Cultivated Reef

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

On 3/17/2017 at 10:43 AM, beardtamer said:

Hey Teeny, I've been following your tank thread for a while. I'm looking at getting a Toby puffer of my own, but I'm curious what you feed Doug/Doug 2? Do you just feed him regular food that the rest of the tank gets? And do you do anything in particular to curb some of his teeth growth?

great tank, glad you're algae/Bactria outbreak seems under control now. 

Yep, Doug just eats regular food. I alternate between pellets and frozen, he loves it all. He'll even go up to the surface to grab pellets that are floating on the water. So far, I haven't had to do anything special to deal with teeth growth. I do have a small population of snails, and although I never see him eating them, I see enough empty shells to believe he's responsible.

On 3/17/2017 at 10:58 AM, Weetabix7 said:

That Blenny looks great, but is it part Unicorn?

:lol: I need to get more pics this weekend :)

• Like 1
On 3/17/2017 at 11:24 AM, William said:

The tubing/top off container might be part of it, I actually know a few people who replace all of their tubing yearly for that exact reason.... I always thought they were nuts....

I'll admit I've never replaced the tubing on the ato or on any of the dosing equipment. But honestly, I'm still not sure if it's bacteria or just some weird kind of algae. I took some video that shows another spot where it's getting longer and now it looks more like a very light colored algae. But frankly, I have no idea, really.

On 3/18/2017 at 8:53 AM, vlangel said:

I am sorry about Fitzgerald.  I think its even tougher when you never find them.

Jeremiah is as cute as a button however.  I love TSBs.  They are adorable.  I would get one if I were not afraid of it trying to scrape algae off the seahorses.

Thanks, Dawn! I've always loved tail spot blennies, I really hope Jeremiah last longer than the others I've kept, though. So far he's doing great and has completely cleaned off all the algae that was on the back wall.

• Like 1
On 3/21/2017 at 10:33 PM, JR! said:

hey teeny you still run the stock pump for return and the mp10? gonna be starting one of these tanks real soon

Awesome! Let me know when you start a thread so I can follow. I'm still using the stock pump with the MP10 for circulation. The pump has been completely silent, and as long as I clean it out about every six months...or so...it works fine.

• Like 1

I moved a couple acans back over from the 40g tank. The zoas are doing well and everything is clean and healthy so far. I had a little cyano last week so I tried some Chemiclean. It worked great, the sand looks really nice now :)

I took a quick top down just to document progress. Everything is pissed since I had just glued some of the acans.

2017-03-25 IM10 Top Down

By the way, if you look carefully you'll be able to see three out of four fish in this picture...

• Like 9

Things have really improved over the last week or two. Even the weird white bacteria/algae stuff has started to recede. Nitrates have held steady around 8 or 10, and phosphate has been creeping down, .1 the last time I checked.

So I decided to move some corals back in from the 40g tank. Mostly acans, plus the dendros, the Evil Favites, the trumpet, the chalice, and the weird brown/purple/blue/green sps frag that used to be at the very top. I put the sps frag on the sandbed just to see how it does.

Everything was still a little pissed from being moved and glued up, but here's a top down to give you an idea of where everything ended up. Hopefully these guys will do well, and I can start moving more sps back into the tank, too!

2017-04-05 Top Down

• Like 6
6 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Things have really improved over the last week or two. Even the weird white bacteria/algae stuff has started to recede. Nitrates have held steady around 8 or 10, and phosphate has been creeping down, .1 the last time I checked.

So I decided to move some corals back in from the 40g tank. Mostly acans, plus the dendros, the Evil Favites, the trumpet, the chalice, and the weird brown/purple/blue/green sps frag that used to be at the very top. I put the sps frag on the sandbed just to see how it does.

Everything was still a little pissed from being moved and glued up, but here's a top down to give you an idea of where everything ended up. Hopefully these guys will do well, and I can start moving more sps back into the tank, too!

2017-04-05 Top Down

Pretty stuff man!  Glad it's getting back on track for you!

How's Doug II? 

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

It's really starting to fill out again with all the new acans. I just watched the video of the weird white bacteria/algae stuff :blink: Glad to hear it's receding. Endless mystery!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

Pretty stuff man!  Glad it's getting back on track for you!

How's Doug II? 

Doug II is doing great! He was hiding in the back when I took this picture. He's still a great reef tank inhabitant, never bothers the corals.

3 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

It's really starting to fill out again with all the new acans. I just watched the video of the weird white bacteria/algae stuff :blink: Glad to hear it's receding. Endless mystery!

Thanks! I think it all comes back to what I suspected in the beginning of all the troubles, the tank was just out of balance. I think all the and vacuuming and rock scrubbing pretty much made for a soft reboot and I just needed to be very patient and wait for everything to get back in balance. Hopefully the trend will continue :)

I agree on the acans, I'm so happy to have them back in the tank!

IM10 Acan Garden

• Like 9
6 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Doug II is doing great! He was hiding in the back when I took this picture. He's still a great reef tank inhabitant, never bothers the corals.

Thanks! I think it all comes back to what I suspected in the beginning of all the troubles, the tank was just out of balance. I think all the and vacuuming and rock scrubbing pretty much made for a soft reboot and I just needed to be very patient and wait for everything to get back in balance. Hopefully the trend will continue :)

I agree on the acans, I'm so happy to have them back in the tank!

IM10 Acan Garden

Beautiful!  Love the little green banded.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Vivid green corals always make such a impactful contrast in an aquascape. Are those green acans next to the hammer coral near the center? I must have missed those earlier.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Vivid green corals always make such a impactful contrast in an aquascape. Are those green acans next to the hammer coral near the center? I must have missed those earlier.

I think you're looking at the Blasto Merlettis, aka Teenylettis. Directly below the hammers in the picture?

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Oh yes, those are the ones! :wub:

Yes, they are some of my favorites, they have a really pretty shade of green. They grow slowly, but someday I want to frag them and share them with some of the folks who have been asking for them, for years in some cases :)

• Like 2

Very nice teeny!  I have been on vacation but am glad to hear that this tank is back on track.  Its looking great and I agree with your assessment, I think the tank just needed to re-settle.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, RIP Sebastian said:

Lookin' good!

Thanks! I'm really excited to be filling it back up again!

13 hours ago, vlangel said:

Very nice teeny!  I have been on vacation but am glad to hear that this tank is back on track.  Its looking great and I agree with your assessment, I think the tank just needed to re-settle.

Welcome back Dawn, and thanks! I just hope it stays on the right track.

This afternoon the acans were all super fluffy, so that's a great sign. I took an FTS even though the dendros weren't out.

2017-04-06 IM10 FTS

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, Kijho said:

I'm so happy to see things doing as beautiful as ever man! Hope you're well!

Thanks, and yes I'm doing fine. I hope you're doing well too - your tank is looking great!

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Thanks! I'm really excited to be filling it back up again!

Welcome back Dawn, and thanks! I just hope it stays on the right track.

This afternoon the acans were all super fluffy, so that's a great sign. I took an FTS even though the dendros weren't out.

2017-04-06 IM10 FTS

Simply beautiful, especially those big puffy acans! 

• Like 2
gone_PHiSHin

hey teeny i know you've posted them before but what are your Nanobox settings for this tank?  i have the Tide Plus M.  would you mind posting how you are currently running the light?

i've been contemplating lately whether my lights are too bright or if i could get away with a little more 

my acans are in basically the same spot and they don't all get big and fluffy.  it's either light or flow, and no matter how i adjust my return it doesn't seem to change anything.  i feed them all the same.

• Like 1