teenyreef

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - May Update

teenyreef

Murphy got burrito'd the other night. He loves being wrapped up in the blanket.

20200508_175327.jpg

Jasper wasn't sure what to think about it, though...

20200508_175319.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

Couesfanatic

The green and purple acan in the front is awesome. Have you shared your Nanobox light settings? Curious to see what you have them running at. 

• Like 1

Wherrey

Hey teeny I’m sure you’ve been asked before but if you wouldn’t mind sharing. how do you have your KPS set up I wanna shoot for a mixed reef and get into the SPS world

• Like 1

teenyreef
5 hours ago, Wherrey said:

Hey teeny I’m sure you’ve been asked before but if you wouldn’t mind sharing. how do you have your KPS set up I wanna shoot for a mixed reef and get into the SPS world

It's nothing fancy - I set it to "random" from 60-100% all the time. Good luck!

teenyreef
On 5/19/2020 at 1:15 AM, Couesfanatic said:

The green and purple acan in the front is awesome. Have you shared your Nanobox light settings? Curious to see what you have them running at. 

That's actually a favites but I agree, it's one of my favorites in this tank. I'm running the Nanobox Mini Tide at 75% royal blue, 17% white/lime, 75% violet, and 90% cyan at the midday peak. In the morning and evenings the royal blues are higher than anything else.

The sps would probably benefit from a higher level at midday but I'm trying to get the colors back in the acans by running the light a little lower.

• Like 1

teenyreef

Now that the tank has had a chance to settle in after I cut the corals back a few weeks ago, I'm really happy with how things are going. Still waiting for the ricordea to get puffy again, but everything else is showing steady improvement. Even the acans are getting puffy and coloring back up.

2020-05-26 IM10 FTS:

2020-05-23 IM10 FTS

Some pretty coral shots... 🙂

Blasto Merletis aka Teenlyletis:

Teenyletis

The zoa and lps garden:

Zoa and LPS Garden

Zia's no name blue acros that are always sorta brown in my tank:

Zia's no name blue acro

Jason Fox Brain Freeze montipora recovering from some minor bleaching:

JF Brain Freeze

Katropora looking nice like Katropora always does:

Katropora

Since I cut the corals back, the blue chalice is getting just the right amount of light and I'm loving how it looks now :wub:

Blue Chalice

• Like 7
  • Wow 1

debbeach13

Looks fantastic. Such a variety and the colors do really pop.

• Like 1

teenyreef
On 5/23/2020 at 11:29 PM, debbeach13 said:

Looks fantastic. Such a variety and the colors do really pop.

Thanks, Deb!

teenyreef

The ATO overfilled the tank AGAIN today. The timeout function worked so the tank didn't overflow, so that main result is that the skimmer starts to fill up too fast and salinity goes down by about a point. 

The problem is the Tunze Nano is an old float valve design. So any time a snail or, in this case, a limpet, gets up on the float or the float shield, the float can get stuck in the down position, making the ATO run until it times out. This has happened every few months or so as long as I've had it. After over five years, I finally decided not to deal with it any more.

I'll be the first to admit that the optical sensor systems can have their own problems, especially if they are exposed to direct light, or get too dirty. But both optical systems I have in my other tanks (the full-size Tunze in the IM40) and the Auto Aqua Smart ATO Micro (in the DB30) have never gotten stuck on. I don't like the big Tunze because it's, well, big. And the AutoAqua works fine but tends to siphon into the sump when I fill the reservoir all the way to the top.

So I decided to try something new. The design of the JBJ Nano ATO looks pretty much like the Auto Aqua micro, but it was on sale for about $50 less. So it's on the way and I'll let everyone know how it works when I get it.

• Like 5

debbeach13

I have never had a problem with the micro. I have the water level below the hose just barely. I will be interested in how the new ATO Does

• Like 1

teenyreef
13 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

I have never had a problem with the micro. I have the water level below the hose just barely. I will be interested in how the new ATO Does

My problem is that the water siphons from the ATO container into the sump. It just happens because the ATO container is fairly tall, so it's higher that the water level in the sump.

• Like 1

debbeach13

That is a problem. Well hopefully the new one works better.

second_decimal
2 hours ago, teenyreef said:

My problem is that the water siphons from the ATO container into the sump. It just happens because the ATO container is fairly tall, so it's higher that the water level in the sump.

I’m sure it’s not possible but Just in case, run the hose so it has a higher point than the water level of the sump?