. So far so good, after two days:

Test Acans

While I was taking pictures, Doug 2 wandered over to see what was going on...

Doug 2

• Like 13
21 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I still see little pockets of bacteria but I've been dosing MB7 daily! In the meantime, I moved a couple of acan test frags over to see how they do over the next week or so. So far so good, after two days:

Test Acans

While I was taking pictures, Doug 2 wandered over to see what was going on...

Doug 2

Nice pic of the puffer. I really like the variety of patterns on this guy.  The blue and yellow stripes on his face are pretty cool.

• Like 1