Innovative Marine Aquariums

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

Christopher Marks
38 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I drew the line when he started pulling food out of the acans by reaching right down into their stomachs. 

What a terrible house guest 😂

Do you have any video clips of Doug feeding? That would be cool to see sometime!

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

What a terrible house guest 😂

Do you have any video clips of Doug feeding? That would be cool to see sometime!

I'll see what I can do! 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I like the new setup! Do you have a build thread?

Sure did! Having issue copying the link witj my phone but it's called Mel's 10 IM (I know very original lol...not). 3 sexy shrimp have been added since then.

And looking at Doug, I fell in love witj puffers and my lfs had a Valentini!!! Cutest fish ever!!! And nooooo I didn't put it in my IM 10😁. It's in my 15g with my occys. The clownfish are still small and so is the puffer, I'll keep up with my water changes (will actually motivate me do them lol) and see how it goes. I am considering moving the clownfish to my IM 10 and putting my firefish and my 15g. Here's a pic. I've fed them froze spirulina brine shrimp and the puffer ate like a champ!

20180429_190732.jpg

• Like 2

I had a valentini puffer for a while in my 40. Lots of coral, never bothered anything. Never saw any aggression toward any other fish. Absolutely loved the little (actually pushing 4") guy.

Be sure to give it tougher food like krill or hide mysis in the rocks, they have ever growing teeth. Also, they eat a TON.

How often are you guys feeding your puffers? I always kept mine full for fear of it starting to graze coral.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Squared said:

I had a valentini puffer for a while in my 40. Lots of coral, never bothered anything. Never saw any aggression toward any other fish. Absolutely loved the little (actually pushing 4") guy.

Be sure to give it tougher food like krill or hide mysis in the rocks, they have ever growing teeth. Also, they eat a TON.

How often are you guys feeding your puffers? I always kept mine full for fear of it starting to graze coral.

Yeah I did notice the never ending hunger...not that my clownfish are any better lol. I do have big mysis shrimp. And for krill, what kind would you feed it?

I don't remember what brand, but it was frozen krill from the fish store. TBH I don't know if that is really enough to wear down its teeth, I didn't have it long enough to see if it made a difference. But I didn't know what else to feed it; I hoped picking at the live rock would help.

7 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I pulled the mitrax out an returned him to the store a long time ago. He did a great job on the algae, and then he got big. I drew the line when he started pulling food out of the acans by reaching right down into their stomachs. 

I think a small one is fine and really helps with algae. But once they get bigger, the tank is just too small and they are too aggressive.

Good to know and thanks for the feed back; there are some really cool feather dusters on the live rock that I'm worried he will eat so its off to the LFS for him.

By the way, your tank looks awesome!

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Zuma said:

Good to know and thanks for the feed back; there are some really cool feather dusters on the live rock that I'm worried he will eat so its off to the LFS for him.

By the way, your tank looks awesome!

Thanks! And it sounds like you're making the right choice :)

What do you feed Doug? Looking for some ideas to make sure its teeth don't get to big. I decided to put my clownfish in my IM 10 after all. And my firefish is now with the puffer. And hopefully they'll find a better host than the return pump nozzle lol.

• Like 1
teenyreef
On 4/30/2018 at 8:38 PM, Melfy77 said:

What do you feed Doug? Looking for some ideas to make sure its teeth don't get to big. I decided to put my clownfish in my IM 10 after all. And my firefish is now with the puffer. And hopefully they'll find a better host than the return pump nozzle lol.

Doug eats what everybody else eats. Frozen mysis, frozen "angelfish food", and frozen PE-calanus. He'll also eat PE-mysis pellets. I don't do anything special and his teeth have stayed under control so far.

I do have snails and hermit crabs, which he may be enjoying when I'm not looking. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any hermits in a while...

• Haha 2
Cannedfish

I'm sure you have said it before, but as we all know, I basically live in a swamp and thus "dun don't rede my figurz & ledderz good," plus your thread at this point is longer than our president's preferred tie length, and to quote Sweet Brown, "ain't nobody got time for that." But for reference and posterity purposes how much are you dosing per day (assuming you're dosing 2-part)? When I fire up the dosing pump for the first time and nuke my tank this weekend, I need to make sure I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous. 

• Haha 4
teenyreef
1 hour ago, Cannedfish said:

I'm sure you have said it before, but as we all know, I basically live in a swamp and thus "dun don't rede my figurz & ledderz good," plus your thread at this point is longer than our president's preferred tie length, and to quote Sweet Brown, "ain't nobody got time for that." But for reference and posterity purposes how much are you dosing per day (assuming you're dosing 2-part)? When I fire up the dosing pump for the first time and nuke my tank this weekend, I need to make sure I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous. 

It depends on what kind of two part you are using. When I used the concentrated two part (Seachem Reef Fusion), I usually dosed between 1 an 3 ml per day. With the ATI Essentials, which gets mixed up with water, it's about double that.

I'd start with about half of what you think you need, measure 24 hours later, and then adjust. Make sure you measure at the same time every day as alk swings up and down based on light.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I've been terrible about updates this month 😞

The tank is doing fine, and I will try to get some updated pictures soon.

The only thing that's changed is I've been experimenting with using the Aqamai KPS pump I won in the Creative Container contest instead of the MP10. 

Good: it's very small and generates a reasonable amount of flow.

Bad: not nearly as much flow as the MP10, even at 100% it doesn't produce as much flow as I had the MP10 set for. Also, the software is absolutely terrible. Doesn't even work unless I go back to my old Galaxy S7 phone for wifi, and the interface is awful.

I'll probably go back to the MP10 but I'm waiting to see how the corals do. If I can make it work, it's nice to have a pump that's less obtrusive, and I could use the MP10 in one of the other tanks.

• Like 2
dferrari13
17 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Wow, I've been terrible about updates this month 😞

The tank is doing fine, and I will try to get some updated pictures soon.

The only thing that's changed is I've been experimenting with using the Aqamai KPS pump I won in the Creative Container contest instead of the MP10. 

Bad: not nearly as much flow as the MP10, even at 100% it doesn't produce as much flow as I had the MP10 set for. Also, the software is absolutely terrible. Doesn't even work unless I go back to my old Galaxy S7 phone for wifi, and the interface is awful.

I'll probably go back to the MP10 but I'm waiting to see how the corals do. If I can make it work, it's nice to have a pump that's less obtrusive, and I could use the MP10 in one of the other tanks.

You have me intrigued....i was thinking of buying an MP10 but now your making me want to look into this new powerhead. 

Question: Do you ever use the mp10 in the 10 gallon and have it going full blast??

• Like 1

This is by far one of, if not the best, Nuvo 10g I have ever laid my eyes on. I’m setting one up myself right now. Any tips for running a successful sps nano? I have a build thread going now if you have any critiques I’d be happy to hear them! Great work by the way! I’m sure you’re an inspiration to many nano SPS enthusiasts like myself! 🍻

• Like 2
5 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

You have me intrigued....i was thinking of buying an MP10 but now your making me want to look into this new powerhead. 

Question: Do you ever use the mp10 in the 10 gallon and have it going full blast??

As the sps have grown in, they've blocked more flow in the tank. When the tank was new, I couldn't run the MP10 above 30%. Now I run it on random flow with the peak at 70%. Basically, I run it as high as I can without blowing the sand out of place.

At 100%, the Aqamai is about as strong as the MP10 at about 40%, I would say.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Smackers4 said:

This is by far one of, if not the best, Nuvo 10g I have ever laid my eyes on. I’m setting one up myself right now. Any tips for running a successful sps nano? I have a build thread going now if you have any critiques I’d be happy to hear them! Great work by the way! I’m sure you’re an inspiration to many nano SPS enthusiasts like myself! 🍻

You're very kind! I'm following along in your thread now, it looks like a great start.

As far as tips go, the hardest thing to running an sps nano is having the patience to let the tank mature. I've found it takes at least six months before sps really start to do well, although every tank is different.

The other big challenge in a small nano is maintaining stability. If you want to keep sps, dosing is a must once they start growing. Without dosing, my tank would lost a least 1dKh alkalinity per day and there'd be no way to maintain it even with large water changes. And even with dosing, changes in the growth rate of the corals results in constant changes in the dosing requirements. So I have to test every day or two and adjust all the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I rescaped the tank last night! The big rocks are unchanged, but I moved all the smaller rocks and corals that were on the sand bed, to give the zoas more light and give the acans less light. I really like how it turned out, but I haven't gotten a picture yet. Sorry for the big tease...pictures tomorrow night 🙂

• Like 3
Christopher Marks
On 5/20/2018 at 10:44 AM, teenyreef said:

I'd be curious to see a size comparison with the MP10, cleaner looks is nice! That's too bad about the software though, hopefully they release some bug fixes soon. Is the app the only way to set it up or is there a web interface available?

Can't wait to see then aquascape!

• Like 1
Cannedfish

I think @Christopher Marks, in addition to the TOTM, should considering setting up a N-R Hall of Fame containing a select few of the best and most inspiring tanks. This tank (and its thread) in my opinion is the gold standard of nano tanks, and would obviously be in the induction class. In part, because of how incredible it is; in part, because of the shear influence it has had. Personally, this tank was significant in pushing me to finally making the leap towards setting up a nano reef, by not only demonstrating what is possible with a small tank but also by setting a standard of excellence for tank husbandry and care. Reading others responses show that I am not alone. 

• Like 10
mitten_reef

I think @Christopher Marks, in addition to the TOTM, should considering setting up a N-R Hall of Fame containing a select few of the best and most inspiring tanks. This tank (and its thread) in my opinion is the gold standard of nano tanks, and would obviously be in the induction class. In part, because of how incredible it is; in part, because of the shear influence it has had. Personally, this tank was significant in pushing me to finally making the leap towards setting up a nano reef, by not only demonstrating what is possible with a small tank but also by setting a standard of excellence for tank husbandry and care. Reading others responses show that I am not alone. 

Well said, my friend.  This tank is HOF inductee for sure !!!  

• Like 6
Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I 100% agree! This tank is what got me into nano tanks in the first place.

• Like 7