Top Shelf Aquatics

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

flatlandreefer

Where did you get doug from, LFS or live aquaria? I am currently wanting to get a leopard toby and have been keeping an eye on divers den but there hasn't been one in a while.  I'm hesitant about ordering from standard live aquaria because I want to make sure it has brilliant coloring since it is such a show piece fish.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, flatlandreefer said:

Where did you get doug from, LFS or live aquaria? I am currently wanting to get a leopard toby and have been keeping an eye on divers den but there hasn't been one in a while.  I'm hesitant about ordering from standard live aquaria because I want to make sure it has brilliant coloring since it is such a show piece fish.

Doug the First came from Divers Den. Unfortunately he jumped out of the tank when I had the lid off and didn't survive the fall. So I ordered Doug the Second from Live Aquaria. He is just as colorful as the one from Divers Den. So from my experience, either way should be fine. When I got Doug the First, I subscribed to the daily update email from DD, and it took a couple months before they got one in.

44 minutes ago, MortalWombat said:

This tank is sooooo good! That last FTS is remarkable. 

Thanks! And welcome to N-R! :welcome:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey Teeny, i'm setting up my fusion 10 and thinking about buying a mini tide for it (it just looks natural above that tank), if you could choose again what lenght of gooseneck would you pick? I'm leaning towards the 9. Thx. 

• Like 1
On 9/14/2017 at 9:21 AM, Rory282 said:

Hey Teeny, i'm setting up my fusion 10 and thinking about buying a mini tide for it (it just looks natural above that tank), if you could choose again what lenght of gooseneck would you pick? I'm leaning towards the 9. Thx. 

I switched to the longer one a few months ago, but after a whole bunch of adjustments, I think the light is exactly where it was with the 9". So I agree that's the way to go :)

It ends up being just short of the middle of the tank with the 9".

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Here's what the 15" gooseneck looks like on my tank:

20170917_171538.jpg

Thx for the picture Teeny, did you change it because otherwise you couldn't use the eshopps nano skimmer? 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Rory282 said:

Thx for the picture Teeny, did you change it because otherwise you couldn't use the eshopps nano skimmer? 

No, I was able to use the skimmer with the old goose neck. But what happened was that I had the light loosely attached, and the distance between the top of the skimmer cup and the gooseneck is less than an inch. When I pulled the skimmer cup out, it was stuck a little bit, and when it popped out, my hand pushed up on the gooseneck, which pulled the bracked off the back of the tank, which left the light...in the water :wacko:

So since I had to send the light back to Dave for repair (he ended up having to replace some of the drivers that burned out when the light shorted in the water), I asked him to put on the longer gooseneck so I'd have more clearance.

It's a problem easily avoided by just tightening the screws on the mount, though. So I don't see any reason to go with the longer gooseneck just based on that one experience.

4 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

Whyyyyyyy can't I have one?!!!! I just found the second thing I don't like about Canada...no green banded gobies:(...other thing being the neverending winters lol:rolleyes:

Oh, that makes me sad :(

4 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

Whyyyyyyy can't I have one?!!!! I just found the second thing I don't like about Canada...no green banded gobies:(...other thing being the neverending winters lol:rolleyes:

don't forget the funny money :lol: 

sorry I had to ;)

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, teenyreef said:

No, I was able to use the skimmer with the old goose neck. But what happened was that I had the light loosely attached, and the distance between the top of the skimmer cup and the gooseneck is less than an inch. When I pulled the skimmer cup out, it was stuck a little bit, and when it popped out, my hand pushed up on the gooseneck, which pulled the bracked off the back of the tank, which left the light...in the water :wacko:

So since I had to send the light back to Dave for repair (he ended up having to replace some of the drivers that burned out when the light shorted in the water), I asked him to put on the longer gooseneck so I'd have more clearance.

It's a problem easily avoided by just tightening the screws on the mount, though. So I don't see any reason to go with the longer gooseneck just based on that one experience.

Right, i remember that.

I'm going to set my fusion 10 up with just one designer clown fish in it and only a few corals.

I have a skimmer but don't know if i would use it. I see Gena has a beautiful tank without using one, and i see your tank (kinda my favorite tank on nano reef) which is also very beatiful and you are using the eshopps and it pulls out some nice gunk. Should i start with or without the skimmer and just see how it goes.

I'm not sure if i can put the bracket of the light in the center of the tank if i'm going to use my skimmer. So if that's the case i'm going to need the 13" gooseneck i guess. 

Could you tell me how big the bracket on the tide is? Thx Teeny and sorry for the inconvenience.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, spectra said:

don't forget the funny money :lol: 

sorry I had to ;)

Our funny money is awesome!! Keeps me from giving a 100$ bill instead of a 20$ since US money all looks the same hahaha and I can be quite distracted lol...again this morning I stopped to get a coffee, paid, and left to take the bus, coffee still on the counter lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Wow 1
2 hours ago, Rory282 said:

Right, i remember that.

I'm going to set my fusion 10 up with just one designer clown fish in it and only a few corals.

I have a skimmer but don't know if i would use it. I see Gena has a beautiful tank without using one, and i see your tank (kinda my favorite tank on nano reef) which is also very beatiful and you are using the eshopps and it pulls out some nice gunk. Should i start with or without the skimmer and just see how it goes.

I'm not sure if i can put the bracket of the light in the center of the tank if i'm going to use my skimmer. So if that's the case i'm going to need the 13" gooseneck i guess. 

Could you tell me how big the bracket on the tide is? Thx Teeny and sorry for the inconvenience.

My 8g mixed reef is skimmerless, and so far so good ;)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Another new avatar Spectra? Identity issues :lol:

Nope that's what started my screen name right there ;) I forgot I had them still floating around.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

My 8g mixed reef is skimmerless, and so far so good ;)

Thx Melfy77!

9 hours ago, kimberbee said:

I'm also running my IM10 without a skimmer. It's been going just over a year!

Thx kimberbee, i know love your tanks as well. And i always have to laugh when in see your name. It always reminds me of the kate says hello video :D.

• Haha 1

I probably wouldn't run a skimmer at all, except that I have four or five fish (not sure if both the green banded gobies are still alive, but at least one of them is) plus keeping sps.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Rory282 said:

Right, i remember that.

The light bracket actually goes on the back of the tank with either bracket. You don't want to put it in the middle baffle because that's thin plastic. 

I'd recommend contacting @DaveFason for dimensions on the bracket. The one I have is an older style, and I think he's changed it. But I'm sure he would be willing to make the bracket to fit. The trick is to have the thinner half of the bracket on the inside of the tank, with the thicker part, where the screws go through, on the outside. Otherwise, the bracket blocks too much of the inside of the tank and there's not enough room for the skimmer cup. 

Here's a picture of mine. You can see that if the inside of the mounting bracket was any thicker, there wouldn't be enough room for the skimmer cup. You could work around the problem by mounting the light bracket off center, but I know that would drive me nuts :wacko:

20170918_213732.jpg

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Rory282 said:

Thx Melfy77!

Thx kimberbee, i know love your tanks as well. And i always have to laugh when in see your name. It always reminds me of the kate says hello video :D.

Here's a pic of my 8g. Still trying to figure out where to put that red monti lol

20170919_114928.jpg

• Like 3
20 hours ago, teenyreef said:

The light bracket actually goes on the back of the tank with either bracket. You don't want to put it in the middle baffle because that's thin plastic. 

I'd recommend contacting @DaveFason for dimensions on the bracket. The one I have is an older style, and I think he's changed it. But I'm sure he would be willing to make the bracket to fit. The trick is to have the thinner half of the bracket on the inside of the tank, with the thicker part, where the screws go through, on the outside. Otherwise, the bracket blocks too much of the inside of the tank and there's not enough room for the skimmer cup. 

Here's a picture of mine. You can see that if the inside of the mounting bracket was any thicker, there wouldn't be enough room for the skimmer cup. You could work around the problem by mounting the light bracket off center, but I know that would drive me nuts :wacko:

20170918_213732.jpg

Thx for the detailed info Teeny, i really appreciate it. I'm going to contact Dave about building me a light. 

I can understand you need the skimmer with that sps and 4 or 5 fish :)

• Like 1
On 9/19/2017 at 11:08 PM, gone_PHiSHin said:

quick question teeny, how much does your alk drop per day with you current livestock?  i know you automatically dose, but how much would it if you didn't?

I have to admit I have no idea :rolleyes: but it's a fair amount. Probably about .5 dkh or so. The monitcaps suck up a lot of elements.

On 9/27/2017 at 2:20 AM, Noinoi24 said:

Following... nice tank.

Thank you!