Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

BostonReef

That sucks.  Especially since it seems to be pretty rare for them.. I had one jump into a back chamber once luckily not the floor.

Such personalities.. I’m sure he’ll be missed.

16 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

It jumped last night... 😞 found it by the tank this morning, my kids we so sad, they really liked that fish. Now all I have are those 2 stubborn clownfish refusing to care about anemones...😔

Must've been the guilt getting to him...

These small puffers definitely will jump. Doug's predecessor, Doug the First, jumped while I was putting in a new fish. I put him back in immediately but he must have been injured in the fall onto the desk, because he died almost right away. 

2 hours ago, teenyreef said:

These small puffers definitely will jump. Doug's predecessor, Doug the First, jumped while I was putting in a new fish. I put him back in immediately but he must have been injured in the fall onto the desk, because he died almost right away. 

I didn't know your first one jumped too!! I am going to build screen for that tank. I got lucky my wheeler jumped and ended up in the back chamber, and jumped again to go back in the tank lol. I don't think I'll buy another one. They are nice fish, but very messy and I wanna focus on my main goal for this tank: anemone and clownfish lol. I will trade clownfish if I have to but I want this hahaha. How are your clownfish doing ?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

I didn't know your first one jumped too!! I am going to build screen for that tank. I got lucky my wheeler jumped and ended up in the back chamber, and jumped again to go back in the tank lol. I don't think I'll buy another one. They are nice fish, but very messy and I wanna focus on my main goal for this tank: anemone and clownfish lol. I will trade clownfish if I have to but I want this hahaha. How are your clownfish doing ?

Yes, I keep a screen on my tank all the time.

I moved the clownfish out when I set up the 40g tank. They had outgrown this tank. As soon as I moved them out, the puffer, assessor, and tail spot blenny started spending much more time out in the open.

2 minutes ago, Tnalp said:

how do you like that eshopps skimmer?

It works great. I used to worry about the foam insert, which has to be in place to prevent microbubbles. I used to clean it once a month, and then once every two or three months. Now I don't think I've cleaned it for about six months and it doesn't seem to be contributing to any excess nutrients.

The skimmer is a tight fit. Pay attention to how big the base of your light is because if it's big, the skimmer may not fit.

2 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

It works great. I used to worry about the foam insert, which has to be in place to prevent microbubbles. I used to clean it once a month, and then once every two or three months. Now I don't think I've cleaned it for about six months and it doesn't seem to be contributing to any excess nutrients.

The skimmer is a tight fit. Pay attention to how big the base of your light is because if it's big, the skimmer may not fit.

Thanks for the feedback! Seems like theyve redesigned their nano. i was looking at that new Reefglass nano skimmer but then i ran into the eshopps nano. Now im leaning a little more towars the eshopps. i like the cup design more than the external catching style that the glass skimmer has. 

Just now, Tnalp said:

Thanks for the feedback! Seems like theyve redesigned their nano. i was looking at that new Reefglass nano skimmer but then i ran into the eshopps nano. Now im leaning a little more towars the eshopps. i like the cup design more than the external catching style that the glass skimmer has. 

I agree. Also the air powered skimmers are much less effective than the pump powered ones. My air powered skimmer needed a new stone every few months. My Eshopps skims as much crap out in a week as the old air stone one did in two months.

25 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I agree. Also the air powered skimmers are much less effective than the pump powered ones. My air powered skimmer needed a new stone every few months. My Eshopps skims as much crap out in a week as the old air stone one did in two months.

Now the decision is either IM Ghost or Eshopps haha thanks again!

9 hours ago, Tnalp said:

Now the decision is either IM Ghost or Eshopps haha thanks again!

I wouldn't recommend the IM Ghost. Too many microbubbles, too loud, not enough skimmate, too hard to adjust. But I have a used one if you want a really good deal 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
On 6/18/2018 at 4:43 PM, Polarcollision said:

do you use dosing pumps other than the BRS peristaltic?

Not on this tank. But on the 40g I use the Kamoer X4. Love the hardware and the price. Once I figured out the software, I've been happy.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I hope everyone had a great holiday! I'm off until Monday :happydance:

Things are going smoothly this month. Nothing has died and the acans seem to be OK in their new locations. It will take months for them to regain their colors, unfortunately. 

For some reason, my remaining peppermint shrimp isn't eating aiptasia any more. I have one big one that I'm going to zap with Aiptasia-X. That seems to make it go away for about a month before it reappears.

Here's the July 4th FTS and top down! Doug is in the FTS but he's hard to spot. He's in the front right corner. You can also see the aiptasia pretty well :rolleyes:

2018-07-04 IM10 FTS:

20180704-untitled-015-2.jpg

2018-07-04 IM10 Top Down:

20180704-untitled-016-2.jpg

• Like 8
1 hour ago, dferrari13 said:

Do you normally cut back the purple monti? It seems to be shadowing the green one below it pretty bad.

Yes, I need chop it back a lot. I was just waiting after the FTS 😁

28 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Yes, I need chop it back a lot. I was just waiting after the FTS 😁

Fuse em together. :wink:

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, hydrogalaxy said:

What's the yellow fish?

That's Oswald, the Golden Assessor basslet. A great fish for a nano, he's peaceful and always in motion.

On 7/5/2018 at 8:27 PM, Sancho said:

Fuse em together. :wink:

I wish I could!

I trimmed everything back this evening while the water was off during feeding. Hopefully I didn't wait too long to uncover the green monticap.

20180706-untitled-001.jpg

• Like 4

Lol if I've ever learned anything about green cap is that they come back from anything. I had Dino's kill my green cap all the way back to just having polyps and now it's coming back full steam.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Muffin said:

Lol if I've ever learned anything about green cap is that they come back from anything. I had Dino's kill my green cap all the way back to just having polyps and now it's coming back full steam.

Yes, they are excellent beginner sps because they're pretty much indestructible!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1