Pod Your Reef

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

9 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I haven't posted any new pictures in a while! Here's an updated FTS and top down. I put a few new corals in to replace the PC rainbow and the forest fire digi that STN'd for no apparent reason last month. Now there's a blue stylo and a bubble montipora frag in their place. I also placed a red dragron acro at the top of the rocks - so far it seems to like it there.

2018-03-26 IM10 FTS:

2018-03-25 IM10 FTS

2018-03-25 IM10 Top Down:

2018-03-25 IM10 Top Down

Dude. This tank...

• Like 4
On 3/26/2018 at 9:51 AM, DaveFason said:

Dude. This tank...

Haha, thanks Dave! The lighting definitely makes for great colors. 

On 3/26/2018 at 1:07 AM, AvaS said:

Your tank is absolutely jaw dropping!!!! I think the ricordea garden is coming together.. maybe a neon green one or a pinkish one would look nice! 

Thanks! Just got a couple more from @Cultivated Reef, a rainbow and a teal one. This picture is right after gluing and trying them down.

Ricordea Garden

• Like 4

Things are going pretty well with the tank lately. Alk dosing consumption has doubled over the last month, and that's because everything is growing. The new rics are doing well, too.

The only problem I've had is that about a week ago, I realized I hadn't seen either of the peppermint shrimp in a day or two. And they haven't reappeared. I know puffers will eat shrimp, but Doug never showed any interest in them before, so don't really know what happened to them. It just seems weird to lose both of the at the same time, and there's been no sign of dead bodies or shells or anything.

In other circumstances, I'd actually be relieved, since I didn't really need them after they ate all the aiptasia, and they tend to steal food from the corals. But sure enough, the very next day after I noticed they were gone, I noticed a new aiptasia growing near the very top of the tank. Seriously? Do the aiptasia have some kind of full spectrum intelligence program, and have just been lying in wait for the peppermint shrimp to go away?

• Sad 1
10 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Thank you! Good luck with your new tank!

Thanks! Happy to have it up and running! Your tanks are just absolutely amazing and I hope mine comes as far as yours did one day! 

Amazing tank, Teeny. Absolutely stunning. Your tank is truly and inspiration. Its awesome to go back through this thread and see the progress.

Tagging along! I am just getting back in after a needed break after an out of town tank crash. This hobby always seems to pull you back in... and tanks like yours do not make it any easier to resist the pull :D

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Kdrof said:

Amazing tank, Teeny. Absolutely stunning. Your tank is truly and inspiration. Its awesome to go back through this thread and see the progress.

Tagging along! I am just getting back in after a needed break after an out of town tank crash. This hobby always seems to pull you back in... and tanks like yours do not make it any easier to resist the pull :D

True Dat!

• Like 1

Hey, how do you feel about the nanobox tide plus? I have heard so many great things but would like to know your thoughts. I have come across a NanoBox Mini Tide plus m that is lightly used for my new tank and want to know your thoughts on it. This would be my first time using a bluefish controller or nanobox light. Is it easy to use and control? Have you been able to grow basically any type of coral under it?  Thanks and let me know because I may be considering getting it for the 7 gallon ?

• Like 1
13 hours ago, AvaS said:

Hey, how do you feel about the nanobox tide plus? I have heard so many great things but would like to know your thoughts. I have come across a NanoBox Mini Tide plus m that is lightly used for my new tank and want to know your thoughts on it. This would be my first time using a bluefish controller or nanobox light. Is it easy to use and control? Have you been able to grow basically any type of coral under it?  Thanks and let me know because I may be considering getting it for the 7 gallon ?

If you can get a decent price on a used one, snap it up. It probably won't be on the market long. But check to see which generation of LED pucks it has, the newer generations have improved LED colors and are worth more. You can check old sale listing for the same model light here on N-R to get an idea for what prices they typically sell for.

They all, including the older ones, provide some of the best colors you can get for corals, and they have enough PAR for anything. I have a Nanobox Plus M on this tank and you can see how well it's working for me :)

Note: @DaveFason does not give me anything to review his stuff, although he did give me a discount on a wide quad for my 40g tank, but that was because it was a prototype model. :D

Dave's a great guy and goes above and beyond to support his products. Just as a recent example, I had a problem with the driver board on my Nanobox hybrid on my 30g tank. Dave texted with me on weekends and evenings helping me troubleshoot the problem, just so I wouldn't have to box up the whole light and ship it back to him. Then when he figured out the driver was bad, he sent me a new board. Mind you, this light is at least a couple years old, and I bought it used from somebody else, not from Dave. 

• Like 1

Sorry I haven't posted many pictures lately, I think I have too many tanks. :unsure:

But I did get a few pictures tonight. I wanted to capture a few new corals I put in about a month ago, and show off some of the sps that are starting to do really well. You can judge for yourself how things color up with this light.

The california tort has been growing slowly, but the new growth has got that really pretty shade of blue cali torts are known for. You can also see the new aiptasia to the right of the tort :(

California Tort

The red dragon acro is a frag from the 40g that I put in here about a month ago. I think it's getting a better (less) level of light than in the 40g, because the red is much deeper and prettier here than it is in the 40g. You can see some cool little feather worms at the bottom of the picture right next to the cali tort. They were hitchhikers, and have survived everything that's ever happened in this tank.

Red Dragon Acropora

Another frag from the 40g tank, a purple stylo, called "Showcase Stylo" from AquaSD. Time to trim the red monticap back again...but I'm waiting to see if the stylo wins the battle. You can see where the red monti is bleached near the cali tort tips at the top of the picture. That's fine with me, since monticaps grow so fast. I want the acros and stylos to win :) 

ASD Showcase Stylo

This is the last new frag, a tiny piece of bubblegum montipora that I accidentally broke off in the 40g tank. It's coloring up nicely. There's also some kind of rainbow montipora literally coming back from the dead in the middle of the picture. I put the bubblegum where it is because I thought the rainbow had died. But once I took the picture I realized it's not dead, and seems to be making a comeback!

Bubblegum Montipora

Finally, my favorite coral in the tank, the ORA Pearlberry acro. It has been growing and growing, and the color is fantastic. Pretty soon I'm going to have to start fragging it so it doesn't take over the whole tank :D

ORA Pearlberry

• Like 8
12 hours ago, teenyreef said:

If you can get a decent price on a used one, snap it up. It probably won't be on the market long. But check to see which generation of LED pucks it has, the newer generations have improved LED colors and are worth more. You can check old sale listing for the same model light here on N-R to get an idea for what prices they typically sell for.

They all, including the older ones, provide some of the best colors you can get for corals, and they have enough PAR for anything. I have a Nanobox Plus M on this tank and you can see how well it's working for me :)

Note: @DaveFason does not give me anything to review his stuff, although he did give me a discount on a wide quad for my 40g tank, but that was because it was a prototype model. :D

Dave's a great guy and goes above and beyond to support his products. Just as a recent example, I had a problem with the driver board on my Nanobox hybrid on my 30g tank. Dave texted with me on weekends and evenings helping me troubleshoot the problem, just so I wouldn't have to box up the whole light and ship it back to him. Then when he figured out the driver was bad, he sent me a new board at no charge. Mind you, this light is at least a couple years old, and I bought it used from somebody else, not from Dave. 

Hey, thanks so much for the reply! I will ask what generation of led pucks it is running. I am not sure if I asked because I can’t remember but are you attending RAP Orlando? Great pics of the tank and keep up the great work! 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, AvaS said:

Hey, thanks so much for the reply! I will ask what generation of led pucks it is running. I am not sure if I asked because I can’t remember but are you attending RAP Orlando? Great pics of the tank and keep up the great work! 

Thanks, and good luck with the light!

Sadly, I'm not going to RAP. Orlando's about a twelve hour drive from my part of Virginia, and I couldn't find a good excuse to fly down there for work. It sounds like it's going to be a great show, though!

18 hours ago, pappadumplingz said:

Damn that pearlberry is nice. Is it a deepwater?

Thanks - I really love this one. It's not deepwater, it's a typical shallow water acro and likes lots of light and flow.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Thanks, and good luck with the light!

Sadly, I'm not going to RAP. Orlando's about a twelve hour drive from my part of Virginia, and I couldn't find a good excuse to fly down there for work. It sounds like it's going to be a great show, though!

Thanks! I could not remember if you said you were attending or not, and 12 hours in a car would be a little too long for me too ??

• Like 1
StephLionfish

Your tank is so stunning! Such amazing growth and colors.

Is your only filtration still filter floss and carbon?

What coral glue did you use for the rics?

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, StephLionfish said:

Your tank is so stunning! Such amazing growth and colors.

Is your only filtration still filter floss and carbon?

What coral glue did you use for the rics?

Thanks! Yes, floss plus the skimmer. I run carbon once a month for three to five days. I dose NoPox to keep nutrients under control. 

I didn't glue the rics, but I tied them on with clear fishing line. They usually attach pretty quickly but I leave the line on for a month or so just to make sure. 

39 minutes ago, RIP Sebastian said:

That pearlberry is such a stunner! How're the Kenya Tree frags doing?

They're doing well and are ready to ship out. I'll be PM'ing folks later tonight. 

I love, LOVE your tank!!!! What kind of puffer is it? I thought they were not reef safe?

I have  8 gallon at the moment (cube), with a aquaclear HOB and everything but I 'm not satisfied. The aquascaping needs some major changes, but I wanna an AIO, and since my kids will be visiting their grandparents for a few days next week...well I thought it would be a perfect time for a switch for an IM fusion 10!!! :D and well since that puffer is sooo adorable...well I might have to get one too!!!:lol:

• Like 1
Just now, Melfy77 said:

I love, LOVE your tank!!!! What kind of puffer is it? I thought they were not reef safe?

I have  8 gallon at the moment (cube), with a aquaclear HOB and everything but I 'm not satisfied. The aquascaping needs some major changes, but I wanna an AIO, and since my kids will be visiting their grandparents for a few days next week...well I thought it would be a perfect time for a switch for an IM fusion 10!!! :D and well since that puffer is sooo adorable...well I might have to get one too!!!:lol:

Thank you! Doug the puffer is a leopard toby puffer. Many of the toby puffers are reef safe, although as always, individuals may vary. They like snails and shrimp but Doug mostly just eats mysis.

Good luck with the new IM10, and let me know when you start a build thread for it! Check in over in the IM10 owner's thread too.