Pod Your Reef

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

My order from KP Aquatics came today :haha:

In spite of taking three days to arrive instead of the usual two, everything is still alive and in great shape. Since inverts tend to disappear once they are in the tank, I made sure to take some pictures while they were acclimating.

Group shot:

15935780986_89bc9d4490_b.jpg

Harlequin Serpent Starfish:

15774281700_4d82414190_b.jpg

Red Brittle Starfish:

15961554485_cdf9488d50_b.jpg

Red Mithrax Crab:

15774281220_553ece4306_b.jpg

Emerald Crab. Added at no extra charge from KP Aquatics. Score! :happydance:

Of course, now I have two crabs to keep an eye on to make sure they don't decide to eat corals and fish instead of veggies.

"Mystery" Rics. KP Aquatics says these are various colors that don't really fit into any of their regular color selections. These look to be a very pretty shade of deep green instead of the usual neon green with blue that they sell.

15935779956_246c464382_b.jpg

You know I just got my K&P order and as soon as they hit the tank all the crabs started eating like crazy!

Also I ♥ your red brittle. I miss mine. I had her for over 3 years. She got to be 12" from leg to leg. Never bothered anything and would take food from my hand. She went to a new home when I took down the 65 gallon. She now lives in a 700 gallon :o

• Like 1

Wow, a 12" red brittle! She must have been really impressive! I love mine, she's really pretty.

My KP crabs were exactly the same. It was like they weren't stressed by the shipping at all, just hungry from the long trip :lol:

• Like 1

niceee im jelly!

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing your tank develop :)

Cable tray... Nice idea!

I can't take credit for it - everything I've ever done was copied from somebody else :) But I don't think I've seen it done this simply with a couple pieces of wood before. Most of the ones I've seen were plastic or metal tray purchased on Ebay.

nice build! I love how natural it looks with that rock and the scape is very attractive.

Thank you! I have to confess that after playing with the scape outside the tank for an hour, I got worried that the uncured live rock was going to die. So panicked and threw most of it into the tank in about five minutes. It just kind of fell into place :D

• Like 2

Wow, a 12" red brittle! She must have been really impressive! I love mine, she's really pretty.

My KP crabs were exactly the same. It was like they weren't stressed by the shipping at all, just hungry from the long trip :lol:

Here she is about 8" really cool starfish

redstar.jpg

• Like 3

Those are some awesome starfish! I have been looking for a red brittle star for a while. Guess I will take a look at KP.

Yeah, I really like the red brittle. And KP has been great to deal with. I've ordered from them four or five times now and everything has always arrived in great shape. Take a look at Hvani's pic, though, for a really impressive red brittle :bowdown:

nice cord clean up... I can't show my wife that picture though cause then she would expect me to have mine cleaned up too! LOVE that light.

LOL :lol: Thanks!

• Like 1

I've been working on removing the dictoya algae by hand and it looks a lot better. However, it's definitely not gone, and it remains to be seen whether the crabs and snails will be able to do anything about the rest. This will probably be a long term effort.

Also, I fragged my GSP from the 4g CAD Lights tank last night and put the larger piece in this tank. It's already completely opened back up and looks perfectly happy.

15845857298_6dcc729874_b.jpg

Here are the green rics from KP Aquatics. They will look really nice when they get bigger and contrast with the other colors I plan to put in.

16007508036_767b522626_b.jpg

The red brittle starfish decided to come out for a walk tonight, but before I could get my camera he was mostly back in his rock.

15411025034_50f18912db_b.jpg

• Like 5

Looking good! I love GSP, I think they add a lot of life and color to a tank!

Thanks. I love it too, once I learned to keep it by itself in the sand so it doesn't try to take over the world.

awesome tank! starfish are so cool looking B)

Thanks! My spider hating family members get creeped out sometimes but I think they are beautiful :)

Love it!

My ric from KP got swept into the rocks and I haven't seen it since :(

Bummer :(

I just moved one from my other tank into this tank and almost had the same thing happen.

But in my old tank, I had one get swept into the rocks, and I found him again three months later when I moved some rocks around. He wasn't any worse for the experience although he didn't grow at all in those three months. So there's hope :)

So I broke up with my old plan of only ordering special and expensive corals after long consideration. Saltcritters was having a nice sale with lots of corals marked down and free overnight shipping with only $100 ordered. So I got five rics, a rainbow acan, and a blasto merletti all for $105. Who can resist $10 frags when the shipping is free? omgomgomg

I also moved one of my green rics from my 4g tank (where it was overcrowded) into this tank tonight. So hopefully I'll have a nice little ric garden by tomorrow night :)

Mr. New Guy is in the back in this pic. He's still shriveled up from being cut loose and moved but you can see how much more color he's developed over the months in the old tank, compared to the guys I just got. I think the different shades of green will look nice with the other contrasting colors coming from Saltcritters.

16047935975_4b1560282e_b.jpg

• Like 5

One of the things I love about this hobby is that I have a new excuse to leave work early - "I have to go home to sign for a package (of corals/fish)".

My package from Saltcritters went out for delivery this morning and is supposed to be delivered early this afternoon. So I left work early but when I got close to home I passed a broken down UPS truck. I sure hope that's not the truck with my corals! :huh:

In other news, the green ric I moved from my 4g tank last night decided he didn't like his nice comfy sandbed. He spread his wings and flew away somewhere else in the tank and is out of sight. I'll have to get the turkey baster out and see if I can blow him out from wherever he landed in or under the rocks.

• Like 4

Well, either the UPS guy got his truck fixed, or my corals were on another truck. They just showed up! :happydance:

Everything looks to be in good shape. One of the rics is detached from his frag plug so I'll have to work on getting him reattached to the frag or a piece of rock. The bags are sitting in the tank now getting warmed up - cell phone pic:

16050792852_b3f9bd38c6_b.jpg

• Like 5

I took a few pictures just to document what everything looks like right after going into the tank. Everybody is a little pale and shrunken but overall not bad for having just come out of shipping. I'm particularly happy that everything looks exactly like it did on the Saltcritters web site :)

Ric garden (yuma in front):

15432624133_e62f42a985_b.jpg

Blasto Merletti:

15864988680_bdf31bbe24_b.jpg

Rainbow Acan (red brittle star photobombing):

15432624543_478f31ba65_b.jpg

Another angle on the rics:

16052266955_103922deee_b.jpg

Ricordea Yuma:

15866512457_10c70db3e9_b.jpg

• Like 4

I've heard the serpent stars can catch and eat fish, so watch out! Tank is looking good btw! I'm looking forward to getting some sand, LR, and water in mine this weekend!

• Like 2