Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

I did a water change today and took a few pictures. Here's a new top down:

2017-10-01 IM10 Top Down

I went to a local coral show last weekend, and didn't buy a thing. Ha ha, fat chance :)

I ended up with a lot of new corals, most of which ended up in the 40g. But I put a few in this tank too. 

Step one in restarting the ricordea florida garden:

20171001-untitled-021-Edit.jpg

Red planet, hope it stays red! 

Red Planet

This one is from Joe Knows Reefs, called Boba Fett. A local reefer has this one and actually compared it favorably to the Walt Disney acro. We'll see...not much color yet. 

20171001-untitled-017-Edit.jpg

Acan garden:

20171001-untitled-019-Edit.jpg

PC rainbow:

PC Rainbow

Zoas:

20171001-untitled-022-Edit.jpg

More zoas. If you look carefully you can also see aiptasia. Arrgh. 

20171001-untitled-023-Edit.jpg

I need to trim the monti caps back before this neon green acro gets shaded out. 

20171001-untitled-010.jpg

Hammers:

20171001-untitled-012.jpg

• Like 11
  • Wow 4

Looking awesome! Nice new additions! Especially that ricordea! Lovely color on that one! I like how it's more of a cold yellow instead of the standard orange.

The zoa rocks and scan garden are also looking stunning! Love all the bright, primary colors all packed together.

• Like 1
On 10/2/2017 at 3:16 AM, Felicia said:

Looking awesome! Nice new additions! Especially that ricordea! Lovely color on that one! I like how it's more of a cold yellow instead of the standard orange.

The zoa rocks and scan garden are also looking stunning! Love all the bright, primary colors all packed together.

Thanks! Ironically, the only thing that was really on my list for the coral show was to get some ricordea florida mushrooms. But with all the storms hitting Florida they were actually very rare. I only found one in the whole show. At least it was a good one :)

On 10/2/2017 at 4:08 AM, Rory282 said:

Looks awesome Teeny, that ricordea pic is fantastic!

Thank you! Ricordeas make great macro subjects :)

• Like 1

I missed uploading this one the other night. The ORA Pearlberry is loving the conditions where it is in the tank. The colors look great and it's growing fast.

ORA Pearlberry

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2017 at 8:00 AM, Pjanssen said:

as always :wub:

Thanks Penny! 

On 10/17/2017 at 8:23 AM, RollaJase said:

Gorgeous :wub:

Thanks! How are you doing, Jase? 

On 10/17/2017 at 8:42 AM, DaveFason said:

Incredible John. Love seeing this tank bounce back so well. 

-Dave

Thank you! I'm pretty happy with the progress so far. 

• Like 2

By far one of my favorite IM 10's. I originally planed to do something similar to this in mine but realized that I do not have the patience for keeping so many demanding corals in such a small box so I went all softies. How is the red planet doing? I just got a green planet for my new tank Im starting up and havent had ORA corals before.

• Like 2

Wow, amazing tank!  Its rare to see a tank this small with growth and coloration on corals, including SPS, so intense!  I've tried to skim the thread for more information, but could you speak to your water quality plan for this tank?  Do you rely on water changes to keep calc/alk where they should be or do you dose?  What solution did you end up with for your ATO?  Anything you would change or do differently if you were starting over (bare bottom maybe?).  Thanks!

• Like 1
20 hours ago, pappadumplingz said:

Tank is looking great man! Have you ever considered becoming Jason Fox and grafting a few of your monti frags? Would look sick imo

Well I'm no Jason Fox but have considered it. In fact, I glued a couple frags together on one plug about a month ago, and put it in the 30g frag tank. I'm still waiting to see if they graft together, though. I'll try to get a picture of them soon.

• Like 3
Just now, teenyreef said:

Thanks! Good luck with your crash recovery!

Thanks.. Things are getting better already.. slowly adding things back.. Your tank has been my inspiration..

• Like 1
20 hours ago, 1967type1 said:

By far one of my favorite IM 10's. I originally planed to do something similar to this in mine but realized that I do not have the patience for keeping so many demanding corals in such a small box so I went all softies. How is the red planet doing? I just got a green planet for my new tank Im starting up and havent had ORA corals before.

It's still alive, which is much better than I did with the last two I tried :unsure:

It has a lost some of the deep red coloration and has more green. I know they like a lot of PAR, and I have it right at the top of the tank, so maybe it just needs to get used to the parameters in this tank.

Here's a picture:

Red Planet

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Ryebreadiest said:

Wow, amazing tank!  Its rare to see a tank this small with growth and coloration on corals, including SPS, so intense!  I've tried to skim the thread for more information, but could you speak to your water quality plan for this tank?  Do you rely on water changes to keep calc/alk where they should be or do you dose?  What solution did you end up with for your ATO?  Anything you would change or do differently if you were starting over (bare bottom maybe?).  Thanks!

Thanks! I stated using the ATI Elements dosing system about a month ago, which means no water changes. We'll see how that goes, because this tank tends to run high on nutrients and I've always relied partly on water changes to keep things under control. I've always does two part, but the ATI systems includes all the trace elements too.

I dose NoPox to keep nitrates under control, and I put in a drop of PhosphateRx every few days to keep phosphates down.

When I tested yesterday, nitrates were up from 12 to about 25 over the last month since I stopped doing water changes. But phosphates are still good at .02. I bumped the NoPox up by about 25% but since all the corals still look good, and I don't have algae problems right now, I'm not doing anything drastic to chase numbers.

As far as the ATO goes, I use the Tunze Nano. It's not the best choice because it has a float sensor that can be affected by snails, but I already had it from a previous tank. I use the AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro on one of my other tanks and highly recommend that one.

If I was starting over, the one thing I'd do differently would be to be even more vigilant about inspecting rocks and frag for pests. I got vermetid worms from frags I transferred from my old tank, and I got aiptasia from another frag. I eventually got rid of the vermetid worms, and Doug the puffer helps keep them from coming back, but the aiptasia have recently started to multiply and I'm going to try some peppermint shrimp soon. Hopefully Doug won't eat them...

I promised a picture of my attempt to graft monti caps. I put a green frag and a red frag next to each other on one plug and left it sitting in the 30g frag tank. That tank has trouble with keeping enough nutrients, so sps tend to turn pale in there right now. But they are growing, so hopefully if I give it enough time they'll graft together.

Wannabee Grafted Caps

In this tank, there's a tiny spot of green in the middle of the red monticap. Sometimes I wonder if I trimmed the cap back enough so the green is on the growing edge, if it would expand.

Joe's Boba Fett Acro

By the way, that purple/green acropora on the left is new, I've had it in this tank since picking it up at the MAMAS reef show early this month. It lost a little of it's color but it seems to be staying alive which makes me super excited. The reason I'm so excited is that I got this from Joe at Joe Knows Reefs at the show. He's an old fried of @DaveFason of Nanobox, so I made sure to say hi. I asked him what his favorite coral was of all the ones he brought, and he said it was this one called "Boba Fett". He said when it colors up it looks really good, and I know Dave has gotten some incredible looking corals from him, so I took a chance on it for $100. A few days later, Aquanerd posted a story about this coral: http://aquanerd.com/2017/10/featured-coral-of-the-week-1042017-joes-signature-boba-fett-acropora.html

There are more pictures in the article, but here's a picture of a WSIWYG frag Joe just sold for about $400. Note: this picture is not from my tank, and I didn't take it. So it might not look this good in real life. But the other pictures in the article seem to confirm the general idea :o

IMG_7518

• Like 5
pappadumplingz

Nice graft! Depending on what tank I upgrade to, I kinda want to try grafting. Seems like an efficient way to make unique corals. That boba fett acro is really nice too.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DaveFason said:

So glad you got with Joey! He is a great guy with corals that rival many others. 

I should be receiving new corals from him soon as well. :D

-Dave

Color me jelly :)

2 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

how are the GBGs doing?  still have them all?

That's a good question. There's at least one in there still, you can see him on the acans in the last top down shot. But as recently as two weeks ago I saw two at once so I'm not sure how many are in there still :huh: