ReefCleaners.org

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

From my experience with SPS corals, usually they tend to lose tissue or bleach out when the temperature or alkanity is not steadily maintained and also if they were placed in an area with too much light and not properly acclimated. With higher nutrients, some of my SPS would brown out. But I never lost corals with the nitrate and phosphate issued since I was able to maintain my chaetomorpha algae growing after time. Once the chaeto took off, the nutrients were consumed quickly. I also learned from Julian Sprung not to chase specific numbers, you need to do and experiment with what works for you, your corals will tell you if something is wrong and try to find a happy place for them within certain levels. I used natural seawater since I have it readily available, always kept my calcium at 440-450 and alkalinity at 10dkh. this method works great for me and I had great success. hopefully this will help you as well.

• Like 1
On 11/20/2017 at 5:46 PM, FishDooD65 said:

From my experience with SPS corals, usually they tend to lose tissue or bleach out when the temperature or alkanity is not steadily maintained and also if they were placed in an area with too much light and not properly acclimated. With higher nutrients, some of my SPS would brown out. But I never lost corals with the nitrate and phosphate issued since I was able to maintain my chaetomorpha algae growing after time. Once the chaeto took off, the nutrients were consumed quickly. I also learned from Julian Sprung not to chase specific numbers, you need to do and experiment with what works for you, your corals will tell you if something is wrong and try to find a happy place for them within certain levels. I used natural seawater since I have it readily available, always kept my calcium at 440-450 and alkalinity at 10dkh. this method works great for me and I had great success. hopefully this will help you as well.

Thanks, that's all good advice! 

On 11/28/2017 at 3:58 PM, dmw913 said:

Teeny, are you running a skimmer on this little beauty?

Edit - figured it out.  My bad.  Looking great!!!

Haha, thanks! The skimmer really is important because I'm running a heavy fish bioload. 

On 11/20/2017 at 1:33 AM, Nano sapiens said:

I believe it would have equalized (at least for a while) since reef systems are constantly trying to achieve a state of dynamic equilibrium.

I think so too. Half the art of reefkeeping is recognizing when to just leave things alone. 

On 11/20/2017 at 3:00 AM, thilankasp said:

Amazing.... Just Amazing..!!

Thanks! 

On 11/20/2017 at 8:59 AM, DaveFason said:

Interesting how quick your corals react to the phosphates going up. The tank otherwise is looking great. 

-Dave

I rechecked phosphates the next day and they were back down to .02. So I think it was just a bad reading, and the problems can all be attributed to a long term reaction to alkalinity changes induced by the change in nitrate levels. 

• Like 1
On 11/20/2017 at 9:10 AM, Pjanssen said:

:wub:Even with your troubles your tank(s) are still amazing. To me it looks like one of the healthiest tanks around. I still haven't pulled the trigger on a monti, but every time I see yours I want to. Maybe once the anemones come out I'll feel more comfortable about them.

You definitely should try a monti. In my experience they are among the toughest sps so they're good to start with. And they are a good indicator of when things are not going well. Acros die if you look at them funny but if a monti is dying then I know I really need to fix something big. 

On 11/20/2017 at 9:20 AM, Jimmeh Lee said:

I’m glad to see you’ve still got this tank up and running! New fts looks great in spite of any browning!

How are you? Haven't heard from you in forever :)

On 11/20/2017 at 4:01 PM, Ryebreadiest said:

Looking great!  Is there a story behind the toby (puffer?)?  I've always wanted one of those but was either scared of nipping or worried about having enough room.

The canthigaster (Toby) puffers are generally much smaller and many of them are reef safe. I suppose at some point Doug may outgrow this tank but he's still fairly small and seems perfectly happy. There are some good articles on them online if you want to learn more! 

9 hours ago, teenyreef said:

How are you? Haven't heard from you in forever :)

I’m doing pretty great nowadays, thanks! I went mia a while back, tank had a couple issues that it never fully rebounded from, while I was working too much overtime and had just adopted a dog... so it got torn down and I sold off most of the equipment. I’ve since changed jobs and life got a lot easier. I’ve got a new reef set up at work now, it’s already got me itching to set up another one at home. Ya know, to make ordering things online easier. Lol.

how have you been? I can see the tanks are great.

• Like 1
On 12/1/2017 at 7:40 AM, Jimmeh Lee said:

I’m doing pretty great nowadays, thanks! I went mia a while back, tank had a couple issues that it never fully rebounded from, while I was working too much overtime and had just adopted a dog... so it got torn down and I sold off most of the equipment. I’ve since changed jobs and life got a lot easier. I’ve got a new reef set up at work now, it’s already got me itching to set up another one at home. Ya know, to make ordering things online easier. Lol.

how have you been? I can see the tanks are great.

I'm glad you're back! Do you have a thread for the new tank?

I know where you're coming from about work. I haven't been posting much in the last few months because things are so busy at work. But it's busy because business is good so I can't really complain much.

I had a request for my lighting schedule for the Mini Tide, so here are some screenshots from my phone. In general, I've been increasing blues and decreasing whites.

Morning:

Screenshot_20171202-152904.jpg

Midday:

Screenshot_20171202-152758.jpg

Evening:

Screenshot_20171202-152815.jpg

Night:

Screenshot_20171202-152831.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Angry-Monkey said:

Wow, you go all the way up to 100% on your blues! Nothing got angry? I guess you just acclimatized slowly?

Oh yes, very slowly! I limit changes to no more than 2% or 3% total per week.

1 hour ago, Angry-Monkey said:

Wow, you go all the way up to 100% on your blues! Nothing got angry? I guess you just acclimatized slowly?

Oh yes, very slowly! I limit changes to no more than 2% or 3% total per week.

Btw, the position of the violet slider is wrong in a couple of the screen shots, but the value shown in the numeric display is correct. It got slid over when I was swiping left to capture the screen shot.

Polarcollision

Lighting must be in the air. I was fiddling with mine this morning, wanting it to look less red, more blue throughout the day. What are your light settings when you photo your tank?

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Polarcollision said:

Lighting must be in the air. I was fiddling with mine this morning, wanting it to look less red, more blue throughout the day. What are your light settings when you photo your tank?

I use closer to a 1:1 ratio for pictures. That usually helps the camera get a better white balance. The pictures still come out too blue, but close enough that I can make the adjustment in Lightroom. If I use the regular lighting everything is so blue I can't correct it in post processing.

Here's the screenshot:

Screenshot_20171203-143442.jpg

Hmmm...I probably should turn the fan up a little more...

• Like 2
On 12/2/2017 at 2:26 PM, teenyreef said:

I'm glad you're back! Do you have a thread for the new tank?

I know where you're coming from about work. I haven't been posting much in the last few months because things are so busy at work. But it's busy because business is good so I can't really complain much.

Thanks, it’s good to be back and see some familiar folks! I do, here! It’s been pretty smooth sailing so far, just put some more coral in over the weekend that I need to update on.

That’s some job security at least huh? 

2 hours ago, Jimmeh Lee said:

Thanks, it’s good to be back and see some familiar folks! I do, here! It’s been pretty smooth sailing so far, just put some more coral in over the weekend that I need to update on.

That’s some job security at least huh? 

Sweet, following! Nice setup, too :)

Yeah, I can't complain about job security!

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

what fish are currently in this tank?

Just marginally too many, but they all seem to be quite happy.

Leopard Toby Puffer

Golden Assessor

Tail Spot Blenny

Green Banded Goby

i have a TSB and a juvenile snowflake clown in my IM10 and i am set on getting a green banded goby for it as well.  i have been wanting to add a GBG to the group for a while now, i just haven't pulled the trigger because i have a dilemma

i have virtually no nitrates, no algae, even when feeding relatively heavy, and i know a GBG will add very little to my bioload, so i have no problems with these 3 fish in my tank.

my problem is, i've always wanted to add 2 GBGs together.  i really think 4 fish is overstocking, but this combo of fish seems borderline ok.  my gut says get 1 and be done with fish stocking, but i have always wanted a pair.  care to give any feedback as to whether this is foolish?

my backup plan was to get the pico started up i've been planning, and if the 2 GBGs caused any problems, they would both go in there.   however i'm convinced i probably wouldn't be able to get the 2 GBGs out of the tank if it came down to that.  and i am moving next September and i can only handle moving one tank at a time so the pico is going to have to wait

if i'm going to add 2 ever, i think it has to be at the same time.  any thoughts on all this?  you know we all respect your opinion and i know you have experience with GBGs and successfully overstocking a 10 :D

sorry for the long ramble in your thread!

I've always kept two green banded gobies at a time in this tank. There's only one right now because one of the two I added didn't make it past the first couple weeks. A 10g tank is plenty of room for two, and their bioload is almost negligible.

And yeah, you will never catch them again unless you remove everything but the sand bed from the tank :lol:

Oh, and also, keep a cover on the tank. You might not think such small, bottom-dwelling fish would jump, but they do! All the time in my 4g.

• Like 1

oh man you are leaning me towards getting two of them...i just feel so damn guilty about having 4 fish in this tank

i got an artfully acrylic top for this tank because i knew it would eventually have a GBG in it!

thanks for the input 

• Like 1

If the gold standard in reef keeping is having photos of your tanks constantly popping up, unaccredited, on Instagram aggregator accounts, then you are basically pre-car crash Tiger Woods right now. Great job!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
On 2/12/2017 at 9:34 PM, teenyreef said:

I had a request for my lighting schedule for the Mini Tide, so here are some screenshots from my phone. In general, I've been increasing blues and decreasing whites.

Morning:

Screenshot_20171202-152904.jpg

Midday:

Screenshot_20171202-152758.jpg

Evening:

Screenshot_20171202-152815.jpg

Night:

Screenshot_20171202-152831.jpg

Super!!! Thanks Teeny! 

Do you ever set your fan higher than 70? 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

If the gold standard in reef keeping is having photos of your tanks constantly popping up, unaccredited, on Instagram aggregator accounts, then you are basically pre-car crash Tiger Woods right now. Great job!

Haha, that made me laugh out loud! Thanks!

• Like 1