Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

I just blast the hell out of hard to reach areas and create a major dust storm. I mean send jets of water into the sand and get it churning real good. 

I actually think my corals benifit from it. Besides the feeding I do around the same time blasting the hell out of the sand and rocks puts a lot of crap in the water for them to munch on. The seem happy as can be during the process. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

If you can get coralline algae growing on the bottom, the glue should stick to that since it actually has a rough surface. 

Ha! Good point 🙂

26 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I love sand too but removed it in my SPS tank, seems like a huge pain to try and get in there once everything is grown in. I already accidentally fragged my red dragon like 5 times with the damn siphon. I couldn't get the flow I wanted either 😞

Now in my softy and LPS tank its easier since they can handle me poking around in there and moving rocks if I want to. 

That's funny, I agree! Just last week I knocked off most of my red dragon in the 40g tank when I was reaching in for something else :rolleyes:

I glued my encrusting montis to the back glass using the super glue, epoxy, super glue method and they weren't any more trouble to mount to glass than they were to rock. 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, MrObscura said:

I glued my encrusting montis to the back glass using the super glue, epoxy, super glue method and they weren't any more trouble to mount to glass than they were to rock. 

Good to know. I had bad luck in the 4g but I'm going to try again in this tank.

29 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Looks great without the sand.  Your tank is still an inspiration for mine and a reason I chose the NUVO 10

Thanks! That means a lot coming from a TOTM winner! How is your tank doing lately?

I feel bad for not posting more pretty pictures since I've been so focused on redoing the tank. So, here are a few of my favorite things I haven't posted lately. 

First up, Jeremiah, the tail spot blenny. Not one of the prettiest pictures I ever taken in this tank, with all the dying corals in the background, but it is what it is...

20181103-untitled-057.jpg

And the green blasto merlettis just keep on growing slowly. I just might try fragging these as part of the rescape, who knows...:biggrin:

20181103-untitled-063.jpg

• Like 9
SURVEYMAN46123
9 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Thanks! That means a lot coming from a TOTM winner! How is your tank doing lately?

Been trimming back some of the euphyllia, mainly the frogspawn, and trading for more zoas or other lps.   Other than that, its pretty much on autopilot.   🙂

• Like 1
20 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I feel bad for not posting more pretty pictures since I've been so focused on redoing the tank. So, here are a few of my favorite things I haven't posted lately. 

First up, Jeremiah, the tail spot blenny. Not one of the prettiest pictures I ever taken in this tank, with all the dying corals in the background, but it is what it is...

20181103-untitled-057.jpg

And the green blasto merlettis just keep on growing slowly. I just might try fragging these as part of the rescape, who knows...:biggrin:

20181103-untitled-063.jpg

I can haz dibs on a frag of merlettis if you do?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I can haz dibs on a frag of merlettis if you do?

Sure, but honestly so many people have asked over the years I've completely lost track of who is already on the list. I guess maybe I should make a special waiting list and thread like Kat did for the Katropora 🙂

• Haha 1

The truth is, I'm afraid to frag the merlettis because I don't have a wet band saw. I have a wet tile saw, but I don't see how to safely hold the thing while I cut it. I do have a dremel with a diamond blade, which is probably what I'll use. But it will get hot and I'm not sure how much damage it will do to the frags. So I keep procrastinating. On the bright side, it keeps getting bigger and bigger!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, teenyreef said:

The truth is, I'm afraid to frag the merlettis because I don't have a wet band saw. I have a wet tile saw, but I don't see how to safely hold the thing while I cut it. I do have a dremel with a diamond blade, which is probably what I'll use. But it will get hot and I'm not sure how much damage it will do to the frags. So I keep procrastinating. On the bright side, it keeps getting bigger and bigger!

I don't blame you, I'd be super intimidated! 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, soggytoes said:

Hey man love the tank! What size gooseneck are you running on your nanobox tide? Can't decide between the 9" or 15".

Thanks! I switched from the 9" to the 15", but I would switch back if I could. While the 9" is a tiny bit shorter than I liked, the 15" is way too long and it's hard to adjust it to be over the center of the tank.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey, would you still recommend the tunze nano ATO for a 20 gallon? What about the eshopps nano skimmer for a 20? And what budget pump/ pumps would you recommend if I want to keep a mixed reef with a decent amount of acros? 

• 1 month later...

@AvaS, sorry I missed your post, I'm way behind! The Tunze nano ATO is decent but I think the Autoaqua Smart ATO Micro is a better choice. It's smaller and is less likely to get stuck on due to snails. I like the eshopps nano skimmer and I think it would do fine in a 20.

As far as pumps go, it depends on whether you want a separate powerhead. I used a MP-10 powerhead together with the stock pump for recirculation for years with good results. Recently I switched to the Aqamai KPS powerhead, and upgraded the pump to the Jebao DCS-1200, with an IM Spinstream for more random flow, and I like that combination too.

I hope everyone has had a great Christmas and holiday season and has a happy new year! I didn't even get the December tank shots posted, oops...

The tank is doing really well after I restarted weekly water changes and went bare bottom. The sps that were struggling have bounced back, and even the green monticap that I thought was dead is coming back. I've added a few new frags and will get some pictures of them after the new year. In the meantime, here are some December pictures.

FDS (Full Desk Shot):

20181214_183017.jpg

2019-12-09 IM10 FTS:

2018-12-09 IM10 FTS

2018-12-09 IM10 Top Down:

2018-12-09 IM10 Top Down

• Like 6
  • Wow 1

Hey tenny, where do you have your kps mounted, and what settings are you running? 

On a side note, I'm seriously considering going bare bottom and just covering what little floor space I have with corals. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, MrObscura said:

Hey tenny, where do you have your kps mounted, and what settings are you running? 

On a side note, I'm seriously considering going bare bottom and just covering what little floor space I have with corals. 

The kps is in the upper left corner, running the stock random sps program (I think). 

I really like the change to bare bottom. I had most of the bottom covered anyway so losing the sand didn't hurt at all. 

• Thanks 1
On 12/30/2018 at 11:45 AM, Reefkid88 said:

I love how alog with everything that favia in the bottom right corner stands out so well !!! 

Thanks! That one was a sort-of freebie from an LFS "coral of the month" club. I love the color and the way it glows in the tank.

Happy New Year! I actually managed to get a New Year's FTS and top down shot this year 🙂

2019-01-01 IM10 FTS:

2019-01-01 IM10 FTS

2019-01-01 IM10 Top Down:

2019-01-01 IM10 Top Down

• Like 5
  • Wow 4
Christopher Marks

Happy New Year @teenyreef! 🎉

I'm so glad to hear your SPS are recovering, seeing the vibrant green back on that monticap puts a smile on my face! Your nano reef looks great without a sand bed, it was hard to notice at first because the bottom is so well filled in now. Everything seems to be settling in quite well after the removal in fact! How is Doug the puffer doing in the frag tank these days?

• Like 1