Pod Your Reef

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

I'm off to Disney until New Year's! So no more fish pics till next year, at least from my tank. But I will spend one day at Sea World :)

Nice, if you go to any of the pools you may see me guarding haha

• Like 1
reefernanoman

I spent some time tonight doing the biweekly water change and cannister filter cleaning on my 90g freshwater tank. I thought it looked nice so I took an FTS. First time I ever tried one on a freshwater tank. It was a little different :)

16115032961_1480fc87e8_b.jpg90g Freshwater Tank by TeenyReef, on Flickr

You need some african cichlids in there! J/K. I remember when I was a kid and added a couple of them to my 25G without knowing how aggressive they were. They killed everything(Mbunas!), but I was hooked. Nice tank BTW

• Like 1

I've been thinking about my options for stocking this tank. I think I may end up with a pair of ocellaris clowns by popular demand from the family but beyond that it's wide open and I'm interested in opinions. Frogspawn for the clowns? Shrimp / goby pair? I'll have sps corals in this tank eventually so that will limit some choices.

• Like 1

I've been thinking about my options for stocking this tank. I think I may end up with a pair of ocellaris clowns by popular demand from the family but beyond that it's wide open and I'm interested in opinions. Frogspawn for the clowns? Shrimp / goby pair? I'll have sps corals in this tank eventually so that will limit some choices.

Ok, my old standby when anyone asks what fish to get. Pink streaked wrasse!!!!!! I can't even tell you how wonderful and sweet and pretty and wonderful and loveable and great and wonderful this fish is :lol:. Seriously! I wish I could give mine a hug :).

• Like 4

Ok, my old standby when anyone asks what fish to get. Pink streaked wrasse!!!!!! I can't even tell you how wonderful and sweet and pretty and wonderful and loveable and great and wonderful this fish is :lol:. Seriously! I wish I could give mine a hug :).

But are they wonderful?

• Like 3

YES :lol:

I know Jaime can back me up on this :).

Wonderful time a bajillion :lol: They are really interesting fish and different enough from the "standard fare" ones like clowns, regular firefish, etc. Small and peaceful, so it's like having a six-line but without the potential for fish murder down the road.

• Like 2

We got back from vacation late last night, and spent the day today recovering from our Disney hangovers :wacko:

Oops, apparently I'm still hungover, because I just posted a status update for the 4g tank on this thread...this is the edited version.

The tank did pretty well while I was gone, although somehow the crabs and snails managed to topple several rocks and every coral that wasn't glued down, including the rock at the very top of the pile, which was a pretty big rock :eek:

I had been a little worried about the Yuma Ric which looked like it was melting, and sure enough, when I got back, all that was left of him was a couple scraps of tissue. I'll leave them in there in case they grow back.

I haven't seen the red brittle star since I got back so he's still MIA. But if he grows up like the one Steelen posted, I'm ok with him never reappearing. That thing is scary :scarry:

It reminds me of one I saw in one of the tanks at Sea World. It's hard to tell in this pic, but this guy is huge. The foot of the anenome next to him is about ten inches in diameter to give a sense of scale:

https://flic.kr/p/qByjGj'>16154946266_1a592e23a5_b.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/qByjGj'>Starfish at Sea World by https://www.flickr.com/people/15628054@N06/'>TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 5
Polarcollision

How do you like the par30 bulb? I'm looking for the lowest cost option to light a softie/macroalgae/gorgonian tank. The bulb looks pretty good!

OK, just saw you updated to nanobox. How --WAS-- the par30 bulb? LOL

How do you like the par30 bulb? I'm looking for the lowest cost option to light a softie/macroalgae/gorgonian tank. The bulb looks pretty good!

OK, just saw you updated to nanobox. How --WAS-- the par30 bulb? LOL

I liked it a lot especially for the price. For $60 I got a bulb that has the right spectrum and enough brightness to grow anything. However, if I did it over again, I'd spend the extra $ for the dimmable par 38. I thought the par 30 would be better for my pico since it was a small bulb, but I ended up having to place it about a foot above the tank because it was too bright. I would have been better off using the larger but dimmable bulb so that I could change the intensity using the dimmer instead of changing the physical height of the bulb.

• Like 1

Still no sign of the red brittle star. I miss him. Sniff sniff.

I'm officially declaring victory over the macro algae. The crabs seem to have completely eliminated all of it, even the stuff I would have liked to have kept. Now I'm just worried about keeping the crabs away from everything else. I put a couple of veggie rounds in the tank that I normally have for my freshwater tank. It was like giving them pure gold. They each took one and scurried away with it held closely to the chest for a private dining experience :)

Finally, I ordered one of the acan frag packs from Coral Gardens Aquaculture. They should arrive later this week. Still on my list: zoas, a frogspawn, and then start on collecting some sps sticks.

Thanks for the tip! I didn't realize the par30 wasn't dimmable. :-)

You're welcome - let me know how it works out.

• Like 6

I'm officially declaring victory over the macro algae. The crabs seem to have completely eliminated all of it, even the stuff I would have liked to have kept. Now I'm just worried about keeping the crabs away from everything else. I put a couple of veggie rounds in the tank that I normally have for my freshwater tank. It was like giving them pure gold. They each took one and scurried away with it held closely to the chest for a private dining experience :)

Hermits are definitely good cleaners of algae. But man, they are greedy too!!

• Like 2

I was too paranoid about my mithrax crabs not having enough to eat once they finished the algae and took them into the LFS shortly after I got them. I spot fed them some algae discs I had for my freshwater tank too and it was so funny watching them take a piece and run off to eat it :lol:

• Like 1

The red brittle starfish is back! I found him in the back chamber during a water change last night. After a very long process involving tongs (bad idea, broke one of his legs :(), brine shrimp for bait, a flashlight, a drop light, taking apart most of the back chamber, lots of cussing, and a very small net, I got him back in the display tank. Here's what it looked like when I finally got him:

16205472302_a3f047e08e_b.jpgPost starfish retrieval mess by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 6