Innovative Marine Aquariums

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

6 hours ago, Rory282 said:

Super!!! Thanks Teeny! 

Do you ever set your fan higher than 70? 

Not currently. When I had the whites higher, so that the total power consumption was higher, I ran the fan at a higher level. 

Except for photo mode, as I mentioned, it should be higher than 65% in photo mode, probably more like 85%. I don't have any absolute guidelines I follow other than I don't like it any louder than it has to be, and I feel the top to see if it's too warm and increase the fan if necessary. It's very subjective and I don't recommend following my fan levels unless you're willing to accept some risk of shortening the life of the light.

• 3 weeks later...

Very cool thread, beautiful tank! My IM 10 just arrived today, unfortunately the acrylic back wall was cracked and nice chunk fell off so Marine Depot is sending me another one (I guess after the New Year). 

18 minutes ago, Chuck H. said:

Very cool thread, beautiful tank! My IM 10 just arrived today, unfortunately the acrylic back wall was cracked and nice chunk fell off so Marine Depot is sending me another one (I guess after the New Year). 

Thank you! Welcome to the IM10 club! Well, almost :) Check in over in the IM10 owners thread when you get it up and running, and let us know when you start a build thread.

@Marine Depot always does a great job of taking care of people. I know whenever I've had things damaged in shipping they always take care of it right away, no questions asked.

The tank has been in a bit of a funk through December, with some alkalinity and nitrate swings, probably related to each other. The green monticap got some bleached spots, and the colors of  the acros declined and in some cases turned more brown. But I think things are improving already, so I have high hopes for the month of January. I'm going to add a few more corals and really work hard on regular water changes and stable parameters.

As far as the green monti cap goes, instead of waiting months for it to recover, I broke off a good sized chunk from the colony I have in the frag tank and just glued it on top of the existing cap. I'm hoping as they both grow out it will give a nice layered look :)

I also moved some of the rainbow acans off the sand bed onto the rocks, further back, where it's a little more shaded, and moved the remaining acans around so the yellow walled acans are more visible from the front. I'm hoping the reduced lighting will help the rainbow acans color back up.

Finally, I reduce the overall lighting a bit, about 10 percent. I don't want further bleaching and I'm hoping it will help the acans color up better without browning out the acros. Time will tell!

Here are the last tank shots of 2017! I have a few more shots of corals and fish but they will have to wait until I have time to edit them. Happy New Year!

2017-12-31 FTS:

2017-12-31 IM10 FTS

2017-12-31 Top Down:

2017-12-31 IM10 Top Down

• Like 13
  • Wow 1

Hey teeny....im thinking of upgrading my ghost skimmer to the eshopps that you use....do you have a picture of how it fits into the back middle section? The tube seems like it would fit but the pump hanging off the side makes me think it won't fit. Thanks....your tanks are looking great as usually!

• Like 1
On 1/1/2018 at 6:48 PM, dferrari13 said:

Hey teeny....im thinking of upgrading my ghost skimmer to the eshopps that you use....do you have a picture of how it fits into the back middle section? The tube seems like it would fit but the pump hanging off the side makes me think it won't fit. Thanks....your tanks are looking great as usually!

It just fits - the pump on the side is on the left of the skimmer body and the magnet is on the back wall. Some people have had trouble with the newer Nanobox mounts sticking out too much into the chamber, but mine is fine.

• Thanks 1

New pics!

I think gluing the new green cap on top of the old cap worked out pretty well. To my eye it looks pretty natural.

20180102-untitled-011-Edit.jpg

The ORA Pearlberry is growing like crazy now. I'm going to have to trim it back to keep some room for the forest fire digi.

20180102-untitled-008-Edit.jpg

I like this acan shot because I accidentally got two fish in it :)

20180102-untitled-007-Edit.jpg

More acans. You can see the rainbow acans that I moved in the upper right.

20171231-untitled-281-Edit.jpg

These are the rainbow acans that are in the right side of the previous picture.

20171231-untitled-225-Edit.jpg

Doug (Leopard Toby Puffer) says "hi!"

20171231-untitled-205-Edit.jpg

Gibbs, the green banded goby.

20171231-untitled-184-Edit.jpg

• Like 8
  • Wow 2
controlledentropy

Wow. This tank is my inspiration. I am planning to do the same on one of my rocks; stick looking SPS on the pinnacle and plating SPS on the sides, like how you have them on the right side. You minimized shading that way, it seems.

Those micromussa are unreal. The frags that I got are both still recovering from the fragging they had in the store, I hope they grow lush like yours.

The micromussa and zoas on the sand bed, what are they growing on? The frag plug? I like how they grow into a sphere.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Those colors!!! :wub:

Thanks!

6 hours ago, cobra2326 said:

Colors are looking on point, nice work! It's pretty impressive what you've managed in a small tank, with what I would consider a heavy bioload. Kudos!

Thank you! And yes, I consider it a heavy bioload too :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, controlledentropy said:

Wow. This tank is my inspiration. I am planning to do the same on one of my rocks; stick looking SPS on the pinnacle and plating SPS on the sides, like how you have them on the right side. You minimized shading that way, it seems.

Those micromussa are unreal. The frags that I got are both still recovering from the fragging they had in the store, I hope they grow lush like yours.

The micromussa and zoas on the sand bed, what are they growing on? The frag plug? I like how they grow into a sphere.

Good luck, and thanks!

The two things I have found really help with acans/micromussa are to feed them often and keep them in low light without too much whites and reds in the spectrum. Mine get too much light right now, and have had better color in the past. I feed mine three or four times a week and they seem to love it.

The sand bed acans came on 2" frag disks. I used bone cutters to trim the disks enough the flatten the edges a bit, and used superglue to hold them together so they stay below the sand and the snails can't mess with them. The zoas are on a rock that I made by gluing together some flat(ish) pieces of rubble rock.

17 hours ago, teenyreef said:

New pics!

I think gluing the new green cap on top of the old cap worked out pretty well. To my eye it looks pretty natural.

The ORA Pearlberry is growing like crazy now. I'm going to have to trim it back to keep some room for the forest fire digi.

Stop it! Just Stop it! (:wub:)

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I went to the lfs to get a new fighting conch for the 40g tank, and came home with some new zoas and acans for this tank. Oh yeah, and some new candy canes since the old one wasn't doing well at all. 

I still want to get some more ricordea for the ric garden. and then I think things will be pretty well filled up in this tank.

PS: I'll post pics this weekend, hopefully fingerscrossed

• Like 3
On 1/5/2018 at 11:27 AM, teenyreef said:

New pics!

Beautiful pics, teeny! 

• Like 1
On 1/19/2018 at 10:48 AM, Jimmeh Lee said:

I just noticed as I looked through the pictures again.... What's that acan chowing down on? :lol:

Lol, I have no idea. It looks like fish poop, though :wacko:

On 1/21/2018 at 6:57 AM, pappadumplingz said:

The tank is looking mental as always man.

Thanks!

On 1/21/2018 at 2:22 PM, jack1978 said:

Beautiful pics, teeny! 

Thanks, Jack!

• Haha 1

Yesterday I woke up to see the PC rainbox acro had almost completely RTN'd overnight. Seeing a bone white coral in the tank that looked completely normal the day before is always jarring and disappointing. After two days, there are a few tiny bits of tissue left, though, so I'm leaving the coral skeleton in place just in case some pieces pull through.

But the real downer came late tonight (well actually early this morning, about an hour ago...I've been up all night trying to make a deadline for work. As I was working I heard a bad noise coming from the MP10. I looked over at the tank just in time to see the green banded goby come flying out of the MP10 after getting the full blender treatment. Seconds later one of the peppermint shrimp took care of the clean up and it was like nothing ever happened. :tears:

I don't know whether to be more sad about losing the goby, or just grateful to know what happened so that I'm not left wondering where he went. I guess if I put another one in this tank I'll have to install the foam guard on the MP-10, but I hate the foam guards because they have to be cleaned twice a week. Sometimes there just aren't any good answers in this hobby.

• Sad 9
pappadumplingz

Sorry to hear about the losses man, hope that the acro bounces back,. I find that corals can be temperamental like that, I had my pavona bleach right be for my eyes, when I was blowing detritus off some rock a while back. Weird huh

• Like 1