Innovative Marine Aquariums

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

1 hour ago, Sharbuckle said:

That friggin puppy is so god damn cute.

I agree!

Oops, here's another picture, the blue highlights are from the fish tank light :)

20170724_215915.jpg

1 hour ago, TinyOcean said:

Hi Teeny! Love the video. I have a question for you. I just got a blue dot puffer also called a sharp nosed Toby yesterday and I was wondering how things were going for you with Doug's teeth? Mine ( Norbert ) is eating Mysis like a pig but his mouth is very small so I was going to get a bunch of small snails for my tank and also try cut up pieces of shrimp with shell on. Any other suggestions? 

I have to confess I haven't done anything special about his teeth :blush:

I do have lots of snails, and I never see pods so I suspect he eats them before they get big. But I don't feed anything special, just regular frozen food.

• Like 10
2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

I just want to smooooosh him with love!!!

Ok, I gotta ask real quick, how do you use the GFO in an inTank basket?

Asking because I am literally getting ready to try the same thing right now, but I thought you were only "supposed to" use that in a reactor.

I've done it two ways. I've just put gfo in a little media bag by itself, and I've mixed it with carbon. Either way, it works fine, you just have to change it more often and it doesn't work as efficiently as it would in a reactor.

Mixing it with carbon helps keep it from clumping, but then you have to change it as often as you change the carbon (every two weeks in my case). In a bag by itself, I can usually get it to last about three weeks.

Over the last month or two, I've discontinued gfo and started daily dosing of PhosphateRx (lanthanum). I like it better because I can fine tune the dose to whatever level of phosphates I want, and it's stays pretty stable. With the gfo, it would gradually rise over the three weeks, and then suddenly go back down when I'd change the media.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I agree!

Oops, here's another picture, the blue highlights are from the fish tank light :)

20170724_215915.jpg

I have to confess I haven't done anything special about his teeth :blush:

I do have lots of snails, and I never see pods so I suspect he eats them before they get big. But I don't feed anything special, just regular frozen food.

OK thanks Teeny! I have my suspicions that the teeth on Tobys grow slower than most puffers. Now off to buy some snails. Really though I want to smoosh your puppy!

• Like 1
13 hours ago, stellablue said:

I'm sooooo behind - I am still in May! But wanted to ask: how high above the water do you place your light? 

These photos are seriously amazing.

Thanks @stellablue! With the longer gooseneck, I actually ended up placing the light a little closer to the tank than I used to. It's about four inches above the water right now.

I know what you mean about being behind. I started catching up on your contest tank thread but I'm still in June, and I haven't even looked at the others yet :unsure:

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, TinyOcean said:

OK thanks Teeny! I have my suspicions that the teeth on Tobys grow slower than most puffers. Now off to buy some snails. Really though I want to smoosh your puppy!

That may be true. I just haven't seen any problems so far with mine fingerscrossed

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

That may be true. I just haven't seen any problems so far with mine fingerscrossed

Go Doug! Can we get more Doug pictures? I luvs him!

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, yoshii said:

Puppy!!! :wub:

That's funny, we must have caught up on each other's thread at the exact same time :lol:

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

That's funny, we must have caught up on each other's thread at the exact same time :lol:

Lol yep!

So you got a new Nano Box?

• Like 2
On 7/21/2017 at 11:14 PM, teenyreef said:

We've been buying Shetland Sheepdogs from the same breeder for 27 years now, and we've always had two dogs at a time. So when she told us last week that she was raising the last litter of puppies before she retires, we knew we were going to have to go over the two dog quota. 

Last weekend we picked out our choice, and we'll be picking up little Murphy on Sunday. Can't wait! :wub: :wub:

20170715_161432.jpg

Omg :wub: 

23 hours ago, teenyreef said:

We got him! 

20170723_194212.jpg

He needed to go to the next page 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, yoshii said:

Lol yep!

So you got a new Nano Box?

Well, sort of, I dumped it in the water, so while I was getting the burned out drivers replaced, I had Dave put in the latest puck with the mint LEDs, and he put on a longer gooseneck so I wouldn't keep knocking the light into the water when I change the skimmer cup :blush:

33 minutes ago, stellablue said:

Omg :wub: 

He needed to go to the next page 

I want to get a picture of all three shelties together but they won't sit still long enough.

So the really cool thing is...when we got Jasper (Sheltie #2 of the current group), some good friends who live five minutes away adopted Jasper's sister Daisy. And we get them together for play dates every once in a while. Now that we've adopted Murphy, the same friends have adopted Murphy's brother! So we're going to have a whole play group now.

My daughter is coming home for a visit along with her dog Presley this weekend. I'm hoping we can get all six dogs together then.

For five minutes. Then I'm done! :D

• Like 8
9 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Well, sort of, I dumped it in the water, so while I was getting the burned out drivers replaced, I had Dave put in the latest puck with the mint LEDs, and he put on a longer gooseneck so I wouldn't keep knocking the light into the water when I change the skimmer cup :blush:

I want to get a picture of all three shelties together but they won't sit still long enough.

So the really cool thing is...when we got Jasper (Sheltie #2 of the current group), some good friends who live five minutes away adopted Jasper's sister Daisy. And we get them together for play dates every once in a while. Now that we've adopted Murphy, the same friends have adopted Murphy's brother! So we're going to have a whole play group now.

My daughter is coming home for a visit along with her dog Presley this weekend. I'm hoping we can get all six dogs together then.

For five minutes. Then I'm done! :D

That sounds like fun - and how great you know someone with siblings from the same litters! Lots of photos are required... just FYI 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, stellablue said:

That sounds like fun - and how great you know someone with siblings from the same litters! Lots of photos are required... just FYI 

Oh yes, definitely lots of pictures :)

21 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Your tank is stunning and Murphy is absolutely adorable. 

Thanks! New fts coming soon, I hope.

15 hours ago, RollaJase said:

That puppy is all kinds of cute. Tank is looking great also!

Thanks, Jase!

13 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Murphy is so cute. I would not get any thing done to busy cuddling and playing all day. I hope he has a long and healthy life.

Yeah, we're not getting a lot done because we spend so much time on the floor with Murphy :D

9 hours ago, metrokat said:

DAW!  

:wub:

I agree!

• Like 3

I finally managed to get some pictures done for July! I don't think the photography is my best work, but at least the progress of the tank has been captured and you can see pretty much what it looks like right now.

2017-07-25 IM10 FTS:

2017-07-25 IM10 FTS

Top Down:

2017-07-25 IM10 Top Down

I had just fed the corals, so the acans aren't as puffy as usual. Also, I had just thinned out the zoas on the lower left rock, that's why they look a little sparse. I'm trying to leave room for the tubbs blue and the radioactive dragon eyes to spread a little more.

I also got a few coral pics. This first one, in the right, is an un-named acro I got from @Zia a long time ago. It's never really been in a place/tank where it could color up, but right now is the best color it's ever had. I really hope it keeps coloring up so I can finally see what it's supposed to look like! The blueish acro on the left is from a maricultured colony I got from ASD, that's been through a number of setbacks. I recently fragged off the pieces that are still alive which is what you see here.

20170725-untitled-023-Edit.jpg

• Like 9

More corals...

California Tort, which is growing fast. The Idaho Grape monticap is on the left. I had a small alk spike about a month ago, about .75 dkh as a result of a large water change. The only impact seemed to have been some bleaching on the Idaho Grape.

California Tort

PC Rainbow, which I just moved over here. Waiting for it to color up...

PC Rainbow

Forest Fire Digitata, which I moved from the 40g two or three weeks ago. It lost color in the 40g but has been regaining it in this tank. The coral on the left is the ORA Pearlberry.

Forest Fire Digitata

Here's a better shot of the ORA Pearlberry. Jeremiah, the tail spot blenny, is sticking his head out of his little hole in the rocks on the right side of the picture. And on the left there's a rare, blurry, view of Oswald, the Golden Assessor.

ORA Pearlberry

This was intended to be a closely cropped shot of the blue/purple chalice, but then I noticed Doug photobombing on the lower left so I left the shot uncropped. :D

Chalice + Doug

This is the Jason Fox Red Hot Setosa. It's acutally a little more pink/red than it looks in this picture. It was really hard to get the right color balance and exposure with the green monticap blowing everything out. It's incredibly bright when you look at it from the top down!

JF Red Hot Setosa

These are Legendary Corals Hyper Phoenix zoas. I had to play with this picture a lot to get it to look anything like they do in real life. I'm just going to have to try and get a better shot of them later.

LC Hyper Phoenix Zoas

Finally, the other zoa rock with a mix of zoas, some of which I can't remember what they are...but I like all of them!

Zoas

• Like 12
2 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

beautiful as always Teeny. Love all your Zoas! Was thinking of getting some sun corals myself. Do you feed each head daily? I'm concerned about over feeding the tank.

Thanks! I do have to feed heavily because of the sun corals, but I also feed the acans pretty heavily too. I squirt some frozen at the heads, but I don't do anything to make sure every individual head gets fed.

• Like 1